New York, NY | April 14, 2020
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world. Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
Candid gets you the information you need to do good.
We see a future in which
- everyone speaks honestly about what they do, what works, and what can be improved
- people and organizations can make the greatest impact
- private resources are deployed more effectively toward the public good
We want to help
- people evaluate and share their work and the work of others
- have access to tools that help them do their best work
- improve their skills so they can improve the world
We’re driven. We make an impact in everything we do.
We’re direct. We communicate with integrity and clarity.
We’re accessible. We ask, “How can we help?” and we mean it.
We’re curious. We listen, collaborate, and innovate.
We’re inclusive. We incorporate equity, inclusion, and respect for diverse perspectives in all our work.
What we do
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world. Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization.
The Vice President of Finance Opportunity
Candid is looking for an experienced VP of Finance to join their executive leadership team. This person will be responsible for leading and providing strategic direction for all finance and accounting related functions. In particular, we are looking for someone with familiarity in subscription-based SaaS products and experience partnering with IT teams on complex systems integration projects.
The VP of Finance provides leadership for Candid’s finances, including the primary responsibility of maintaining the financial health and stability of the organization as it relates to strategic and tactical financial matters. The daily financial priorities include the supervision of budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting, and planning needs. The VP of Finance oversees the Finance & Accounting team.
- Oversee Candid’s finance and accounting function, providing leadership and direction to the finance team.
- Create and oversee an organizational budgeting process.
- Refine, monitor, and correct a monthly budget-to-actual tracking system.
- Help implement a new chart of accounts and combined systems for Candid.
- Engage with our auditors about our organizational audit, 990, benefit plan audits, and other matters as needed.
- Monitor our portfolio of long-term investments with Candid’s investment advisor.
- Support and make presentations to the Candid Board of Directors and two of its committees: Finance & Investment and Audit.
- Advise, manage, and implement Candid’s fiduciary responsibilities including the development of long-term financial planning strategies and budgets.
- Translate Candid strategy into financial plans and build the capability of Candid staff to understand and implement them.
- Assess current finance systems; design and implement best practices in internal controls and financial/contractual policies and procedures.
- Design and implement enterprise risk management strategy; map and track risks; model best practices regarding risk management.
- Guide the creation of relevant analyses and forecasting reports to enable decision-making and long-term planning.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, the introduction of new programs/strategies, and regulatory action.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the President, Executive Team, and Board based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in developing new business, identifying new funding opportunities, drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
The VP should be adept at gathering and evaluating financial and operations data and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership and the board of directors. The VP will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and attributes:
- Fifteen+ years of finance experience including an understanding of fund accounting and subscription revenue.
- Experience with NetSuite, particularly with eCommerce and CRM integrations.
- Extensive knowledge in complex order to cash processes, ideally those with subscription models.
- Other systems-related expertise in Salesforce, Oracle PBCS, and Hyperion is preferred.
- Experience with complex systems integrations such as Nexonia or Expensify for expense management, Tipalti for AP automation, and UltiPro for HCM and Payroll is ideal.
- Excellent financial, accounting, supervisory, analytical, and administrative skills; experience handling multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously; ability to plan, organize, and follow through with senior management.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with auditors, bankers, and other financial providers and vendors.
- Experience in the supervision of administrative functions, including planning, budgeting, compliance, reporting, and forecasting.
- Demonstrated success in working with teams of diverse, strong, creative people to achieve common goals; ability to work effectively with staff in other departments and with peers in other organizations.
- Experience in the social sector is beneficial, but not required; if coming from a for-profit, board experience with a large global or national nonprofit, including participation on a finance or audit committee, is ideal.
- Ability to balance the demands of big-picture strategy with a day-to-day orientation to important details.
- Bachelor’s degree; a related advanced degree such as MBA or CPA is preferred.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. The salary will be commensurate with experience. Candid offers medical and dental insurance, a 403b plan, and paid PTO days.
Candid has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To express interest in this opportunity, please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms at Koya here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits and NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.