Newark, NJ | November 22, 2019
NJIT seeks individuals who embrace the institution’s mission and promote innovation and collaboration for the position of Vice Provost & Chief Information Officer (VP CIO).
As New Jersey’s public polytechnic university, New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) prepares students to become leaders in the technology-dependent economy of the 21st century. NJIT’s multidisciplinary curriculum and computing-intensive approach to education provide technological proficiency, business acumen, and leadership skills. NJIT is rated an “R1” research university by the Carnegie Classification, which indicates the highest level of research activity, conducts approximately $170 million in research activity each year and has a $2.8 billion annual economic impact on the State of New Jersey.
For more information on NJIT, visit https://www.njit.edu/
The VP CIO will be charged with developing and implementing a comprehensive campus IT strategy and will provide the leadership necessary to optimize data and information to support the institution’s mission and operational and strategic priorities. The individual will promote and enable IT services that support innovation and exploration and balance nimble and agile operations with highly reliable, available and secure capabilities.
The VP CIO will be a thought leader with a holistic approach who values innovation and communicates a strategic vision. The ability to collaborate and to build bridges and relationships with faculty, administrators, students, and a diverse set of stakeholders is a must. The VP CIO must have excellent relationship-building skills and a hands-on management style and adept in working in unionized environments. Respect and advocacy for diversity in all its forms, including diversity of thought and perspective, are essential attributes. The capacity to understand and embrace the mission, purpose, and culture of a public urban research university is essential. Budget management and staff oversight in progressively responsible relevant positions is highly desirable.
- Develop, champion, and implement the IT vision, strategy and supporting roadmaps aligned with NJIT’s 2025 strategic plan, which allow the rapid implementation of solutions for a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic institution.
- Manage a central IT organization of 60 employees, and mentor, empower and retrain staff to ensure the IT function has the necessary skills and capabilities to create value.
- Establish communication and governance rules for IT operations. Implement a metrics framework/dashboard to hold the IT organization accountable for strategic IT initiatives. Track and regularly communicate project effectiveness, including implementation timing, ROI, and user satisfaction.
- Work closely with faculty, students, and technology teams to improve and innovate learning management solutions and expand online learning capabilities.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive management and leadership responsibilities within information technology.
- Technical credibility with demonstrated knowledge of networking, communications, Web, hosting, information security, and ERP systems.
- Proven ability to engage with faculty, students, staff and university leadership to assess the current state of IT services and build and execute short-term and long-term strategies and roadmaps that improve IT services and user experiences.
- Experience managing an IT organization that is highly unionized with experience in assessing an IT organization to identify and make required changes to staff and skill sets that will support innovation, improve services, and create value.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a highly demanding environment and have the patience and persistence needed to impact IT. Leader with a track record of building and maintaining strong strategic partnerships and relationships. A leader who is articulate, persuasive, organized, and realistic.
- Strong customer focus. Professional attributes that would include being flexible, confident yet humble, ambitious but not aggressive, strategic, proactive, collegial and respectful.
- A CIO adept at developing, championing, and delivering strategic plans and visions in support of an institution’s long-term mission.
January 31, 2020, no applications will be considered past this date.
NJIT has retained the services of Diversified Search to assist in this search. Please submit a cover note and resume to NJITCIO@divsearch.com (please reference search #14070).
Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.