Oakland, CA | September 30, 2019
Tenacity. Bravery. Creativity. Inclusivity. These core values serve as the foundation of the work that Capital Impact Partners (Capital Impact) does each and every day, putting money to work in creative ways to achieve powerful outcomes in communities nationwide.
Over the last 35 years, Capital Impact has deployed over $2.7B to serve 5M people and create more than 38,000 jobs in sectors critical to building equitable communities. This work is done in service to our mission of helping people build communities of opportunity that break barriers to success. With a team of almost 100 and headquartered in Arlington, VA, Capital Impact operates nationally, with local offices in Oakland, CA, New York, NY, and Detroit, MI. We are a non-profit mission-driven lender and Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that has supported the development of low-income underserved communities nationwide, delivering strategic financing, social innovation programs, and capacity building in five key sectors – health care, education, healthy foods, housing and aging. Capital Impact is also supporting the redevelopment of Detroit through multiple partnerships with banks and foundations.
Capital Impact’s mission is to deliver both capital and commitment to help people build communities of opportunity that break barriers to success. Capital Impact accomplishes this through a dynamic, agile approach that includes strategic lending, investments in social enterprises, and innovative program incubation primarily focused on four programmatic areas:
- Address Systemic Poverty: Effect systemic change at scale – from social systems to government programs – so that all people have paths out of poverty
- Create Equity: Support equitable access to quality services and economic opportunity regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, income or geography
- Build Healthy Communities: Foster connections and social supports that strengthen the links between health, education, housing and opportunity that help people and communities thrive together
- Promote Inclusive Growth: Build diverse, mixed-income communities that promote economic mobility and empower individuals to break the barriers to success.
Utilizing strong community partnerships and sound risk management practices, Capital Impact has consistently demonstrated its ability to deliver social impact and strong financial performance. Through this work, Capital Impact strives to address key social and economic justice issues as a means to create equity, build healthy communities, promote inclusive growth, and address systemic poverty. The organization is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of industry leaders representing a variety of sectors, including housing, education, health care and community development. For more information on our work, please visit our website and watch this video.
Capital Impact celebrates the diversity of our nation and community, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission. We encourage individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
About The opportunity
The Senior Director, Strategic Lending Initiatives (SDSLI) will strengthen our Lending Team by identifying, pursuing, leading and implementing strategic lending initiatives to enhance the Lending Group’s work. The SDSLI will build Capital Impact’s leadership in the CDFI industry and impact investing fields by ensuring that we proactively pursue emerging opportunities that deepen Capital Impact’s impact in uprooting social and economic barriers facing low-income populations, building partnerships, pursuing thought leadership opportunities, and staying abreast of trends. The role builds upon a solid understanding of Capital Impact’s position, internal processes, strengths and a track record of the successful implementation of new lending initiatives.
In this role, you will:
Lead the design and development of new lending initiatives and loan products
- Drive opportunities for strategic lending growth while aligning resources to specific target markets and sectors through leadership of the development and implementation of strategic lending initiatives related to Capital Impact’s theory of change, including capital development program design, internal capacity building, stakeholder relationship management, etc.
- Lead and facilitate the development of lending products that respond to community needs while increasing Capital Impact’s brand presence and market for products in its defined geographies.
- Incorporate sector knowledge into those products through coordination of direct staff with subject-matter responsibilities and contractors for research.
- Be accountable to the Lending Initiative Steering Committee members as well as other internal staff as required.
Build and maintain a strong network of partners for strategic lending initiatives and increase Capital Impact’s visibility
- Working with key leadership staff, cultivate strong relationships with our existing network of partners and identify new partners with whom to collaborate (including state and local agencies, foundations, impact investors, banks, community organizations, thought leaders and others).
- Represent Capital Impact in public forums across markets and present a comprehensive view of Capital Impact and what we do.
Lead lending strategy planning process
- Coordinate the annual planning process, define priorities, tactical plans and deployment strategies for lending activities and all new lending initiatives.
- Develop strategies in conjunction with, and lead the Lending Team’s delivery of content to the internally-designated lead project manager for written applications submitted to secure funding for new lending initiatives, including state, local grant and subsidy funding, program-related investments, grant funding from foundations and other funding/financing partners that support activities within Capital Impact’s target markets and major federal funding sources through the CDFI Fund (e.g., FA, HFFI, NMTC, Bond Guarantee Program), federal Department of Education, etc. and review final applications to ensure consistency with lending strategy.
Design innovative lending solutions
- Identify opportunities to use funding solutions within and adjacent to core sectors and geographies, grounded in research on critical barriers to economic and social mobility facing low-income populations and created by changes in public policy, financial markets, demographics, or other factors.
- Work closely with internal sector and market experts and external partners to identity capital gaps and opportunities for Capital Impact to grow its lending activities.
Candidate Profile and Qualifications
As the incoming Senior Director, Strategic Lending Initiatives, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited University or equivalent experience is required; an advanced degree in business, policy, or a related field is preferred
- 12+ years of lending experience; strong preference for experience in the CDFI industry and/or real estate lending experience;
- Experience blending different sources of capital for a lending outcome is preferred
- Knowledge of community development finance (secured real estate) as a lender and the ability to identify emerging opportunities with strategic relevance to Capital Impact lending initiatives;
- Strong project management and relationship management skills; high level of competency to handle multiple projects and relationships and manage progress; very organized, detail-oriented and customer service oriented;
- Demonstrated success managing a small team, preferably in a matrixed environment
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; strong written and verbal communication skills; strong negotiation and research skills;
- Exemplary work ethic; experience working across different disciplines; ability to work both independently and within a team structure; problem solver; resourceful and team player;
- Proficiency with Social Media platforms, Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Suite, Moody’s Lending Cloud and other related systems
Compensation & Benefits
Capital Impact offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Please visit our Careers page for more information about working at Capital Impact.
Capital Impact has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Diane Borradaile, here. All inquiries should be directed to Koya Leadership Partners.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.