About RAW Art Works
Raw Art Works (RAW) was founded in 1988 with a group of passionate art therapists who shared the belief that good things happen when kids feel they are a vital part of a creative community that truly cares. Youth at RAW are welcomed into a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment the moment they step through the door. Through the use of the arts, youth are given the tools to process what is really going on in their lives, giving them the opportunity to create in unexpected ways, and envision new possibilities for their future. Many of the youth rely on the trusted relationships they build at RAW to help navigate the complexities of their lives.
RAW’s mission is to ignite the desire to create and confidence to succeed in underserved youth. As a youth development arts organization rooted in art therapy, over 400 youth, ages 8-19, participate in after-school and summer visual and expressive arts groups, digital film school classes, leadership development opportunities, and college and career access programming. When youth attend programming at RAW they are seen and heard through a refined blend of art and therapy. An orientation to trauma-informed care provides a grounding to the work with many of RAW’s youth who have experienced undue stress in particularly challenging environments.
RAW creates endless opportunities for youth to build meaningful relationships with their peers and RAW staff. They are given a safe environment to express themselves to a community that feels like home and they come to recognize the strengths within themselves. The skills learned at RAW support youth as they transition into adulthood, and the passion and purpose they find here are the turning point in a making change in their lives and communities.
For more information on RAW Art Works, please read more here.
The Director of Operations (Director) will play a pivotal role on the RAW leadership team and will be responsible for the long-term visioning and day-to-day operational management of a dynamic organization. They will be responsible for the financial and administrative oversite, including human resources support, project management, budget forecasting, technology, facilities and strategic planning. Reporting into the Executive Director, they will be a valued thought partner and culture carrier. With the ability to deal with highly confidential information, the Director will have a visible role within RAW and will interact with the different functional areas within the organization.
With a commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and access, the Director will embrace the importance of these initiatives throughout the organization. Resourceful and collaborative, the Director will be people oriented and bring a growth mindset with an eye on how RAW can continue to have a greater impact.
The Director of Operations of RAW will possess some, if not all of the following attributes professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Supervise and work closely with Office Manager to ensure smooth management of RAW’s facilities, vehicles, technology systems and capital purchases and updates
- Functional expertise in at least one operational area (Finance, HR, etc.) with significant exposure to other functional areas
- Demonstrated experience or exposure to streamlining workflows, process management, and/or continuous improvement
- Support the organization in all of their hiring systems, processes and policy development
- Works closely with an external HR firm on benefits administration and oversight of HR policies
Strategic Organizational Leadership
- Manage implementation and execution of the strategic plan, including regular review, adjustment of plan and reporting
- Support development of Board meeting agendas, annual schedule and other strategic items, as needed, with a particular focus on financial reporting and strategic planning
- Oversee the strategic plan development process, including RAW staff and board as needed
Nonprofit Business Acumen
- Responsible for tracking systems of actual expenses throughout the year in partnership with external accountants for a $2M+ and growing budget
- Comfortable preparing budget reports for ED and senior staff and budget/financial data for grant proposals and reports
- Proven track record in accurate expense forecasting and preparation of budget reports
- Oversee large, cross-functional, organization-wide projects or initiatives, will bring together important constituents and help drive decisions
- Research, perform benchmarking, analyze data, and make recommendations
- Propose the creation of new systems and processes to streamline operations
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Strong commitment to RAW’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan, and to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- Several years of experience in administrative operations including administrative best practices, budget management, and human resources
- Technology literacy, including database management and financial reporting systems
- Solutions-focused and results oriented with an ability to solve problems independently and in teams
- High level of emotional intelligence (self-awareness, empathy, and social skills)
- Strategic thinker with the ability to take a long-term, thoughtful approach to achieving organizational goals
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience
Compensation & Benefits
While RAW is targeting a salary range of $85,000 – $100,000, commensurate on the candidate’s skills and experiences, we are open to feedback from the market and would welcome the ability to connect with potential candidates who may be outside of the compensation band. RAW is committed to equity in pay practices.
RAW provides a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, health care contribution, short- and long-term disability coverage, and term life insurance.
RAW Art Works has engaged Koya Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Alicia Salerno here.
Raw Art Works is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes any qualified applicant and values diversity of all kinds.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.