Step Up is a national nonprofit membership organization whose mission is to propel girls from under-resourced communities to fulfill their potential by empowering them to become confident, college-bound, career-focused, and ready to join the next generation of professional women.
Step Up leverages our professional women members who give back as donors, mentors and
volunteers to make our local communities and the Step Up programs a success. We believe all girls should have the opportunity to fulfill their potential and do so by inspiring women to inspire girls through programs that engage and connect.
The VP, Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions for Step Up. In partnership with the CEO, this position is responsible for the strategy and execution of all fundraising and development activities.
The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to increase Step Up’s visibility, impact and financial resources. The VP, Development will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. The VP, Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the strategy & infrastructure needed to grow Step Up’s $3 million budget to $10 million by 2020 through the solicitation of major gifts, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
The VP, Development will report directly to the CEO and will have a dotted line reporting relationship with local Directors to help achieve goals in LA, Chicago, NYC, Dallas and additional cities as they are added.
This is a full-time position located in New York City, NY. For more information on Step Up, please visit www.suwn.org.
Step Up is looking for an experienced and entrepreneurial VP, Development who will achieve the following outcomes over the next two years:
- Actively work with the CEO and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy in support of Step Up’s Strategic Plan – to include efforts around corporate and foundation funding, individual giving and special events
- Staff up the Development Team nationally by hiring on & managing regional Development Directors
- Secure 6-figure year-over-year investment funding to launch Step Up into 2 new cities, one in 2017 and one in 2018
- Contribute thought leadership to the creation of the organization’s next Strategic Plan (2020+)
- Be personally responsible for raising more than $1 million annually towards national office goals
The VP, Development will have a demonstrated passion for the mission of Step Up and be committed to the organization’s values which are as follows: Take Pride in Involvement. Be Inspired by and for Each Other. Take the Long View. Celebrate Success. Innovate. Take Action. Trust Teamwork. Amplify our Message.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Define, develop and prioritize Step Up’s short-term and long-term development goals in support of the Strategic Plan while ensuring that efforts carried out are keeping with the organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Work closely with the senior leadership of each Step Up city to establish a vision and fundraising plan for each city.
- Advise the CEO and other key members of senior management on best practices and significant developments and trends in philanthropy and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Serve as the fundraising liaison to the national board, effectively communicate and present strategic development efforts at select board of directors and committee meetings.
- Ensure Step Up has an effective system for tracking and reporting on fundraising efforts nationally.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the Development staff (regional development directors, membership managers and events managers).
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Lead, mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Bridge national and regional development operations, ensuring accomplishment of annual goals
- Ensure consistent & appropriate stewardship and acknowledgement of donors nationally.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit a personal portfolio of current and new funding sources and opportunities for individual, foundation and corporate donors and prospects with an emphasis on personally raising a minimum of more than $3 million in 3 years through five to six-figure gifts.
- Passion for the mission of Step Up and their stated values: Take Pride in Involvement. Be Inspired by and for Each Other. Take the Long View. Celebrate Success. Innovate. Take Action. Trust Teamwork. Amplify our Message.
- Proven track record of successful fundraising, especially at $250K level and above
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a Development role with increasing responsibility and success
- Experience managing a national fundraising effort with dotted line reporting to multiple regions
- Experience working with global brand partnerships
- Proven track record of winning grants from national and regional foundations
- Proven track record of winning individual donor gifts of $100K and up
- Experience having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Interest in and ability to contribute to an environment of inclusion and belonging through experience, knowledge, and skills
- Strong mentoring and coaching experience for a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player with the ability to multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Step Up’s board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Committed to improving the life experiences and outcomes for all women and teen girls
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full-time salaried position with medical, dental and vision insurance benefits. Step Up also offers a 401k. Salary commensurate with experience. All full-time employees qualify for paid time off including vacation, sick and all national holidays.
Step Up has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Step Up is not just an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building local and national teams that represent the communities we serve and to consistently improving our ability to create inclusive and equitable spaces for our teens, our members and our staff.
About Client Organization:
For more information on Step Up, please visit www.suwn.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.