Founded in 2001 and based in Oakland, CA, Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI) currently operates STEM and computing-focused education programs in California for underrepresented middle and high school students. LPFI is part of the Kapor Center for Social Impact, a community of organizations and partnerships focused on leveraging the power of information technology to benefit underserved communities in the United States.
LPFI operates the following programs: the Summer Math and Science Honors Academy (SMASH) is a yearround academic program that serves high school students, the Saturday Math and Science Honors program (SMASH Prep) serves African American boys in grades 68, and Level the Coding Field hackathons are a twoday coding exposure experience for middle and high school students. Additionally, (and connectedly) LPFI conducts research-examining inequity in access and opportunity across K12, higher education, and workplace contexts in order to improve the outcomes for underrepresented students in STEM fields.
Level Playing Field Institute is seeking a dynamic and talented Site Director that will lead all SMASH program operations, activities and staff for a Northern California host university/college. Site Directors are critical to the Programs team and the future scaling and growth of the SMASH program.
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Site Director (SD) will be responsible for building, sustaining and improving the transformative educational experience that SMASH Scholars need to pursue, persist and succeed in STEM. Seasonal instructional, residential and operations teams will report to the Site Director who is responsible for overall program delivery and performance at the SMASH site. Site sizes range from 30 to 100 rising 10th, 11th and 12th grade students. SDs, with the help of the Central Office, are responsible for hiring, training and overseeing the site teams, typically between 15 to 30 staff members, along with student recruitment responsibilities and overseeing admissions decisions.The Site Director provides leadership,vision and direction to SMASH Scholars, their parents and other community constituent groups aligned with the LPFI mission.
LPFI is currently hiring for two Site Directors. These are full-time positions based in Oakland, CA.
The Site Director(s) at Level Playing Field Institute will have the following responsibilities:
Program Management (60%)
- Oversee the various components of a year round academic enrichment program, including a five week residential program at the host university/college, while actively developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, g. LPFI leadership, Scholar and Family Community, University Partners, Corporate Partners, Donors, etc.
- Hire and directly supervise Residential Director, Lead Instructor and Program Assistant
- Support the Lead Instructor with (in tandem with Curriculum + Instruction Director):
- Hiring and performance management of Instructors
- Classroom reservations, logistics, supplies and activities planning
- Administration and proctoring of assessments
- Support the Residential Director with:
- Hiring and performance management of Residential Advisors
- Planning and implementation of SMASH Academy residential programming
- Enforce program policy and actively manage scholar behavior
- Lead recruitment and admissions processes of SMASH Scholars
- Establish and manage site operating budget via collaboration with Director of Programs and Accounting team
- Plan and facilitate program events and activities throughout the academic year and SMASH Academy, including field trips, supporting CS Academic Year Program, workshops and volunteer opportunities
- Uphold academic rigor and program code of conduct
- Facilitate and manage all site processes, operations and logistics, in addition to managing all event space reservation procedures
- Manage volunteer programs, conduct training and necessary communications
Scholar, Alumni and Family Relations (20%)
- Manage timely communication with applicants, scholars, and parents regarding LPFI hosted events, local opportunities and STEM exposure activities
- Oversee SMASH Parent Representative Program including program strategy, communications and events
- Facilitate alumni information requests from various LPFI departments, g. Research, Development, etc.
- Oversee implementation and collaborate with Programs team on strategic direction of SMASH Alumni Program
- Ensure scholar satisfaction and commitment to SMASH mission
Relationship Development, Management and Strategic Partnerships (20%)
- Act as liaison and primary contact with university/college, school district, school and community organization partners
- Create a relationship driven site team culture and implement innovative site staff retention strategies
- Identify strategic partnership prospects and cultivate potential funding relationships
- Manage the alignment of individual site needs with LPFI priorities
- Bachelor degree in the STEM field; Advanced degree in STEM or education preferred
- 4+ years in program management in education and/or youth development, or equivalent
- Strong leadership abilities including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with culture and team building, prioritization and planning, mentoring and coaching
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working with youth from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong project manager and selfstarter with ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to be flexible, resilient and adapt to changing priorities
- High attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Energetic work attitude and entrepreneurial spirit
- Desire and ability to work in a fastpaced, collaborative, team environment
- Demonstrated commitment to STEM diversity
- Exemplifies LPFI Organizational Values Focus on Impact, Strengthen Our Communities, Balance Passion and Practicality, Experiment, Evaluate, Modify, and Implement, Be a Strong Link in the Chain, Celebrate and Have Some Fun
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Level Playing Field Institute has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Sam Simmons here.
In keeping with LPFI’s beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/ harassment based on “protected categories,” Level Playing Field Institute also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Level Playing Field Institute.
About Level Playing Field Institute:
Level Playing Field Institute is committed to eliminating the barriers faced by underrepresented people of color in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and fostering their untapped talent for the advancement of our nation.
We envision a world where a true level playing field exists – a world where everyone has equitable access to opportunities, including the historically disenfranchised.
This level playing field would start in our educational system. Disparities in resources, high-quality teachers, rigorous courses, and technology would not exist. All students, regardless of race/ethnicity, economic background, parent education level, or neighborhood would be provided with opportunities to excel academically, access rigorous courses, and be prepared to apply to, and graduate from, top colleges and universities across the United States. As a result, our communities and workplaces will benefit from well-prepared, competitive leaders representing broad perspectives and sectors of society.
LPFI provides the resources and support to ensure that underrepresented students of color throughout our nation can overcome barriers and obstacles to their success and thrive in STEM fields of study, from K-12 through higher education. For more information visit www.lpfi.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.