The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a network of over 130 affiliated professors from over 40 universities who conduct randomized evaluations (randomized controlled trials, RCTs) of social policies aimed at ensuring that policy is based on scientific evidence. J-PAL’s three core activities are:
- Conducting Rigorous Impact Evaluations: J-PAL conducts randomized evaluations to test and improve the effectiveness of programs and social policies.
- Building Capacity: Providing expertise for people interested in rigorous program evaluation and training others to conduct randomized evaluations.
- Informing Policy: Disseminating the results of J-PAL affiliates’ research to policymakers, identifying the most cost-effective ways to achieve policy goals, and promoting the scale-up of highly effective policies and programs.
J-PAL North America is the most recent regional center of J-PAL and focuses on promoting and supporting randomized evaluations in the United States and Canada, advocating for evidence informed social policy, and building capacity of policymakers and researchers from these countries in using and commissioning such evidence.
J-PAL North America is recruiting a Senior Manager for Finance and Administration to direct the financial and administrative functions of the office, as well as manage the J-PAL North America Finance and Administration team. This is a senior-level position and the Senior Finance and Administration Manager will be responsible for the strategic leadership of the organization’s operations and financial management.
The position is based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA. For more information on J-PAL, please visit www.povertyactionlab.org.
This is a senior-level position within J-PAL North America and bears significant responsibility for the overall financial and operational strength of the organization.
Manage J-PAL North America’s grant funds, including multi-million dollar initiatives, in accordance with MIT and donor requirements. Report regularly to J-PAL North America’s senior leadership and initiative managers on grant financials. Develop multi-year budgets and financial projections for J-PAL North America programs and initiatives, including exercising judgment on how to allocate funding across priorities.
Work with program staff to develop proposals and budgets, anticipating potential logistical or administrative challenges. Working with the Department of Economics, the School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, and MIT’s Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), among others, manage the timely assembly and submission of proposals that meet MIT’s standards and requirements for submission. Monitor budgets, personnel allocations, expenses, and deliverables for organizational grants. Liaise with OSP, MIT’s Office of the Vice President for Finance (VPF), vendors and implementing partners to establish and monitor purchase orders and sub-awards under existing grants. Manage reporting to donors, and requests for extensions and modifications. Maintain relationships with current donors and help strategize on new funding streams.
Directly manage and develop financial and administrative staff at J-PAL North America responsible for grants management and office administration. Ensure financial and operational processes run smoothly and effectively, documenting best practices and streamlining systems and processes as needed. In addition to directly managing the finance and administrative staff, also provide broad, high-level leadership on human capital development for J-PAL North America overall. This includes overseeing the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of J-PAL North America staff, developing the career opportunities for managers across the office, and managing the annual performance review process.
Fundraising and Financial Sustainability
Coordinate the organization’s efforts to strengthen current relationships with foundations and scope opportunities for new relationships with philanthropic organizations and individuals.
J-PAL invests in professional development. As the Senior Manager for Finance and Administration, you will learn, engage, and grow.
J-PAL supports a culture of learning, with opportunities to attend weekly seminars, engage in small-group discussions with other J-PAL staff, and take classes for credit at MIT or elsewhere with our generous tuition assistance program.
In addition to working directly with senior J-PAL leadership, the Senior Manager for Finance and Administration will also have the chance to work with and learn from J-PAL associates and counterparts in other regions and offices around the world.
This position offers the opportunity for promotion to a more senior leadership position, based on experience and exceptional performance.
As a member of the MIT community, you benefit from more than just your salary.
J-PAL hires highly qualified staff and rewards them accordingly. Total compensation packages are competitive for the non-profit and government fields with excellent MIT benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, a 401(k) match and pension-based retirement plan, tuition assistance, commuter benefits, MIT community discounts, a generous vacation policy, and more.
Your technical expertise, strong communication and analytic skills, passion for translating research into action, and interest in state and local policy make you an ideal candidate for this position.
- Education: You hold a bachelor’s degree, and preferably a Master’s degree in a relevant field such as finance or public administration.
- Experience: You are a professional with deep experience in managing and administering complex operations and finances. Your work experience includes increasing levels of responsibility, a depth of experience in managing teams and the careers of people who report to you. Experience in an academic research setting, non-profit financial management, and high-level fundraising activities is strongly preferred.
- Management: You have demonstrated leadership experience, preferably in a supervisory role, with experience excelling in the “organizational management” activities described above.
- Communication: You are detail-oriented and have advanced written and verbal communication skills. You demonstrate confidence in communicating with executives and external parties. You exhibit professionalism and discretion.
- Technical skills: You have complete comfort with learning and using computer applications, including SalesForce, SharePoint, Excel, SAP and other finance and accounting platforms. You have strong analytical abilities and proven accomplishment in a position requiring independent planning and efficient utilization of resources.
- Organization: You are a strategic thinker. You can handle multiple projects at once, push forward external stakeholders, meet deadlines, and effectively manage your time. You pride yourself on your quality of work and exceptional level of attention to detail. You are comfortable working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Team player: You are able to build trust and good relationships within the larger J-PAL organization, its network of academics, partner organizations, and the MIT community. You maintain good relationships with a sense of humor.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
J-PAL North America has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
J-PAL North America is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.