About RDA Consulting
For more than 35 years, RDA has provided consultation to public, private, and social sector organizations working across the public safety net system to address persistent social, health, and economic problems. Our services include research, assessment, planning, grant writing, organizational development, training and coaching, facilitation, data system development, and evaluation. We believe in working collaboratively with one another and with our clients and, as lifelong learners, we believe that people and organizations can grow and change.
Our Mission and Values
RDA’s mission is to work toward a just and equitable society by partnering with diverse stakeholders in addressing barriers to individual, organizational, and community well-being.
Our work is guided by the following core values:
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent, and accountable. We take responsibility for all our actions and outcomes.
- Collaboration: We believe partnership is the path to sustainable progress. We work to leverage collective expertise and experience to solve complex challenges.
- Curiosity: We are learners, thinkers, and innovators. We examine what we think we know and question what is and is not possible.
- Compassion: We approach our clients, communities, and one another with empathy and vulnerability. We strive to understand people’s experiences so we can thoughtfully respond to their needs.
- Equity: We recognize the inherent inequities in our society. We commit to identifying barriers that prevent individuals and communities from thriving.
- Justice: We believe social ecosystems can be just. We partner with our clients and their communities in removing systemic barriers to reaching their own goals.
For over three decades, RDA has partnered with diverse stakeholders to improve the well-being of individuals, organizations, and communities. We are proud to serve the public, private, and social sectors spanning the Western United States with ongoing expansion to the East. Our impact areas include:
- Criminal and Juvenile Justice
- Violence Prevention and Public Safety
- Healthcare, Public Health, and Behavioral Health
- Housing and Homelessness
- Child and Family Welfare
- K-12 Education and Youth Development
- Adult Education Workforce Development
For more information on RDA Consulting, please visit www.rdaconsulting.com.
RDA’s next Consulting Director, Justice (“Director) will join a growing consulting firm that combines a long history of justice system reform with a cross-system perspective that has resulted in measurable impact and systems change over the firm’s 35-year history. This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate leader in justice reform to work hand-in-glove with our clients towards deinstitutionalization and creating alternatives to justice systems that disproportionately harm low-income people and people of color.
A member of the RDA Executive Team, the Director will lead and sustain a consulting services portfolio that fosters partnerships to create a more fair and equitable justice system. This individual will develop, retain, and grow a cohesive team that currently consists of nine dedicated professionals, coordinate the execution and financial management of all projects within the Justice Practice portfolio, and ensure client satisfaction. The Director will lead strategies for new revenue and increase existing revenue streams within the Justice services domain. This individual will develop and deepen the network of prospective clients and partners, including specialists, local and state government agencies, and universities, to promote RDA’s capacity to strengthen public systems.
At this pivotal moment in the march towards true justice system reform, this position offers an influential leader the chance to draw on their keen understanding of the justice landscape to help our clients overcome barriers to systems change. This is a unique opportunity for an innovative thought-leader in the field to engage in cross-systems work and partnership building to move the needle on justice system reform.
Essential Job Functions
- Carry a vision for system improvement and transformation in your Practice area
- Actively participate as a member of the Executive Team and proactively identify issues appropriate for Executive Team consideration or discussion
- Demonstrate an understanding of the organization as a whole; identify and advocate for initiatives and processes that will facilitate the organization achieving its strategic priorities
- Direct collaborative efforts to deepen cross-system understanding and innovation with other Practices and Business Development
- Actively contribute to the development of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture wherein all staff feel valued and safe exercising curiosity and delivering and receiving feedback
Business Development & Marketing
- Generate business for RDA by successfully engaging new and existing clients and developing responsive proposals to competitive project opportunities
- Work closely with the Business Development team to design strategic marketing efforts, including dissemination of RDA work products
- Act as a thought-leader on justice system issues, related local, state, and federal policy, and the political landscape, including presenting at and attending conferences and professional network events; and producing blog and other marketing content
Practice Management & Delivery
- Design and implement strategy, goals, and metrics for the Justice Practice team and drive the team’s success
- Manage and develop Justice Practice Team staff, including mentoring, coaching, performance management, and talent review
- Lead the Justice Practice Team in developing the services portfolio, defining and maintaining delivery standards, and report on the performance of the Practice portfolio
- Identify and develop key skills, capabilities, and partnerships required to support a best-practice and innovation-driven consulting practice
- Define candidate profiles as needed to support the Justice Practice and work closely with Talent Acquisition to make appropriate hires
- Maintain client relations and conduct periodic client feedback meetings and project reviews
- Manage and allocate budget and resources aligned with Justice Practice objectives
The Director will have 7+ years of experience in justice systems, 4+ years of people management experience, and 2+ years managing a portfolio of concurrent engagements on budget and to client satisfaction. In addition, the preferred candidate will have a graduate degree in criminal/juvenile justice or related fields of social science, or commensurate experience.
