About See Forever Foundation:
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation’s mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. Today, the See Forever Foundation supports three schools: the Maya Angelou Pubic Charter High School and Young Adult Learning Center (YALC) , housed in Northeast, DC, along with the Maya Angelou Academy, located in New Beginnings in Laurel, Maryland. Our results show that we are achieving our goals. At the Maya Angelou Schools, students transform “risk” into resilience, enabling them to outpace their peers and improve academically at rates that far exceed their previous paces of learning.
In our schools:
- Over-aged under-credited, court-involved, and/or disengaged teens can connect with adults who believe in them, support them, and challenge them to excel;
- Curriculum is built around competency-based learning and promotion, where students at all academic levels and ages can achieve at high levels;
- Learning is relevant, meaningful, and engaging;
- Students are in small classes, typically ranging from 5-15 students;
- Students feel a strong sense of community and family in school;
- Teachers are completely committed to educating some of DC’s most at-risk students; and
- Students graduate with the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
To learn more about the See Forever Foundation and the Maya Angelou Schools please visit http://www.seeforever.org.
See Forever Foundation and the Maya Angelou Schools seek a proven and experienced executive who has the drive, creativity, management, and leadership skills to lead a fast-moving organization focused on educational excellence for young people most at risk. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) directs the work of the See Forever Foundation and provides oversight and strategic leadership for a network of schools. The CEO leads a talented and dynamic leadership team that includes a Chief Operating Officer, Chief of Schools and Chief Development Officer as well as key directors of administration, data and programming. This team supervises and supports the network of See Forever schools with over 160 employees and an annual budget of approximately $16 million. Currently the See Forever Foundation has 297 students across the three campuses, 180 enrolled at the High School, 30 at the Academy and 140 in the YALC.
At the core of the See Forever Foundation’s mission is the commitment to students who benefit from alternative education and have struggled in the traditional school environment. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, evolving, nurturing environment that is grounded in a comprehensive approach to education that focuses on academic achievement, social and emotional support, and career and college preparation so students are ready for life. In particular, strong candidates will possess the strategic, problem solving and communication skills to enhance the performance of staff and bring knowledge and experience with a clear understanding of the challenges and opportunities in adult learning, special education, and alternative schools. An added understanding of and experience with blended learning and familiarity with the DC education sector would be beneficial.
The Chief Executive Officer must excel at building relationships among a wide variety of constituencies, managing a talented team, and driving results. In addition, the CEO will work closely with the Board of Directors, administrative staff, and senior leaders of the See Forever Foundation to manage, improve and strengthen a growing set of schools within the alternative model.
The CEO is responsible for ensuring the organization’s unique position in the education and juvenile justice sectors and has primary responsibility for:
- Strategic planning and implementation to establish and achieve near and long-term priorities and goals;
- Oversight and management of the network of schools to ensure organizational effectiveness, high quality staff and high staff performance, accountability to key stakeholders/parents, and student success;
- External relationships with key stakeholders to advance organizational goals, advocate on behalf of our target population, and secure resources to support the organization’s short and longer-term goals;
- Development and communications to maintain private revenue base necessary to support programming and build awareness and the profile of our programs and students;
- Financial management and fiscal accountability for operational needs and planning for long term financial sustainability;
- Board relations with the See Forever Foundation and Maya Angelou Public Charter School boards through regular meetings and engaging members in an ongoing advisory capacity; and
- Policy/advocacy to promote alternative education, advance new accountability frameworks, promote communitywide collective action on behalf of youth at high risk for not reaching their potential.
Working with its multiple stakeholders, the Chief Executive Officer ensures that See Forever’s programs and initiatives are in line with its mission and are responsive to the needs of its target population. It is crucial that the CEO also sets the tone for collaborative working relationships and practices that empower high performance, leadership and ethical behavior within the organization. The incumbent will be expected to enthusiastically pursue new and ongoing funding opportunities, partnerships, and venues for visibility and exposure for the organization as a whole, while inspiring and guiding staff.
Desired qualifications include:
- A passion for the mission and work of the See Forever Foundation is a must with an understanding of the unique population the Maya Angelou Schools serves;
- Demonstrated commitment to the education attainment of students who have struggled in education;
- Demonstrated strong management skills;
- Substantial experience with educational programming in the context of alternative education or juvenile justice and a strong understanding of positive youth development principles and practices;
- Ability to inspire and build positive rapport with diverse stakeholders, such as staff, board, students and parents, benefactors, and community partners in support of program and students;
- Experience in fundraising and developing in-kind and public support;
- Strong community relations experience and familiarity dealing with local policy-making and state education authorizers;
- Experience in designing and managing organizational systems;
- Experience leading an organization through strategic planning and implementation;
- The capability to effectively build, develop and maintain strong relationships, analyze data and metrics while translating plans into action;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, including fiscal oversight experience;
- An entrepreneurial problem-solving approach and spirit;
- Excellent written, verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills with keen attention to detail; and
- A graduate degree in education or a management-related field is also preferred but not required.
See Forever Foundation has engaged Liz Lombard and Turner Delano of Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
See Forever Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.