About Educators 4 Excellence
For far too long, education policy has been created without a critical voice at the table: the voice of classroom teachers. Educators 4 Excellence (E4E), a teacher-led organization, is changing this dynamic by placing the voices of teachers at the forefront of the conversations that shape our classrooms and careers.
E4E envisions a high-quality, prestigious teaching profession that is responsible for driving positive student outcomes. E4E provides teachers with opportunities to:
- Learn about the latest education policy news and research;
- Network with like-minded colleagues and policymakers through panel discussions, speaker series, and networking events; and
- Take action by advocating for teacher-created policy recommendations through E4E’s teacher leadership training programs.
History and Impact
Founded in spring 2010 by two Bronx elementary school teachers, E4E has quickly grown into a national network of over 20,000 progressive teachers, united by the E4E Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs. The work of E4E and E4E teachers has resulted in modifications to legislation on issues such as teacher evaluation and increased student funding, the publication of nationally significant teacher-created policy papers, and national and local media attention highlighting progressive teacher voices.
Growth and Culture
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, Educators 4 Excellence is expanding its reach and impact as it seeks to provide a platform for teachers across the country to elevate their voices. Grounded in the experience of educators, E4E’s organizational culture revolves around an innovative, entrepreneurial, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous improvement.
For more information, please visit www.educators4excellence.org.
The Position of Vice President of Growth Strategy and Development presents an exciting opportunity for a seasoned professional and leader to shape E4E’s growth strategy and development functions, affirm and celebrate E4E’s mission, support its ongoing successes, and ensure the organization’s sustainability as a leading vehicle for teachers’ voices during a rapid period of growth. Just as E4E is building a movement of teachers leading change, we are building deep partnerships with a community of donors and partners that support teacher leadership with a variety of resources.
Educators 4 Excellence is implementing an ambitious three-year growth plan. Currently operating with an annual budget of $15M, the organization anticipates continued budget and new site expansion over the next few years. Reporting to the Co-Founder and Co-Chief Executive Officer, and serving as an E4E National Team member and a Senior Leadership Team member, the Vice President of Growth Strategy and Development will play a critical role in establishing an overarching organizational growth strategy, funding priorities, and systems that support E4E’s programmatic goals and objectives, in addition to raising essential support that will sustain the organization’s efforts over the long-term.
Building upon the strengths of existing advancement endeavors and aggressively pursuing new opportunities for site expansion, funding, and engagement, the Vice President’s efforts will include leading, managing, and developing a highly capable fundraising staff responsible for building relationships and soliciting funds nationwide from a wide range of fundraising channels. S/he will also be charged with assisting chapter Executive Directors and their local development teams to fundraise and strategically seize opportunities to achieve sustainable growth at the local level, as well as support fundraising of new site expansion launch funds as needed.
The Vice President will thrive in a cross-functional, collaborative, goal-oriented environment. S/he will build a positive team culture focused on professional development, individual opportunity, and growth.
The Vice President of Growth Strategy and Development will be responsible for the following:
- In partnership with local and national site expansion and development leaders, create a thorough and comprehensive, multi-year growth and fundraising strategy aligned with broader organizational goals that reflects E4E’s philanthropic potential, generates short-term success, and deepens and diversifies national and local funding and partnership bases; Carefully monitor fundraising costs and oversee appropriate use of internal resources
- Play a critical leadership role in E4E’s organization-wide Strategic Plan Refresh process
- Serve as a senior organizational leader in a climate that promotes respect for others and acceptance of alternative ideas and approaches, as well as the highest ethical standards and practices; Embrace diversity as a strategic advantage
Team Management and Support
- Develop, lead, manage, and coach a high-quality new site expansion and fundraising team that will grow to five to 10 national staff members; provide strategic vision for all aspects of E4E’s fundraising and site expansion activities in concert with other leaders through a matrix model; support chapter Executive Directors and their local development teams to fundraise toward ambitious and achievable local goals and strategically seize opportunities that create sustainable growth at the local level
- Maintain a leadership style that is fluid and open; Empower staff through active communication, feedback, and delegation; Promote intra- and interdepartmental teamwork and collaboration
New Site Expansion and Growth Strategy
- Oversee new site operations, leveraging organizational resources to create thoughtful and strategic plans for site expansion in alignment with E4E’s strategic plan
- Monitor and manage the execution of dynamic, highly-detailed new site expansion plans with multiple constituents, tracking progress toward outcomes and engaging key internal and external stakeholders to grow E4Es impact
Development Program Oversight
- Oversee fundraising operations for the organization and maximize the success of E4E’s strategic work plan and fundraising functions, including major giving, planned giving, grant acquisition, donor recognition, and stewardship. This will require working closely with Executive Directors, local and national development teams, the Co-CEOs, and the Board of Directors
- Improve, modify, and oversee all development processes, systems, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely gift reporting and acknowledgement, integration with finance and program, and improved database utilization; Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary
- Elevate the importance of stewarding all gifts and donor relationships in ways that strengthen meaningful partnerships; collaborate across teams to create an environment that nurtures and integrates a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization
The Vice President of Growth Strategy and Development will be a proactive and effective strategist and fundraiser as well as a positive, energetic, and creative team player and leader. S/he will be well versed in strategic analysis and development best practices and committed to the overall mission of E4E and building a culture of philanthropy and partnership. The ideal candidate will have at least eight years of development and/or strategic leadership experience with a proven track record, including driving major fundraising functions and/or strategy work for an organization; building a strong internal infrastructure; experience managing a team to achieve strong results; and an ability to effectively lead during times of change and growth.
