Community FoodBank of New Jersey (CFBNJ) was started over 40 years ago out of the back of our founder’s station wagon in downtown Newark, NJ. Today, we are the largest anti-hunger and anti-poverty organization in New Jersey with facilities in Hillside and Egg Harbor Township. We fight hunger and poverty in New Jersey by assisting those in need and seeking long-term solutions by engaging, educating, and empowering all sectors of society in the battle.
Our nearly 200 employees fight hunger every day. From sourcing food for distribution to packaging orders for local food pantries and soup kitchens, we make a direct impact on the families who need us most. We help people in need through SNAP (food stamps) application assistance and we reach communities with limited resources through our mobile pantries. Through our many partnerships and our community of donors, we work actively to encourage others to get involved in the fight against hunger.
CFBNJ also provides a culinary and life skills programs – the free, 16-week program provides students with a foundation for a better life by providing marketable job skills that can lead to a living wage. Participants learn about communication, nutrition and healthy cooking as they train in a state-of-the-art, fully-equipped commercial kitchen and simultaneously prepare healthy meals for thousands of food insecure children at our Kids Cafes and Summer Nutrition sites. Since the program started in 2000 more than one thousand students have graduated with an average job-placement rate exceeding 90 percent.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Vice President of Social Enterprise/Culinary Center (VPSE) will be responsible for identifying new and innovative ways for the FoodBank to increase both impact and revenue including the future development of catering and restaurant businesses. In addition, s/he will oversee all aspects of CFBNJ’s culinary work including, ongoing development and innovation of our culinary strategies and offerings, processes and cost improvement initiatives, setting culinary quality priorities, inventory management, sales and operational optimization and all other culinary related activities. This key leadership role works closely with senior management, executive chefs and our suppliers to ensure excellent operations and execution of CFBNJs culinary strategy and to ensure that mission drives all of our initiatives.
This is a full-time position located in Hillside, New Jersey. For more information on The Community FoodBank of New Jersey, please visit http://www.cfbnj.org/.
The VPSE will possess the following attributes and competencies:
- Ensure maximization and operational excellence of our culinary center’s revenues and profitability for all outlets
- Develop, implement, and maintain the strategic vision of the overall culinary center, and move the vision forward to innovation & profitability
- Imagine, design and execute new business opportunities for the FoodBank including the creation and opening of catering and restaurant businesses to increase impact and drive revenue
- Develop and implement training programs across the organization for all culinary staff to ensure proper skills and execution
- Define and refine program concepts, coordinating with leadership teams to ensure the consistency of each area of business: social service/job training, catering, and innovative ventures
- Develop, in concert with executive chef, the change management strategy for expansion
- Build the team using best practices and efficiencies to ensure success and goal alignment
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures across the organization
- Work closely with Finance to analyze trends and develop strategies to increase revenue, reduce costs and ensure competitive advantage in local markets
- Lead a team to create benchmarks, create insights based on analytic techniques to remediate issues and improve financial and operational performance
- Provide tools, support and analytics as it pertains to monitoring labor and controlling operating expenses
- Control costs by meeting with sales representatives; negotiating prices and contracts; developing preferred supplier lists; reviewing and evaluating usage reports; analyzing variances; taking corrective actions to achieve results
- Maintain the highest levels of food preparation and sanitation by establishing and enforcing standards and procedures
- Maintain the highest level of service standards to our guests, children, and customers by providing expectations and enforcing standards
- Network externally with new and innovative supporters and partners
- Champion adoption of new ideas with both internal and external stakeholders
- Seek external funding in concert with development & investors
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Leadership experience in developing and mentoring an effective and efficient food and beverage team with a strong focus on the customer experience and operational excellence
- Experience with multiple property and multiple unit food and beverage outlets
- Experience driving growth and/or the development of new business opportunities for an organization
- Ability to lead and motivate a team and inspire them to achieve new and expanded goals
- Exceptional communication, organizational and project management skills, with strong ability to collaborate across the organization and with external stakeholders
- Experience working with local, regional, and national vendors
- Strong operational expertise with financial and analytical capabilities
- Proven leader with a high level of energy and motivation; proven track record of executing and expanding successful concepts/ideas
- Creative and innovative thinker who can bring ideas to action quickly
- Ability to work a flexible schedule depending on needs of the position
- Culinary background and experience a plus
- Nonprofit experience in the food bank sector a plus
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience in a leadership position food service/restaurant management or hospitality industry with senior roles
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable education and relevant experience required
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Community FoodBank of New Jersey has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
The Community FoodBank of New Jersey is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.