New York, NY | March 11, 2020
About Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. With offices in New York, NY and Washington, DC, Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
- Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends
- The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected
- Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance
- As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments
The Human Resources & Administration team works to provide exceptional delivery of services to staff and leadership and to form and maintain relationships with external partners. The team is a critical steward and champion for Wellspring’s vision of a positive organizational culture, a vibrant workplace, a celebration of staff diversity, and a deeply held commitment to racial, gender and economic justice. The team partners with staff and management to cultivate and uphold the institutional culture of commitment to the mission, humility, respect, teamwork and support for each other, and confidentiality.
For more information on Wellspring Philanthropic Fund, please visit www.wpfund.org.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is seeking an experienced Human Resources and Project Management professional to join this dynamic 6-person team. This newly created Deputy Director position will report to, and collaborate closely with, the Director of HR & Administration, to translate the department’s strategic priorities into a well-articulated sequence of department activities and plans. The Deputy will help to ensure an optimal use of department resources, timely execution of projects and day-to-day operations, high quality service delivery, and consistent attention to opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of core services.
This is an incredible opportunity for an HR and Project Management professional with deep organizational skills and a continuous improvement mindset. The Deputy Director ‘s responsibilities will fall into four broad categories, each of which is central to the role:
Values Alignment and Commitment to the Mission
- Demonstrate and cultivate a shared commitment to Wellspring’s mission and values
- Embody and promote a deep sensitivity and respect for a diversity of beliefs, work styles, practices and lived experiences
- Facilitate teamwork while balancing a consultative approach with a results orientation
People and Relationship Management
- Directly supervise up to three team members, establishing goals, managing performance, providing mentoring, coaching and development opportunities
- Manage relationships and contracts with vendors and outsourced partners, including building management, construction and service vendors as well as the Foundation’s Professional Employer Organization
- Support the HR Director and other team members with on-going efforts to promote effective communication and collaboration across teams
Human Resources & Administration Planning
- Review processes and services that support the full employee life-cycle with a particular focus on recruitment, onboarding and learning
- Ensure high levels of communication with internal stakeholders regarding service delivery expectations, deadlines, and changes in procedures
- Manage the timely and responsive execution of facilities administration functions such as office space allocation, furniture and equipment procurement, construction projects, security and emergency preparedness
- Collaborate with the HR Director and HR Manager to ensure effective budget management
Project Management, Continuous Improvement & Change Management
- With a focus on continuous improvement, function as Project Manager on departmental projects
- Translate department strategic priorities into clear and well-sequenced department plans which ensure optimal use of resources, attention to team capacity, and provide a clear understanding of workflow priorities and deliverables across the team
- Make recommendations for continuous improvements and where necessary for automation and/or streamlining to improve efficiencies
- Project manage the RFP process, selection, and implementation of a new HRIS system
- Automate the HR employee manual
- Facilitate communication and training of team members and end users on the use of new systems and procedures
- Strengthen project planning, design and management capacity of team members. Initiate regular routines to help the team identify learnings and incorporate them into future projects.
- Regularly solicit and review feedback from department stakeholders to identify opportunities to improve service delivery and coordination
- Ensure consultative and inclusive approaches to developing policy and process changes and to negotiating projects and deliverables across departments
The ideal candidate will demonstrate solid HR and administrative functional expertise as well as deep project planning and management experience. The candidate will bring the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 8 years of professional work experience, with at least 5 in a comparable role
- Broad knowledge and understanding of human resource operations, preferably in a growing organization. Direct experience designing and managing systems and processes to support the employee life cycle from talent planning through recruitment, management, development and retention is required. PHR or SHRM-CP certification a plus
- Deep project management experience with a demonstrated track record planning and managing multiple simultaneous projects, facilitating cross functional teamwork, and leading internal change and improvement efforts. PMP certification is a plus
- Direct experience leading an HRIS implementation project is preferred
- Excellent staff management, coaching and development skills are essential
- Familiarity with and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging best practices
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment using exceptional planning, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills. Able to engage effectively with stakeholders at various levels
- Highly collaborative and collegial team player with a good sense of humor
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills. Super user of Excel and other automated data and information management systems required
- High degree of personal and professional maturity, integrity and judgement; Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, tact and humility
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary for this role will be $150,000-$160,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits, including life insurance, long-term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment or college savings assistance for dependents, and is committed to providing transgender-inclusive healthcare.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Jennene Tierney and Molly Brennan are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund believes it is strengthened by the diversity of its staff, and welcomes such diversity, including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. Wellspring welcomes applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and strongly encourages people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. Wellspring actively cultivates and institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity, and inclusion that it seeks to amplify in the larger world.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.