Boston, MA | August 24, 2021
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging over 25 years of experience serving over 133,000 children with the support of more than 58,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America.
For more information on Jumpstart, please visit www.jstart.org.
Jumpstart is fueled by a core belief that providing equal educational opportunities for every child will contribute to breaking the cycle of poverty and we envision a day when every child in America will enter Kindergarten prepared to succeed. This belief is rooted in educational equity and this vision in our commitment to systems change work. In order to succeed, we must address systemic injustices and confront systemic barriers to create a more just, inclusive, and equitable world. This external commitment must also be reflected internally as we move to mirror the world we envision through a diverse, inclusive organization that nurtures unique perspectives, facilitates authentic dialogues, and honors the identities of our staff.
In support of this commitment, we are seeking an experienced Vice President of People and Culture (VP) to help ensure that Jumpstart employees are best in class, supported in their professional journeys, valued for their lived experience, and prepared to help the organization achieve ambitious goals. The VP will play a collaborative role in the diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work of Jumpstart on an organizational and interpersonal level, upholding and embedding these practices into the day-to-day experience from applicants to employees to alumni. The VP will manage a comprehensive range of Human Resource (HR) and Talent Management (TM) services that speak to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment, fostering professional development and learning, and bolstering a culture that lives into its values. Some of the responsibilities of the VP will include facilitating the DEI strategy; integrating antiracist policies across the organization; strengthening a sense of belonging and community; managing the human resources team; accelerating the development of innovation capabilities across the organization; and supporting the recruitment, retention, and development of high performing talent.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Managing, coaching, and developing a high functioning team dedicated to Jumpstart’s TM and HR functions
- Improving the recruitment, development, and retention of a high-performing diverse and inclusive workforce
- Helping to drive the organization’s DEI strategy, measuring progress against defined objectives
- Integrating and embedding DEI into TM processes, tools, and strategy
- Implementing compelling strategic initiatives that positions Jumpstart as an employer of choice
- Enhancing and supporting the evolution and improvement of organizational culture, practices, and norms from the application process to succession planning
- Supporting the establishment of processes and procedures governing the organization’s HR and TM systems
- Contributing to Jumpstart’s Leadership Team, bringing a voice, experience and passion for DEI and organizational culture
This position will report to the Chief People Officer.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
- Experienced professional with relevant experience: SHRM-CP or SPHR certification required and at least seven years of professional experience in human resources, talent management, and/or successful implementation of DEI initiatives
- Strategic agility: able to maintain focus on long-term strategy while successfully adapting to changing environments and conditions
- Innovative thinker: can challenge the organization to be curious, question the status quo, and adopt new approaches
- Inspiring and influencing: connects with people in ways that generates enthusiasm and commitment
- Communication: encourages direct and open discussion, and capable of modeling such a style
- Trustworthiness: able to quickly gain the trust and respect of all team members as someone who has the best interests of the staff and the organization at heart
- Managing change: understands the impact of change and is adept at communicating how and why decisions are made and how they will help the organization reach its goals
- Competency in Microsoft software: especially Outlook, Excel, Word, and Power Point
Compensation & Benefits
$160,000 – $170,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities. Please visit our website at www.jstart.org.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.