New York, NY | May 5, 2020
About Supermajority Education Fund
Women are on the cusp of becoming the most powerful force in America. But to fundamentally transform this country, we need to pull together the millions of women who are already engaged and amplify and expand their civic participation. Supermajority Education Fund is a new effort to build women’s power across the country by training and mobilizing a multiracial, intergenerational community who will lead the fight for gender equity. We will provide women with the tools, resources, and knowledge they need to channel the energy and activism of this moment and build it into a long-term movement for change.
Our goal is to engage millions of women and others who share common values on the need to achieve gender equity. Supermajority Education Fund will provide the training and community-building to help people both stay engaged and also increase their skills and confidence as advocates and grassroots organizers. We seek to build a national cohort of leaders that is multiracial and intergenerational, representing the diversity of our country, who learn from us and from each other about the powerful possibility of women. Through ongoing exposure to leaders, community efforts, and issue education, we will create a united force across America that can work together to create the will to make substantive progress on issues that affect millions of women – from reproductive equity to affordable child care to equal pay. Supermajority Education Fund was created out of the belief that women know how to solve these problems but we need a trained, organized, and united national movement in order to make real lasting change.
About the Role – Director of Digital Content and Audience Development
Supermajority Education Fund is seeking a Director of Digital Content and Audience Development reporting to the Managing Director of Communications and Brand. The Director of Digital Content and Audience Development will primarily be responsible for the growth of Supermajority’s audience by creating and managing engaging, sharable content across Supermajority’s platforms including Suermajority.com, social media platforms, and Supermajority News.
The Director of Digital Content and Audience Strategy will oversee the strategy, production, execution, and distribution of content that drives engagement. This person will manage a team of in-house, consultant and freelance content creators to help maximize the number of views, clicks, engagements, shares, and people who sign up to be Supermajority members. Additionally, the Director will work with their communications and brand team colleagues to create and manage a content calendar based on organizational goals and priorities while ensuring that all content is consistent with Supermajority Education Fund’s brand and voice.
The Director of Digital Content and Audience Strategy will bring a digital-first perspective, a deep knowledge of digital mediums, and a keen understanding of the digital content landscape – aware of what other organizations are creating compelling content that pushes the envelope and includes non-traditional voices and platforms. They will have a passion for creative storytelling that reaches people where they are — particularly those who are not currently engaged in politics or advocacy — and helps call them in to take action. Decisions on what to produce and distribute will be made in a data-driven way with an eye toward audience growth as well as diversity — in particular across race, age, and geography.
This person will have a commitment to gender equity, racial justice, and economic equality. They will be passionate about spotlighting the voices and stories of women and girls of different backgrounds, races, and ages — from everyday heroes who are using activism to help their communities to national and international leaders who are doing inspiring things.
This position requires someone who can deftly navigate ambiguity and has a track record for creating and optimizing processes and norms in partnership with a hard-working team of equally motivated and passionate people. The Director of Digital Content and Audience Strategy should be undaunted by the chance to create something new, and function well within a startup environment.
Essential Responsibilities and Activities:
- Develops and manages the content and distribution strategy across Supermajority’s platforms including Supermajority News, Supermajority.com, and social media to maximize audience growth and engagement
- Supervises day-to-day operations of the digital content team including but not limited to: Manage and help hire a diverse team of in-house consultants and freelance content creators including those responsible for content across platforms, graphic design, digital video creators, and writers
- Collaborates across departments to create engaging content including written work, graphics, video, social media posts, and live-streamed events
- Ensures content meets the set standards and is consistent with the brand and voice of Supermajority
- Works with the Managing Director on strategic planning and budgeting with an eye toward audience growth
- Works with the Managing Director to develop the content, look, and feel of Supermajority.com and the Supermajority News platform
- Uses data to inform strategic decision-making, meet set goals for audience growth and drive improvements in content, reach and engagement across channels
- Works across Supermajority teams to develop inspirational content that features:
- Women organizers, activists, leaders, and influencers who are fighting for gender equity
- Issues of importance to women through the lens of Majority Rules
- The affiliated 501(c)(4) project at the Sixteen Thirty Fund also coordinates with Supermajority’s 501(c)(4) organization that operates independently. The Director of Digital Content and Audience Strategy will develop content here that features:
- Candidates, political parties, voting information, and political analysis in the leadup to the 2020 election
- Calls to action, compelling audiences to join Supermajority or take action in their communities
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Experience growing online audience through digital content creation and distribution across multiple formats
- Creative drive to generate unique content ideas and try new methods
- Experience using analytics tools to track and measure impact, identify trends and opportunities to inform and create content
- High functionality in a startup environment
- Exceptional editing, writing and communication skills, including the ability to shape a narrative and create clickable content
- Experience hiring and leading racially diverse teams, developing talent and keeping creative work streams on track
- Organized, timely, and detail-oriented approach to each task
- Highly collaborative
- Strong virtual communication and collaboration: Efficiency and comfort with Slack and Google Suite, responsiveness via email, and willingness to participate in weekly group calls or as needed
- Working for racial equity: Willingness to integrate an understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class, and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects
The strongest candidates will also possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience successfully reaching and growing online audiences of women ages 25 – 39
- Experience successfully reaching and growing online audiences of women of color
- The annual salary starts at $125,000 and is commensurate with experience.
- Supermajority Education Fund, a fiscally sponsored project of the New Venture Fund, provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; paid time off; and retirement benefits.
The Application Process
Supermajority has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To apply, please create a Basic Profile using this link or click the Express Interest button. The process takes no more than 5 minutes and all you need is your resume. Lastly, while there is an option to submit a cover letter, we kindly request that you not submit one as it will not be read.
Individuals who complete the profile by May 14th will be given priority; therefore, we encourage you to submit yours soon!
This evaluation process will follow best practices shown to reduce bias in decision making and may be different from other application processes you have experienced. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.