Global Citizen Year is an award-winning, social enterprise forging a new educational pathway for America’s emerging leaders. Each year we select a talented and diverse corps of high school graduates as “Fellows” and support them through a transformational bridge year before college. Through world-class training, mentorship and deep immersion in a community across Africa, Latin America or Asia, we equip Fellows with global skills, empathy, and grit — the foundations for success in college, careers, and life. We envision a world where this bridge year becomes a common expectation and opportunity — transforming education and unleashing the potential of a new generation of global citizens.
Since our founding in 2010, we’ve grown our program and operations tenfold and built significant momentum – raising over $10M in seed capital from leading philanthropic investors from Harvard Business School to the Ford Foundation, and receiving attention in prominent national forums from The New York Times to NPR and the Clinton Global Initiative. We have built a talented global team, advisory council and board of directors, and a growing roster of prominent funders and partners.
With nearly 450 program alumni now thriving in college and careers, we’re beginning to see early evidence of our impact. Over 90% of our alumni are on track to graduate in four years or less and 95% say their Global Citizen Year was the best preparation they could have had for college. As a testament to the power of the experience, 97% of our alumni have recommended Global Citizen Year to others. Among other travel providers we are distinguished as the only program exclusively focused on leadership, deep immersion and access during the bridge year before college (80% of our Fellows receive need based financial aid vs. the 12% industry average).
And while our numbers are still small, there are growing signs that we’re on to something big. Today, we’re at an inflection point in our growth. We’ve completed a “demonstration phase” and are embarking on an ambitious growth plan to translate our small-scale pilot into a full-fledged movement to transform our educational landscape, and countless lives along the way.
The Vice President of Programs (VPP) is the heart and soul of Global Citizen Year. Our program is our product, and the VPP will be the organization’s leader in translating our values and vision into a life-changing experience for our diverse and talented Fellows. You will lead the biggest team at the organization and own every stage of the program experience for our Fellows, families and partners. You will focus on strengthening our core program, while exploring ways to dramatically increase our impact and influence through geographic expansion, partnerships (ie. high schools, colleges, companies), technology and our growing alumni network.
This is a full-time position located in Oakland, CA. To learn more about the Global Citizen Year’s history, program and plans for the future, please visit www.globalcitizenyear.org.
Ensuring program quality and consistency is your bottom line; scaling a movement is your north star.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and playing an integral role as a member of the Senior Leadership Team the VPP will:
Set program vision and strategy
- Work in conjunction with Senior Leadership Team to determine organizational strategy;
- Set team vision and lead annual program strategy, including:
- Building partnerships in-country with leading international NGOs
- Determining US and international staffing structures
- Setting and leading risk management strategy and direction
- Spearhead all program innovation including new uses of technology, new partnerships, etc.;
- Lead and directly manage a team of US- and internationally-based Directors;
- Stay abreast of trends in higher education and keep your finger on the pulse of the evolving educational landscape.
Lead geographic expansion
- Lead and direct expansion strategies within current countries, including partnerships, hiring and training;
- Lead the new country identification process and site development start-up efforts; help build strategic partnerships in new geographies.
Oversee budgets and financial strategy
- Develop and lead financial strategy for the program team;
- Represent program in quarterly reports and Board of Directors meetings.
Provide organizational and thought leadership
- Represent the program within the Senior Leadership Team around strategic organizational decisions;
- Serve as a passionate advocate for Global Citizen Year’s mission and vision at high-level events, forums, and conferences and with the media.
You live to inspire. You naturally find yourself drawn to people and can talk to anyone. You don’t even think about how it’s done, it just happens. You communicate with comfort and ease with people who are young and old, from anywhere in the world, and who think similarly and differently from you. Get you in front of a group and whatever mission lie ahead, everyone can’t wait to join your team.
You are a systems thinker. You know that innovation requires building strong systems. You’re diligent about systematic approaches because you know that people should do the thinking and systems should do the doing. You are obsessive about strengthening processes to improve quality, consistency and efficiency.
You think two moves ahead and get s*%it done. You are able to see the forest through the trees to ensure your path serves your end goal. You know that the decisions you make now have short and long term implications. You think in terms of scale. The most important balls never drop and you always get it done.
To Join Our Leadership Team
- You believe that the current educational conveyor belt is short-changing today’s students, and you know there’s a better way.
- You are inspired by the energy, ambitions and capabilities of young people.
- You embody our core values. You see challenges as opportunities and approach situations with curiosity before judgment.
- You are motivated by the challenge of transforming our leadership pipeline to better reflect our country’s diversity.
- You’re obsessed with quality and know that hard decisions and trade-offs come as part of the work. You always go above and beyond, and never fail to hustle to make it happen.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience. Relevant is what you make of it – it’s on you to demonstrate it;
- Demonstrated success scaling programs while maintaining a keen focus on quality;
- Top-notch cross cultural communication skills with the ability to inspire both internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated leadership success; people love to work with you;
- Experience living/working internationally;
- Success managing geographically disbursed teams;
- Experience with and commitment to data driven decision-making;
- Fluency in one or more of the following languages a plus: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hindi, Mandarin;
- Relevant risk management expertise and experience a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; graduate degree a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
We have huge aspirations, and we know that our success relies entirely on building an exceptional team. We aim to find the best talent in the field—and to keep it. Beyond providing competitive compensation, we offer:
Well-being. We offer medical, dental and vision and most employees don’t pay a dime.
Retirement plan. We offer a 401k match, what other non-profit does that?
Flexible vacation. We don’t track it, and we expect you to take it when and how you need it.
Keep learning. We pay for professional development and personal learning—guitar lessons anyone?
Travel. After 2 years, pick a Global Citizen Year country and your trip is on us.
Sabbatical. After 3 years, take a month off to do what makes you happy—your paycheck will keep coming.
Global Citizen Year has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer and they strive for their staff to reflect the diverse community they serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.