Great education transforms lives. KIPP, the Knowledge is Power Program, is a non-profit network of 242 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating nearly 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation – are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
The non-profit KIPP Foundation trains and develops outstanding educators to lead KIPP schools, provides tools, resources, and training for excellent teaching and learning, promotes innovation, and facilitates the exchange of insights and ideas within the KIPP network and with partners including: other charters, districts, colleges and universities, and non-profit organizations across the country.
Why work at KIPP?
By working for the KIPP Foundation, you help more students across the country receive the high-quality education they deserve.
- Support KIPP leaders, teachers, and staff on the Network Leadership Development, KIPP School Leadership Programs, Teaching and Learning Labs, KIPP Through College, or Knowledge Sharing teams
- Ensure smart growth and great results on the Network Growth and Sustainability, Strategy, Research & Evaluation, or Insights and Analytics teams
- Broaden our impact on Government Affairs, External Impact, Marketing, Development, or Talent teams
- Keep us connected and operational on our IT or Finance teams
If you believe all children deserve great schools and programs where they can gain the knowledge, skills, character, and habits necessary to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place, join us!
KIPP Foundation Diversity Equity Inclusiveness Belief Statement
At KIPP we are responsible for building an organization emblematic of the world our children should inherit: an organization that is fully inclusive and anti-racist. Together, we work every day to create an organization that actively fights the systemic discrimination that plagues our country, both within our organization and in the broader community in which our children live. We work through discomfort to dismantle biases, blind spots, and internal structures that perpetuate the marginalization and disenfranchisement of historically oppressed groups. We will build an organization in which diversity, equity, and inclusion are internalized by all team members and evidenced in our structures, culture, and leadership.
For more information on KIPP, please visit kipp.org.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Senior Director, Leadership Development (SDLD) is a dynamic and entrepreneurial thought partner. The SDLD will be responsible for developing, maintaining and evaluating the effectiveness of learning solutions. The ideal SDLD will place a high emphasis on supporting and driving achievement of KIPPs strategic goals by leveraging talent expertise, initiatives, tools, and techniques. The successful candidate will manage the strategy and execution of the KIPP Foundation’s leadership models, performance management initiatives and people development, ensuring proper integration into talent management processes covering the full span of the “employee life cycle.” The SDLD shares our belief that people are our most important asset.
In addition, the SDLD supports a portfolio of internal client groups as an HR Business Partner, acting as the primary point of service contact for the leadership group and employees on interpreting human resource policies, procedures, and practices.
- Spearhead and identify leadership and performance management models needed to support culture and engagement
- Ensure effective delivery and implementation of the company’s suite of Leadership Development programs
- Drive the communication strategy with key stakeholders regarding the availability and status of leadership development programming
- Facilitate Train-the-Trainer workshops, as needed for leadership programs delivered by internal facilitators
- Manage Executive Coaching requests/process
- Develop and maintain strong synergistic relationships with colleagues and customers, including those internal to Human Resources (e.g., HR Business Partners)
- Manage vendor relationships and budgets associated with leadership development initiatives
- Oversee necessary logistics such as training rooms, external venues and provide supporting training materials, etc. (as applicable)
HR Business Partner
- Partner with leaders regarding employee relations, organization development, talent acquisition, learning & development, performance management, culture, total rewards, etc.
- Apply change management principles as initiatives are discussed, designed, developed, and executed
- Partner with others to build talent capability and knowledge within the department, specifically with respect to system and process (best practices)
- Facilitate the cascading of the talent initiatives and practices throughout the organization
- Provide counseling and coaching to managers (and employees) regarding day-to-day employee/manager interactions
- Partner with clients to implement all elements of performance management processes including cascading goals, feedback, coaching, development plans, career discussions, appropriate documentation, and appropriate actions for performance issues, etc.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Strategic and Visionary Learning & Development
- Change Management
- Systems Thinking
- Consulting Approaches
- Organizational Development (a plus)
- Project Manager
- Conflict Management
- Solutions Oriented
- Influencing Skills
- Collaborative Style
- Relationship Builder
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Awareness/Foundation
Experience and Qualifications
While we will consider a broad range of backgrounds, the ideal candidate would have the following qualifications/experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in Human Resources and/or Leadership Development
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, Master’s degree a plus
- Solid practical knowledge of talent management disciplines, such as: performance management, succession planning, talent planning, competency development, compensation, employee relations, and talent analytics
- Good interpersonal skills and strong analytical, management, and decision-making skills to assess training needs and recommend appropriate solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities while balancing quality with on-time delivery
- Self-starter, self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Working knowledge of strategic HR concepts: Organizational Development, Business Partner model, Conflict Management and Resolution, Talent Acquisition, EEO Compliance, Wage and Hour Compliance, Leave and Disability Management, Workplace Investigations
Ideally, this role will be based in New York City.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and PTO, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement are also offered by KIPP.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401K plan, and a significant paid time-off package.
APPLICATION: Please apply here.
The KIPP Foundation provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Maureen Alphonse Charles and Nadine Coleman are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link here or email [email protected] All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
KIPP Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.