Boston, MA | May 14, 2021
Simmons is dedicated to empowering women, developing leaders, and advancing equity and justice both locally and globally. It is a multi-faceted university offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs in both on campus and online modalities. Simmons is anchored by its highly respected women-centered undergraduate programs and enriched by its coeducational graduate offerings — accessible both on the ground and online — in health sciences, liberal arts, business, communications, social work, public health, and library and information science. For the last four decades, Simmons has sponsored the Simmons Leadership Conference, the premier women’s leadership conference in the world.
Reporting directly to President Lynn Wooten, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) will be a key leader in achieving the strategic priorities of Simmons University to build a strong and distinctive brand platform, develop and implement effective internal communication practices, and advance the University’s reputation and visibility. The CMO will educate, motivate, and lead a team of in-house staff and external consultants to implement the marketing and communications program across channels (e.g., print, presentations, video, visual and digital media, social media, media relations, community relations, special events, email, and the web). The CMO will lead a department of about 15 dedicated and talented professionals.
The successful candidate is a strategic and thoughtful communicator, a prudent change-agent and collaborator, and a diplomatic and driven leader. The CMO excels at storytelling in all forms to convey the distinctive contributions and lifelong value of Simmons University in the lives of its constituents. The successful candidate will also bring many of the following personal qualities and professional qualifications:
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in public relations and marketing, preferably in higher education.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or have an equivalent combination of education/experience is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership of strategic communications through creativity and resourcefulness.
- Collaboration with leaders, institution-wide, with the ability to adapt the presentation of ideas for various needs and perspectives in an energizing and inspiring way.
- Extensive expertise in brand building and marketing planning and execution.
- Strong commitment to equity and demonstrated success building and supporting diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience speechwriting and messaging for the president and other senior leaders.
- Experience developing an internal communications program that builds trust and confidence in organizational decision-making.
To express your interest in this role please submit your materials (resume and cover letter) here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Consistent with the University’s goals to achieve diversity at all levels of university leadership, Simmons encourages nominations and applications from individuals in traditionally underrepresented groups and those dedicated to building a culture of inclusive excellence at Simmons. The University is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, ancestry, class, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Read and download the Position Profile here.