Remote, USA | October 6, 2021
About The Trevor Project
Founded in 1998, The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 22 years.
For more information on the Trevor Project please visit thetrevorproject.org
The Director of Major Gifts position is a newly created position that will oversee the major ($25,000+) and planned giving programs. This position will build the structure to grow the major gifts pipeline, formalize planned giving for the first time, and coach the team through this transition. The Director will manage a team of 4 staff, including 3 direct reports. They will manage a portfolio of prospects with high gift capacity and ensure that major and planned giving donors have a meaningful and delightful philanthropic experience. As the organization is poised to kick off a major campaign to fund the strategic growth plan, the Director of Major Gifts will play a significant role in campaign strategy, pipeline development, and solicitation.
Who You Are
- Builder. You’re someone who thinks strategically. You’re excited about the opportunity to take the status quo as just a starting point, then implement best practices and continually innovate.
- Goal-oriented. You set aggressive goals that are achievable, then focus on exceeding them.
- Experienced. You have deep knowledge of both the art and science of fundraising. You have a proven track record of directly securing transformational gifts and growing major and planned giving programs. You draw from your full-stack experience to deliver innovative solutions.
- Action-oriented. You know how to get things done. You operate with urgency and efficiency. You know how to identify problems and love to develop plans informed by data to deliver and solve them.
- Relationship-manager. You love working with people and know how to nurture and maintain relationships with current and prospective major and planned giving donors.
- Inspirational. You are a strong storyteller and know how to demonstrate the impact of a gift on The Trevor Project’s life-saving work.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee the hiring, managing, mentoring, and evaluation of staff, fostering an environment of commitment, passion, and professionalism
- Lead goal-setting for major and planned giving programs, and work collaboratively to develop reports and dashboards to track progress toward goals and key metrics
- Oversee the major gifts program including strategy, research, communication, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, and assure that all major donors have a delightful donor experience
- Oversee Trevor’s growing planned giving program including external vendors, strategy, research, communication, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, and assure that all planned giving donors have a delightful donor experience
- Manage a portfolio of major and planned giving prospects with high gift capacity, and personally cultivate, solicit, and steward donors
- Develop strategy and lead the major gifts team through long term campaigns, including funding the organizations’ multi-year strategic growth plan, to short term campaigns during important moments for the organization, including TrevorLIVE gala and LGBTQ Pride month.
- Assist with setting strategy and managing the CEO, Chief Development Officer, and Senior Director of Individual Giving’s top prospect portfolios
- Assist with board solicitation and support of their personal fundraising
Compensation & Benefits
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend, and reimbursement to outfit your work from home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Michelle Bonoan and Jennifer Smith of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.