The ideal candidate will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
A Passion for the Mission
The Vice President will have a deep commitment to E4E’s mission and passion for elevating the teaching profession in order to improve outcomes and opportunities for students. S/he will bring a political savvy and nuanced understanding of the education space to compellingly share E4E’s work and impact with a diverse base of donors and potential partners. S/he will embrace E4E’s collaborative culture and will have the character and dexterity to lead the growth of the development and new sites functions, working closely alongside the Senior Leadership Team, Co-CEOs, and Board of Directors. The Vice President will be an empathic leader, treating others with respect. S/he will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics, and values, and someone who can be trusted without reservation.
Strategic Leadership and Management
The Vice President will be a natural change agent and intuitive strategist with a demonstrated ability to develop clear, innovative plans and tactics for fundraising and growth strategy. S/he will be a motivated and results-oriented leader, driven to meet ambitious benchmarks and focused on outcomes. With a growth mindset, s/he will be able to analyze and adjust expectations, processes, and approach when necessary. S/he will be a superior project manager, able to make practical, realistic, and data-driven decisions in a timely, thoughtful way, effectively leveraging her/his resources when appropriate. S/he will have the proven ability to strengthen and continue to expand a culture of philanthropy across the organization, ensuring all stakeholders value fundraising as a key driver for organizational success. This leader will be a visible manager and organizational leader who will build, nurture, and retain a strong team of professionals focused on excellence, accountability, and efficiency.
An Expert in Growth Strategy
The Vice President will be an experienced leader in the field of development and/or growth strategy with a measurable track record of success. This leader will have a strong analysis orientation and a proven ability to use data to drive fundraising and partnership decisions and planning. With a collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial mindset, the Vice President will partner with senior leaders across the organization in identifying fundraising and new sites strategies, developing a process to achieve success, and strategically executing on the plan.
A Relationship Builder and Collaborator
S/he will be a natural relationship builder with an ability to work in partnership with a diverse leadership team, staff members, donors, and community members. S/he will be able to set a bold vision while also maintaining a keen attention to detail and execution. The Vice President will be a dynamic, high-energy leader who welcomes feedback and is comfortable managing both up and down. S/he will build a network of external partners and deeply understand the motivations and perspectives of others in order to motivate and inspire others to action, while remaining approachable and humble.
The Vice President will be a superior written and verbal communicator who pays careful attention to detail and clarity. S/he will adapt her/his choice of language and the presentation of ideas to fit the needs of different audiences in a manner that energizes and inspires. The Vice President will listen intently and respond effectively to inquiries or challenges on a range of subjects. S/he will deeply understand the nuances of stewardship to support the creation and delivery of compelling and meaningful communications, such as proposals, reports, and updates, and make effective and persuasive presentations on topics of importance to Board members, donors, prospective donors, staff members, external partners, and stakeholders with complete transparency and accuracy.
Other desired characteristics include:
- Empathy for, understanding of, and respect for the teaching profession; previous experience in the education sector is a plus
- The intellectual depth, maturity, and collaborative skills to work effectively with E4E’s Co-CEOs, Board members, staff, and external constituents
- A strong work ethic, with a reputation for integrity and high ethical standards; a professional who exercises discretion; an outgoing and positive personality; a sense of humor and perspective
- Demonstrated record as both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organizational and time management skills; a demonstrated ability to design a work plan, prioritize, and meet goals; grace under pressure; an innovative spirit
- Commitment to building a base of mission-aligned partners who are excited to bring their diverse resources (ideas, networks, time, skills, and experience, in addition to financial resources) to bear in order to achieve our mission
- Open-minded, nimble, and creative professional who can remain cognizant and respectful of E4E’s teacher-led roots while encouraging growth and change
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including weekday evenings and some weekends
- Knowledge of and experience with Salesforce preferred, but not required
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
- New York-based candidates highly preferred; exceptional candidates located in E4E chapter cities will also be considered
Educators 4 Excellence has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire, which is being led by Eboni S. Gates. To express your interest in this role, please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. Educators 4 Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.