Quincy, MA | November 6, 2019
About the Nellie Mae Education Foundation
The Nellie Mae Education Foundation (NMEF) is the largest philanthropy in New England dedicated exclusively to education and works to ensure that all youth have access to excellent and equitable public education that prepares them to succeed and thrive in community.
NMEF is at an exciting moment in its evolution, having recently completed an equity and strategy review to examine its investments and culture through the lens of racial equity. As a result, NMEF has reframed its mission to champion efforts that prioritize community goals that challenge racial inequities and advance excellent, student-centered public education for all New England youth. In order to fulfill this mission, NMEF will focus on:
- Building the capacity and leadership of community organizations that are led by and serving Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC);
- Supporting youth organizing groups that are working to advance racial equity in public education; and
- Supporting community-led and informed collaborative work between local school systems and their communities, with an emphasis on challenges and solutions related to racial equity.
Headquartered in Quincy, MA, the NMEF team is comprised of mission-driven, collaborative professionals who share a commitment to putting youth at the forefront, operating with a racial equity lens, building reciprocal relationships, supporting community-driven change, and continuing to learn, adapt, and improve.
For more information on NMEF, please visit www.nmefoundation.org.
The Senior Accountant Opportunity
Working closely alongside and reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Senior Accountant will lead on and contribute to a wide variety of accounting, finance, and human resources activities. As part of a small team, the Senior Accountant plays an essential role in delivering on the organization’s financial management and administrative needs and supports ongoing efforts to continually improve NMEF’s controls, processes, and systems. The Senior Accountant will be a critical partner to NMEF leadership, staff, and grantees, with responsibility for building trusting and collaborative relationships inside and outside the organization.
This role offers the opportunity for a well-rounded and collaborative finance and accounting professional to join a team that is committed to advancing racial equity within education. With success in the role, the Senior Accountant will have the opportunity to grow their leadership within the finance and administration functions, making this an excellent career-building opportunity for a mission-driven individual.
Finance and Accounting
- Consult with the Vice President for Finance and Administration on design and development of NMEF’s accounting principles, practices, policies, and controls in compliance with GAAP and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Lead or support all aspects of NMEF’s accounting and financial management:
- Support the preparation and evaluation of budgets and other financial operating reports.
- Create and compile financial statements and reports within deadlines.
- Monitor and assist in preparation and recording of general ledger transactions.
- Manage and maintain accounts payable, cash management, banking and investment relationships, and payroll, including pension payments and filings.
- Provide technical support and leadership in the preparation of financial analyses.
- Participate in interim and year-end audits by compiling various schedules requested by the audit team.
- Support projects such as the identification and implementation of new software programs for finance and administration.
- Provide accounting advice and expertise to grantee organizations through NMEF’s Technical Assistance program as requested.
Administration and Human Resources
- Effectively manage the administrative aspects of human resources: lead NMEF’s job posting process and new hire enrollment and paperwork; and coordinate new hire orientation.
- Ensure that the financial aspects of human resources management are processed seamlessly: manage the weekly payroll data; and facilitate tuition reimbursement requests.
As the incoming Senior Accountant, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You bring at least 3 years of experience in accounting and finance roles, with a solid background in financial analysis and the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and a broad exposure to working across all aspects of accounting and finance. A CPA or CMA is considered a plus.
- You have excellent analytical and reconciliation skills, the ability to prepare financial statements with a high level of accuracy, and the ability to model and calculate financial forecasts as required.
- You are motivated by NMEF’s mission to advance racial equity in public education and want to be part of a team that is committed to growth and learning related to racial equity.
- You demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a high level of customer service in providing effective, timely support for internal and external stakeholders.
- You possess strong organizational skills, with the ability to drive your work towards results and deadlines, taking initiative and working effectively with minimal direction.
- You are collaborative and demonstrate a willingness to contribute as a team member within a small organization.
- You have a working knowledge of MS Office and accounting software programs.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Nellie Mae Education Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Michael Carey, Vice President for Finance and Administration, here.
Nellie Mae Education Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.