Washington, DC | October 27, 2020
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels. For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our country stronger.
For more information on UnidosUS, please visit www.UnidosUS.org.
The Associate Director of the Economic Policy Project (Associate Director) is responsible for working in consultation with senior leadership in the Policy and Advocacy component to set overall strategic goals and objectives for UnidosUS economic policy analysis activities.
The Associate Director will be responsible for ensuring the production of highly-skilled, timely, and relevant policy documents/materials in support of UnidosUS’s goals. This individual will work to build substantive depth in a range of economic policy issues; analyzing new and emerging economic policy issues that affect the Latino community and develop policy recommendations and solutions. In addition, the Associate Director will coordinate, develop, and participate in public policy forums, summits, briefings, and other events where relevant economic policy matters are discussed. This will include serving as a spokesperson on Latino policy priorities and representing UnidosUS priorities in internal and external meetings and before congressional staff, policymakers/experts, and issue stakeholders. This is a supervisory position and s/he will be expected to provide support to Policy and Advocacy staff.
In addition the Associate Director will contribute to the following essential functions:
- Work with senior leadership team to set overall goals and priorities for the Economic Policy Project.
- Conduct and publish independent policy analysis on relevant economic policy issues.
- Provide support and guidance on economic policy documents, including issue briefs, policy memoranda, regulatory comments, public testimony, and journal articles developed by the economic policy team.
- Supervise and provide support for staff conducting policy analysis work.
- Serve as a spokesperson on Latino economic policy priorities, representing UnidosUS priorities in internal and external meetings, and before congressional staff, policymakers/experts, and issue stakeholders.
- Participate in external economic policy advisory groups, boards, or committees as appropriate.
- Work with media as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Master’s degree required and eight to ten years of relevant experience.
- Must demonstrate strong written, analytical, editorial, and oral communication skills.
- Must demonstrate understanding of economic issues facing Latino and immigrant communities.
- Must have experience developing economic policy solutions.
- Must be able to demonstrate prior experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as congressional hearings, major conferences, or written materials such as reports or issue briefs.
- Must have experience supervising staff.
- Must have ability to work as part of a team as well as execute collaborative projects independently, and the ability to take initiative, work effectively under tight deadlines, and coordinate multiple projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), Outlook, statistical software, data sources, and internet queries required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan, Founding Partner and Turner Delano, Vice President are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link here. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Employment with UnidosUS will be contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
UnidosUS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.