Oakland, CA | May 4, 2020
About Daily Kos
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, Daily Kos is transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
Daily Kos fights for a progressive America by empowering its community and allies with information and tools to directly impact the political process. We are here to connect, unite, and work together toward a common purpose, whether it’s to elect more and better Democrats, to advocate for specific issues, or even to socialize among like-minded friends. But ultimately, we are fighting to make ours a stronger, more effective, more progressive Democratic Party.
Daily Kos operates under Kos Media, LLC. Kos Media also includes a public opinion survey and data company Civiqs, which serves political and corporate clients, and an affiliated 501c3 organization, Prism, which centers underrepresented leaders and stories.
For more information on Daily Kos, please visit dailykos.com.
Kos Media is seeking a VP, People, Finance & Operations during a pivotal next phase of growth. Reporting to the President, the Vice President will act as a key member of Kos Media’s leadership team and will play a critical role in the strategic management of the company, leading, developing, and mentoring the teams responsible for Kos Media’s operations functions.
The VP, People, Finance & Operations provides strategic leadership and managerial oversight of key organizational development functions including people & culture development, strategic planning, internal communications, and legal. The VP will also be responsible for setting direction and managing relationships with outsource partners and vendors that support Kos Media information technology and facilities infrastructure. Additionally, the VP will set the financial strategy for Kos Media’s operating budget while also leading the finance team to design and deliver the financial processes and systems needed to support Kos Media’s growth.
The VP, People, Finance & Operations will serve as a strategic partner to the company’s senior leaders, providing strong operational guidance regarding the kinds of strategies, policies, and systems needed to support the growth and development of Kos Media’s growth and development. This is an ideal opportunity for a proven leader to apply their broad operations and organizational development expertise toward Kos Media’s mission of empowering people and organizations to impact the political process.
The ideal candidate will bring strategic HR, financial, and operational leadership skills and experience as well as a direct, collegial, and engaging management and communications style. A demonstrated track record leading through organizational growth and change is essential for success in this role. Core responsibilities include:
Mission & Culture Alignment
- Embrace and promote the emergence of a diversity of ideas, experiences, cultures, and voices among and across Kos Media teams and partners
- Model and facilitate teamwork and communications that enable proud, passionate, and inclusive activism
- Facilitate leadership and partnership with Kos Media staff to support and advance the organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and other culture-building efforts
Organizational Leadership & Development
- Serve as a member of the Kos Media leadership team, setting organizational strategy, facilitating long-range planning, and providing financial and operational oversight
- Lead, manage, mentor, and develop a cross-functional team, working across all infrastructure areas, including human resources, operations, finance, legal, facilities, and information technology
- Own the strategic planning and organizational development functions of the organization
- Recognize and anticipate opportunities and challenges via business analyses as they relate to organization-wide systems, culture, and operations, generating ideas, strategies, and solutions to drive impact
- In partnership with the President, communicate effectively with Kos Media LLC partners and funders, ensuring all parties clearly understand the organizations operational and financial health
Human Resources & Operational Oversight and Coordination
- Oversee and support Human Resources to ensure best-in-class practices. Serve as a thought partner and approver on employment policies and practices, benefits, and regulatory compliance
- Develop critical organization-wide systems, policies, and processes, ensuring that staff, information, and technology work effectively across departments
- Maintain relationships with legal counsel and engage as necessary
- Manage Kos Media’s facilities and support our mostly virtual staff located across the country
Financial Acumen & Management
- Oversee budgetary planning, accounting, compliance, and risk, in alignment with our strategic plan
- Produce financial models, scenario planning, and cash flow projections to ensure proper funds available to meet operational and capital needs
- Refine and develop tools, systems, and communications/guidance to provide effective and efficient finance and information technology functions
- Manage a finance team to ensure the execution of operational finance (i.e. management of accounts payable and receivable, fund tracking, etc.) and the timely delivery of all internally and externally mandated financial reports
- In collaboration with finance staff, streamline accounting processes and practices, and prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements in a timely manner
- Maintain internal control safeguards and oversee all audit activities
- Oversee preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics
Desired Skills and Characteristics
- A minimum of 10 years of strategic people, financial and operational leadership and management experience
- A proactive and results-driven leader with a proven track record of success in similar roles, particularly during moments of organizational growth and development
- Experience leading cross-cutting organizational functions such as organizational development, strategic planning, change management, and culture building in a way that provides greater communication, coordination, and cohesion across diverse functions and teams
- Track record leading high-performing operational functions such as human resources, information technology, facilities, and legal
- Strong HR functional expertise; knowledgeable on employment law matters, and compliance management and performance management
- Extensive experience gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations and process improvements
- Comprehensive understanding and mastery of financial reporting and budget auditing; within non-profit finance a plus
- Excellent relationship and trust building capabilities and a demonstrated track record building, leading, and managing teams; serving as a coach and mentor to staff across a range of areas
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to confidently interact with a diverse staff—at all levels—within a virtual work environment
- Understanding of and/or firsthand experience with Daily Kos (dailykos.com) and its associated organizations Civiqs and Prism a plus
- Must be able to meet the work requirements of a 40-hour/week, full-time exempt position
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States
- The position is based in Oakland, CA, but other locations can be considered for the right candidate
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary range for this role is $160,000-$190,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Kos Media also offers excellent benefits including full medical, dental, and vision benefits; optional 401(k) with a company match; a generous vacation package; a flexible work environment with the ability to work remotely or from home and a remote worker stipend; and employer-paid parental/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long-term position.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Jennene Tierney are leading this search. To express your interest in this role, please click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Daily Kos believes that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees. Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.