Flexible Location, USA | December 18, 2020
About State Innovation Exchange
The State Innovation Exchange (SiX) is a 501(c)(3) policy, strategy, and resource center for progressive state legislators. We empower, embolden, and equip state legislators to build and wield progressive governing power by/with/for the people they represent. We do this by providing legislators with the tools needed to shape impactful public policy and building their capacity to lead with their constituents. We foster long-term collaboration between legislators – across chambers, across regions, and across state lines – and with grassroots movements. Our vision is an equitable, resilient, healthy, and prosperous future for every person in the United States, which is secured and safeguarded by progressive state legislators. SiX’s sister organization, SiX Action is a 501(c)(4) that works alongside SiX to build the capacity of state legislators by providing policy development, communications tools, and technical assistance.
For more information on SiX, please visit our website.
The Senior Vice President, State Strategy & Services is a part of the senior management team at SiX and oversees the organization’s presence and execution of its legislative strategy and program in statehouses across the country. This position manages and supports a growing team of national and in-state remote staff who work with legislators and partners in states to build and wield community power through strategic external stakeholder engagement and movement building. This position plays the central role in developing, implementing, expanding, and managing SiX’s legislative affairs strategy, program, and legislator engagement. This position manages and grows key national partnerships. A critical function of this position is in liaising with other departments across SiX to promote collaboration and impact.
All staff roles at SiX are grounded in a set of core competencies that are standardized across the organization based on the type of role you hold. As the Senior Vice President, State Strategy & Services, you will be expected to demonstrate the following core competencies in your day-to-day work:
- Equity and Inclusion. You have a sophisticated understanding of how racial, gender, economic, and social inequity impacts supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, and campaigns and coalition work, and successfully intervene in problematic dynamics to deepen a justice approach within your team and with partners.
- National Strategy and Oversight. You are able to design the strategy, impact, and resource deployment for at least one of the organization’s core program/issue areas.
- Staff Management. You are able to hire, support, and cultivate the leadership of staff in your program/issue area. You effectively engage in and resolve conflict and you are able to adeptly manage across lines of difference within a multi-racial organization.
- External Partner Management and Movement Building. You are able to identify, cultivate, and maintain successful partnerships with external stakeholders in the implementation and impact of your program/issue area. You possess the ability to identify, recruit, hire, delegate, and manage contractors and/or vendors to implement components of the work on an as needed basis
- External Communications and Brand Management. You are able to represent the organization and serve as a spokesperson and thought leader with legislators, the public, and members of the press. You advance the organization’s reputation, profile, and brand with key stakeholders. You ensure departmental participation in national conferences and events, as needed. You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge Management. You are able to design and manage systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by your portfolio. You ensure consistent data collection and analysis on key project outcomes. You work collaboratively with the Executive Team and senior management to integrate cross-program activities and functions.
- Financial Oversight. You are able to drive financial decision-making and resource allocation for your program/issue area. You are able to design and manage your program/issue area budget and synthesize financial information for organizational use.
- Fund Development. You are able to drive the fund development strategy for your program/issue area. You are able to effectively design funding requests and communicate those ideas, both in writing and in-person, to targeted audiences.
- Compliance. You are able to ensure that all activities within your program/issue area, as well as the staff you manage, comply with relevant nonprofit laws and adhere to internal policies, practices, and protocols.
- Organizational Culture and Values. You are able to ensure that you, and all members of your team, practice and uphold the organization’s values in your day-to-day and long-term work. You steward and exemplify an organizational culture that is productive, collaborative, and equitable.
All staff at SiX have personalized role responsibilities – the outcomes and impacts you are expected to deliver as part of your unique role within the organization. As the Vice President, State Strategy & Services you will report to the Co-Executive Director and be responsible for delivering on the following expectations in your day-to-day work:
- Manage and drive SiX’s legislative program in state and nationally, including national campaigns, coalition building, policy promotion, and legislative organizing strategies.
- Set the strategic vision for the department, considering state political ecosystems, movement development and gaps, and SiX’s organizational priorities and overall programming.
- Collaborate with other members of senior leadership to develop, shape, and implement SiX’s organizational impact goals and strategy.
- Provide high-level strategic counsel as a member of the Executive Committee, helping to shape organizational development, including long-term strategy and growth, targeting, and legislative and political opportunities to advance SiX’s mission and presence in states.
- Effectively ensure high-quality program and outcome-based impact as outlined in legislative portfolio goals and SiX’s strategic plan.
- Provide national-level leadership and decisions for programs within the legislative portfolio, ensuring that opportunities to collaborate across programs and departments are identified and executed.
- Recruit, supervise, mentor, and support the Legislative Affairs team.
- Cultivate an environment of positive team building and drive organizational culture-building activities.
- Manage across identify and difference in ways that are supportive and affirming.
- Support staff in identifying opportunities for advancement of SiX’s policy programs and developing strategic state plans to leverage those opportunities, set goals, and achieve objectives; oversee and track team progress toward the organization’s and portfolio’s overall programmatic goals.
- Oversee the execution of special projects, as necessary.
- Ensure Legislative Affairs staff are collaborating across the organization, as necessary.
Fundraising & External Relations
- Represent the organization and serve as a spokesperson and thought leader with the public and members of the press.
- Advance the organization’s reputation, profile, and brand with key stakeholders.
- As a member of the Executive Committee, expand revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing programs and the growth of SiX, cultivate existing donor relationships and develop new funder relationships.
- In collaboration with the Co-Executive Directors and Development staff, lead the development of proposal design and writing for projects in your portfolio, ensuring compliance with organizational and funder requirements.
- Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with key legislators, partners, and coalitions.
- Represent the organization in key tables, coalitions, and meetings with national and state-based partners and funders.
- Coordinate with state and national partners to execute projects and pursue shared policy goals.
- Ensure internal coordination across departments for partnerships that have multiple touchpoints.
- Manage the necessary systems, processes, and tools to track, evaluate, and synthesize strategy, output, and impact for your portfolio.
- Champion and support processes that contribute to deepening an inclusive, equitable culture.
- Democratize important programmatic and organizational information with your department, your management peers, and the executive team.
- Design, manage, monitor, and course-correct portfolio budget where needed to ensure alignment with internal controls and compliance.
- Ensure the integrity of state-based budgets through Senior Directors.
- Ensure the integrity of all project expenses for department staff in compliance with internal controls, systems, and funder requirements in a timely manner.
- Understand and ensure compliance with federal lobbying laws and the lobbying, ethics, and gift laws of the states in your portfolio.
- Abide by all organizational compliance guidelines and raise compliance questions or concerns as appropriate.
Compensation & Benefits
At SiX, we commit to equal pay for equal work. To counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, we use a nonnegotiable starting salary system, while benchmarking our pay to highly competitive markets in the nonprofit sector. The salary for this position is $160,000. In addition, SiX offers competitive benefits including generous healthcare coverage options for you and your family, life insurance, a retirement match, flexible schedule, and a generous leave and holiday schedule. More information about our benefits and compensation philosophy is available here. This is a full-time, exempt position. The position is remote and open to anyone living in the continental United States. Due to COVID-19, we have prohibited work-related travel for the foreseeable future.
Molly Brennan and Shelby Woods of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email [email protected]. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
State Innovation Exchange is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ folks, and immigrants to apply for open positions. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, age, maritial, and/or veteran status or any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state, or local law.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.