About The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce & Industry:
The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce & Industry (“the Chamber”) represents the diverse interests of more than 750 members from business sectors and locations across Massachusetts’ North Shore.
The Chamber speaks as a collective voice on issues that impact businesses, the economy, and the community. The Chamber leads public policy and business growth initiatives, fosters strong business relationships, and creates meaningful events and programs to inform, engage, and connect members.
The Chamber’s key initiatives are as follows:
Provide Business Growth Opportunities via Marketing Programs and Networking: Offering robust and penetrating marketing and advertising programs in addition to lively networking events, Chamber members are fueled for growth by gaining the prospects and business alliances they need.
Organize Community and Member Events: The Chamber facilitates many events and programs each year from signature events like waterfront concerts and movies, restaurant weeks, the annual Chamber Pot and Golf Outing, as well as smaller events like Networking at Night, monthly breakfast meetings and seminars, and small business development programs. The Chamber seeks to meet the needs of businesses of all sizes, while providing a boost to the local and regional economy.
Help Shape Public Policy and Provide Community Service: The Chamber advocates on behalf of the business community to advance the common good and protect the interest of businesses on current issues. The Chamber is a firm believer in supporting the needs of the community at-large, donating energy and resources into several beautification programs, and supporting the needs of dozens of local charities.
Additional information can be found at www.newburyportchamber.org
The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce seeks a President and CEO who will showcase their various leadership, business strategy, and fundraising skills while leading an organization that is poised and committed to growth.
As President and CEO, the ideal candidate will bring their vision for a vibrant and innovative Chamber that reflects Newburyport’s offerings, while leading and managing teams and programs that drive engagement.
The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce is a key community leader in the region, and the President and CEO will be expected to plan, organize, and direct all operations of the organization, and develop strategy and direct timely/tactical execution of plans to achieve desired results. Accordingly, the President and CEO is expected to select, develop, lead, and manage a team of five full-time staff and 30+ volunteers, and oversee an operating budget of approximately $675,000 in revenue (with expectations for annual growth). The President and CEO will be a highly visible face of the organization, advancing the voice of commerce, playing a critical role in public policy development, strengthening the Chamber’s relevance and brand recognition, and providing opportunities to members to develop their businesses.
The next President and CEO of the Chamber, in partnership with the Board of Directors, will develop a vision and strategic plan for the Chamber and provide strategic leadership to grow and guide the organization’s impact in the region. The ideal candidate will represent the Chamber to its’ membership and in the broader business, government and civic communities. For this role, knowledge of and connectivity within the North Shore business community is ideal.
The President and CEO position requires demonstrated team building, leadership, delegation, business acumen and strategic growth experience. Knowledge and expertise with strategic planning, local legislative affairs, and execution of annual business and operation plans are essential.
As the leader of the Chamber, it is imperative that the candidate have public relations and coalition building capabilities. The brand of this Chamber warrants sensitivity to a diversity of cultures, nationalities, religions and political interest, in addition to diverse business interests including downtown retailers and small business professionals, healthcare organizations, non-profits, and manufacturers.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills and characteristics:
Leadership & Vision
- Provide assertive leadership and direction for the success of the Chamber in a dynamic and changing environment
- Work in close harmony with the Board to establish and maintain an overall vision for the Chamber
- Establish, maintain, and evaluate the Chamber’s long-range objectives and strategies for accomplishing those objectives
- Identify opportunities or issues that require the Chamber’s attention and make recommendations to the Board, as appropriate
- Make productive use of board member expertise in pursuing the Chamber’s strategic plan and annual operations plan
- Evaluate the financial needs of the Chamber throughout the fiscal year and for the future
- Actively participate in and lead an annual budget review for approval by the Finance Committee, Executive Committee and Board
- Direct all human resource activity consistent with program needs, established policies, and budget guidelines
- Continuously evaluate staff performance and document performance annually
- Establish benchmarks and protocols for staff training and professional development
- Make public addresses or secure other appropriate speakers concerning Chamber and community activities and issues
Program Management & Membership Engagement
- In collaboration with Director of Membership, oversee the direction of all membership efforts of the Chamber, including solicitation of new members, retention of current members, and dues structure review
- Oversee all events and programs and maintain an offering of events and sponsorships that align with member needs and strategic objectives
- Develop and coordinate the necessary Chamber leadership and volunteer manpower to accomplish the Chamber programs including volunteer assistance from the Board
- Develop a vision and strategy for the Chamber’s growth and programming that clearly defines and articulates the organization’s value proposition to its members moving forward
- Setting a strategy for membership growth and increasing rates of retention
- Partner effectively with the Board of Directors and staff to deepen engagement with members; ensure productive use of board member expertise in pursuing the Chamber’s strategic and annual operations plan
Advocacy & Public Policy
- Maintain leadership position and close liaison with key economic and community development organizations at the local, regional, state, and national level to advance the Chamber’s agenda
- Act as the business community’s primary advocate and spokesperson
- Effectively engage in public policy issues that pertain to the business community and the future success of the community and region
- Communicate the Chamber’s mission, vision, perspectives, and activities to stakeholders throughout the community, region, and state
- Create and maintain an environment conducive to public/private/nonprofit collaboration to enhance the business climate
- Develop and maintain knowledge of community, region, and state issues; as well as activities and events that would or could affect the Chamber and membership community
- Work with regional partners to further infrastructure and economic development initiatives
A bachelor’s degree is required. Other desirable qualifications include:
- Certified Chamber Executive (CCE) or Certified Association Executive (CAE) (preferred)
- Economic development and/or marketing/publishing experience desired
- Leadership, management and excellent communication skills desired; strategic growth expertise; current and contemporary marketing and sales comprehension; long-range business and financial planning, and sense of personal and professional responsibility and integrity
- Ability and willingness to travel and attended after hour/weekend events and activities as need
To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education, and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.