New Visions for Public Schools is seeking a talented and experienced leader to join their team as the Vice President, Talent Development. The Vice President, Talent Development will oversee the New Visions for Public Schools’ efforts to build supports for a comprehensive career ladder for educators and leaders, encompassing initial teacher certification, mentor teacher and teacher-leader training, development of specific expertise needed by high schools and the training of school administrators. In addition, the Vice President, Talent Development is responsible for cultivating and nurturing key stakeholder relationships with Hunter College, the national and NYC education community, and with political and civic organizations.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, evolving, innovative environment that is grounded in school experience with a commitment to data. In particular, strong candidates will possess the strategic, problem solving and communication skills to enhance the performance of the talent development program Directors and their teams, bring knowledge and experience from their previous work in education with clear understanding of the challenges and opportunities in K-12 education, and will have familiarity with working with higher education entities and NYDOE. This is a full-time exempt position based in New York City, NY.
- Oversee the management of two teacher certification programs, created and implemented jointly with Hunter College.
- Manage the development and on-going delivery of the CLASS Program, New Visions partnership with Hunter College to credential assistant principals, principals and district leaders through a unique curriculum based on inquiry and team collaboration.
- Manage New Visions’ TALENT Initiative (Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Teams), which provides support to newly appointed principals and their staffs through a structured and facilitated two-year coaching process.
- Participate in the strategic planning of new program initiatives and assist the Development Department in the writing of grant proposals and reports related to talent development initiatives.
- Facilitate integration of talent development programs into the work of other departments (Charter schools, PSO, Research and Organizational Learning, etc.)
- Manage and coordinate the work of ten or more exceptional professionals, including direct reports and other staff involved in close collaboration on talent development projects. Set staff goals and evaluate progress on a regular basis.
- Ensure Directors are achieving excellence and maximizing their individual potential as leaders and managers to their respective teams with explicit professional development priorities.
- Cultivate relationships with NYC Department of Education and with partner organizations such as Hunter College, New York Hall of Science and 100Kin10; build trust and good-will towards New Visions through strategic relationship building within the national education community and within New York City’s community, as well as political and civic organizations.
- Publish, with assistance from the Communications Department, reports, blogs and articles showcasing New Visions’ programs.
- Interact and manage relationships with the President; senior management team; board of directors; Hunter College faculty and administrators; personnel from the Department of Education; partner organizations; donors; school staff; New Visions staff.
- Minimum of eight to ten years of professional experience, including senior management and/or leadership experience in the areas of curriculum, teaching and education leadership.
- Superb interpersonal skills and capacity to work well with people at all levels within the organization and at key external agencies and organizations; ability to lead by example and create a positive work environment for direct reports.
- Knowledge and understanding of education and education reform efforts and policies, especially at the high school level.
- Strong team orientation, ability to provide and accept feedback and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Proactive, strategic thinker with a demonstrated experience providing management level staff with direct coaching, guidance, and professional development opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to set and to manage priorities and multiple tasks. Outcomes and deadlines oriented. Excellent attention to detail. Organized and process-oriented
- Experience and comfort analyzing student data
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, database and internet applications; familiarity with Google tools preferred
- Advanced degree required
- A strong commitment to the New Visions’ mission and values
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment; comfortable with ambiguity and shifts in scope of duties
- Collaborative team player with a “can do” attitude; willing to roll up sleeves and do whatever it takes to support team priorities
- Independent, self-starter who takes the initiative to identify and assist in resolving problems both within and beyond areas of direct responsibility
- Proactive, hands-on strategic thinker responsible for day-to-day operations and compliance
- Keen analytical, organizational and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management and outside partners
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
New Visions for Public Schools has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Jackie Hanselmann Sergi at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/831
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About New Visions for Public Schools:
Since it first opened its doors in 1989, New Visions for Public Schools has been dedicated to ensuring that all New York City public school students, regardless of race or economic class, have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for the rigors of college and the workforce. Further, New Visions is committed to sharing innovative tools, strategies and lessons learned in New Visions schools with others in New York and throughout the country to prove that meaningful change is achievable at scale and success is possible for every child.
Throughout their history, New Visions has worked intensively with a core group of schools while fashioning strategies to improve student achievement across the board. Today, with 80 district schools and six charter high schools serving nearly 50,000 students, New Visions supports a network similar in size to some of the nation’s largest school districts. New Visions is committed to proving what no urban district has yet to realize: that large numbers of urban students can graduate on time and be successful in college and in the workplace.
These core values define our work as an organization and with their schools:
- Focus on instruction: Everything — from curriculum to scheduling to facilities — is about supporting teaching and learning.
- Data drive decisions: Data define their strategies and allow them to personalize and customize supports to schools and students.
- Practice must be public: They learn, grow and improve by making their practices transparent and collaborating with others.
- Continual improvement: Their work embodies a continuous process for improvement — analyzing data, developing and implementing actions, assessing impact, and refining strategies to re-imagine the systems that foster innovation and transformative change.
- Stakeholder engagement: Multiple stakeholders who bring assets and expertise to solving challenges must be mobilized to ensure widespread support and ownership of student success.
New Visions for Public Schools has worked with every district in New York City in nearly 800 schools with hundreds of thousands of students, parents, teachers and community members. For more than 20 years, New Visions has improved the educational opportunities of students through multiple strategies that include creating new schools, working communities, developing innovative solution, and taking reforms to scale. To learn more visit http://www.newvisions.org/
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.