CARE is a global humanitarian organization providing disaster relief to areas in crisis, while providing long-term solutions to poverty around the world. We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security. This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty.
In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a Senior Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations who will raise CARE’s profile in the Bay Area via the pursuit of strategic, high-value partnerships with foundations and companies. These partnerships will yield revenue, expand awareness of CARE among corporate employees and consumers, and leverage corporate talent to tackle the underlying causes of poverty that CARE seeks to address. Responsibilities include identifying, stewarding and coordinating high-quality proposals to new foundation and corporate supporters with the goal of increasing revenue and diversifying support for CARE in the Bay area.
The Senior Director will partner closely with the Senior Director of Development for Innovation on the corporate team, the West Coast Individual Giving team, the Director of Innovation Partnerships and the Atlanta based Foundations team. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, synthesizer, and consummate networker, who is able to rally disparate people and organizations around a common cause. S/he will present CARE and its focus on innovation in exciting and different ways with an emphasis on vision and co-creation.
This is a full-time position located in San Francisco, CA. For more information on CARE, please visit http://www.care.org.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately twenty professional foundations that recent research identified as prospects for funding CARE’s work.
- Leverage existing connections – their own, CARE leadership’s, and the individual giving team’s – to establish connections with these foundations, assess their alignment with CARE, and build a pipeline for funding within 18 – 24 months.
- Steward all successful engagements by monitoring grant implementation, sharing relevant updates with the Foundation staff, and cultivating support with the goal of renewing or expanding the engagement.
- Manage a portfolio of companies, including existing partners and new prospects. Seek to engage these companies in: philanthropic support for CARE programs, leveraging expertise to enhance CARE’s programming, engaging employees in Walk in Her Shoes and other initiatives, developing opportunities for co-branding and consumer engagement. It will be critical for the Senior Director to coordinate closely with other members of the West Coast team in order to maximize opportunities.
- Support local special events on the West Coast, specifically around corporate sponsorship opportunities.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Passion for CARE’s mission of Strong leader with 5-8 years of experience working in fundraising, business development or grant-writing with foundations and corporations.
- Experience creating multi-faceted engagements with donors;
- Experience with both institutional foundations and companies desired;
- Knowledge of international development, particularly in underserved countries, a strong plus;
- Experience engaging corporate employees in pro bono opportunities a plus;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills along with strong presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently and also to work collaboratively with other fundraising and program staff;
- Strong marketing and communications skills and an ability to represent CARE effectively with external partners;
- College degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
CARE has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.