Jumpstart is a national early education organization that recruits and trains college students and community volunteers to work with preschool children in low-income neighborhoods. Through a research-based curriculum, Jumpstart children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late. Working in fourteen states and the District of Columbia, Jumpstart has served over 95,000 children with the support of more than 45,000 college students and community volunteers. Join us to work toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed.
For more information on Jumpstart, please visit www.jstart.org.
The Vice President of Development Opportunity:
The Vice President of Development is a results-driven, entrepreneurial leader who will deepen Jumpstart’s impact and broaden Jumpstart’s scope of work across the country by driving success in fundraising, staff management, and team effectiveness. S/he will leverage new and existing partnerships within funding communities to achieve ambitious organizational fundraising goals while helping to build an internal system that supports continued growth.
The Vice President of Development will report to and work closely with the Chief Development Officer as a key thought partner in assessing current and future fundraising opportunities and strategies that support organizational growth and financial health. S/he will be an integral member of Jumpstart’s Vice President Team and Leadership Team, developing organizational strategy, policy, and growth plans. This position manages a national network of four Directors of Development and is part of a sixteen-person national fundraising team.
The primary responsibilities of the Vice President of Development include, but are not limited to:
- Manage, coach, and support a cohesive network of high functioning Directors of Development to meet or exceed the organization’s annual revenue goal
- Work with Directors of Development to leverage and drive fundraising strategy, opportunity, and success of local advisory boards in multiple geographies across the country
- Collaborate with members of Leadership Team to inform and shape fundraising strategies and opportunities
- Work closely with Directors of Developments and Advisory Boards to ensure Scribbles to Novels fundraising dinners meet or exceed established revenue goals and are well planned and executed
- Ensure network-wide consistency of best practices surrounding development operations, including data management via Salesforce, gift processing, fundraising policy/procedures, and event management
- Manage and grow a portfolio of major donor relationships across constituencies, including individual, foundation, and corporate sources
- Work across the network to grow major gifts programs, including organizational-wide strategies for moving current donors from annual to major donors
- Participate with CDO, CEO, and National Board of Directors and Local Advisory Boards in overall strategy, plan, and execution of multi-year fundraising campaigns, as appropriate
- Foster a strong organizational culture in the workplace aligned with Jumpstart’s core values
- Collaborate on management of relationship with the Corporation for National and Community Service and state commissions, as appropriate
The Vice President of Development possesses the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s Degree is preferred
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience in development and fundraising and/or project management in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Significant experience in moves management, ranging from donor identification through solicitation with a proven track record of achieving revenue targets including closing gifts of six figures of greater
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with a proven ability to motivate staff to reach ambitious goals in a high-growth environment
- Ability to navigate geographically diverse philanthropic markets
- Strong relationship-building skills with an ability to leverage own networks to broaden Jumpstart’s base of support
- Strong communication, including written, public speaking and presentation skills
- Outstanding organization skills and high attention to detail; demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadline driven priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel, as needed, to meet with donors, boards, prospects, and others who are positioned to help advance the organization
- Understanding of AmeriCorps and National Service Programs is a plus
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Jumpstart has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.