Founded in 2010, Better Markets is a well-funded independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that fights for the economic security, opportunity, and prosperity of the American people. We promote the public interest in the economy and financial markets broadly while focusing on financial reform in all the legal and policy-making processes in Washington, DC and beyond. Our goal is for finance to support the real economy, jobs and growth and to produce rising standards of living for all Americans. We accomplish this by fighting for a safer, sounder financial system, less prone to crisis and failure and, thereby, eliminating or minimizing the risk of or need for taxpayer and government bailouts.
In working to have finance constructively support the economy and serve society, our team (fifteen staff members in DC, two in Brussels, and one in London) engages in five primary activities: public advocacy, rulemaking, litigation, legislative relations, and independent research. We are strong believers in markets and market discipline and believe that the private sector is key to ensuring that financial reform is not only sensibly enacted, but also durable over the business cycle.
Over the past five years, Better Markets has had a significant impact on financial reform and we are now poised for even greater growth and impact. To help us achieve that goal, Better Markets is seeking an entrepreneurial and experienced development professional to lead our efforts to identify, engage, and partner with financial supporters of our work. Reporting directly to the President and CEO, and serving as a member of the senior management team, the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships and Development will lead and direct a comprehensive fundraising program to secure financial resources to achieve Better Markets’ ambitious goals and will be responsible for executing on that strategy. With an emphasis on major gifts and family foundations, the ideal candidate will bring exceptional relationship skills and an excitement for the opportunity to apply them in a unique organization looking to make a significant impact on the future of the country.
For more information on Better Markets, please visit www.bettermarkets.com.
Primary responsibilities for the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Development role include but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute ambitious but achievable annual and long-term plans for fundraising across the organization
- Direct all fundraising activities, including identifying opportunities and prospecting, implementing targeted strategies for each opportunity, and soliciting and stewarding donors
- Work in close collaboration with the President and CEO and Better Markets’ Board of Directors on fundraising initiatives
- In partnership with the Communications Director, supervise the design and implementation of all donor communications and materials
- Prepare and monitor Better Markets’ annual fundraising plan, budget, and revenue forecasts
- Provide accurate projections for budgetary and financial reports, and monitor and report on performance against plan and budget
- Represent Better Markets at meetings and speaking engagements, as required
- Provide leadership, direction, and management for Better Markets’ fundraising work among all staff
The Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Development must be an experienced fundraising professional with a successful track record and demonstrated experience developing and implementing creative strategies for increasing funding and support for mission-driven organizations.
- Proven track record of establishing and stewarding relationships with prospective and current funders with a particular emphasis on major gifts donors and family foundations
- A desire to play a key role in contributing to the growth of an ambitious and driven organization; a comfort level with a fast pace
- Ability to jumpstart a major donor fundraising program by developing an ambitious, but achievable strategy and delivering on goals and benchmarks
- Proven ability to convey complex programs and goals to donors in a concise and compelling manner
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with Better Markets senior management team, board of directors, donors, and staff as well as external partners
- Passion for the mission of Better Markets and the ability to successfully advocate for the organization with a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated capacity to work successfully with colleagues at all levels of the organization to achieve common goals
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail and aspirations for excellence
- Open-minded with unimpeachable ethical standards, confidentiality, and personal integrity
- 7+ years of senior development experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required, advanced degree preferred
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Better Markets has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To apply, please submit a compelling letter of interest and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Better Markets is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Better Markets considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.