The Director will have fluency in leading teams conducting mixed-methods community research, evaluation, and strategic planning. This individual will display a facility with data and experience with research and evaluation specific to justice, including quantitative and qualitative analyses. In addition, this leader will have experience facilitating large and highly-political public meetings with diverse stakeholder groups, and will be willing to travel to these events.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have the following professional competencies and personal qualities, skills and characteristics:
Expertise and Knowledge of Justice System
The Director will possess deep knowledge and expertise regarding the justice system in California and across the nation. They will understand the systemic inequities inherent in it, and will be committed to deinstitutionalization and alternatives to incarceration. A credible leader in the field, this individual will believe in the possibility for reform and have a clear vision for a justice system that is more equitable. Comfortable balancing the theoretical with the practical, the Director will understand how to leverage resources from systems and work within them to effect change.
The Director will be a strategic thinker with both the vision and tactical expertise to build and execute a plan for the direction and growth of RDA’s Justice Practice, utilizing their deep experience with evaluation, planning, public speaking, facilitation, and research. A proactive leader who inspires both staff and clients, the Director will look at the Justice Practice’s portfolio and identify opportunities to expand its reach and impact. A key member of the Executive Team, this individual will also collaborate to develop a roadmap for cross-practice work at RDA.
Business Development and Client Management
The Director will have strong interpersonal skills and will be able to build trust with RDA’s current clients. Well-networked, this individual will be eager to reach out to their own contacts to benefit existing clients and expand RDA’s reach. Understanding the challenges of all stakeholders in the justice field as a consultant, the Director will be able to meet clients where they are, generate buy-in from justice stakeholders, and lead client leadership and their stakeholders through complex decision-making processes. This leader will possess a deep understanding of consulting as well as the principles of project management and profitability.
Business and Operational Expertise
This leader will understand and implement best-in-class business management practices within a consulting/client advisory context, ensuring that overall day-to-day operations are streamlined and aligned with business unit goals. The Director will demonstrate an understanding of the drivers that will influence the Justice Consulting Practice and RDA’s success, and will ensure that sound financial management practices and accountability are maintained. This individual will excel at building the infrastructure and implementing the standardized systems, policies, and procedures required to execute a strategic vision for RDA’s Justice Practice.
An effective, efficient, and positive team leader, the Director will build trust with staff and set key performance indicators and goals. Valuing ongoing learning and development, this individual will be outcomes driven and will demonstrate the ability to build, nurture, and retain a strong team of professionals with diverse backgrounds while creating a culture of accountability. The Director will be approachable, communicate with care, and practice active listening in order to create an inclusive and positive work environment where staff feel valued.
Passion for the Mission
The Director will possess a passion for improving public systems and will display cultural humility in leading a diverse staff and engaging with clients and their stakeholders. This inclusive leader will embody RDA’s values of integrity, collaboration, curiosity, compassion, equity, and justice. The Director will have the ability to carry out responsibilities with a growth mindset, incorporating feedback and lessons learned for continuous improvement. This individual will also display the highest degree of integrity in the role and will serve as a model for all staff.
Compensation & Benefits
The starting annual base salary for this role is $115,000 commensurate with experience.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Michelle Bonoan and Christy Farrell are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this page or email [email protected]. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
RDA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equitable and inclusionary hiring practices. We strongly encourage applicants to apply from all cultural backgrounds, religions, sexual orientations, genders, and ages.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.