Chicago, IL | January 24, 2020
About the Pat Tillman Foundation
Pat Tillman Foundation (PTF) unites and empowers remarkable military veterans and spouses as the next generation of public and private sector leaders committed to service beyond self. Inspired by Pat Tillman, who proudly put his NFL career with the Arizona Cardinals on hold to serve his country, family and friends established the Pat Tillman Foundation following Pat’s death in April 2004 while serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment in Afghanistan. Over the last 15 years, the Pat Tillman Foundation has supported 635 Tillman Scholars as they’ve furthered their education and increased their professional impact in the world.
For more information on the Pat Tillman Foundation, please visit www.pattillmanfoundation.org.
PTF seeks an ambitious and dynamic Director of Development to lead national development efforts in support of our mission and our growing Tillman Scholar community. Reporting to the CEO and a member of the five-person Executive Team, the Director of Development will have responsibility for creating and executing a development strategy designed to take the organization to its next level. With broad fundraising experience and an interest in earned revenue models, this is an exciting opportunity for a creative and strategic thinker to champion the mission of PTF across the country. This is a full-time position located in Chicago, Illinois managing a team of three. Some travel is required.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
Driven and Adaptable
You want to leverage the skills you’ve built over your career, whether in fundraising or elsewhere, that demonstrate exceptional leadership ability and effective management.
Inspired and Inspirational
You are moved by the selfless sacrifice of our country’s veterans and their families, even if you didn’t serve personally. You love working with people and know how to excite them about the opportunities to fund the Pat Tillman Foundation’s work. You love brainstorming to come up with big, inspiring ideas.
You know how to deliver on big, inspiring ideas. You can communicate clearly and concisely. You make compelling asks and know how to prospect as well as how to close funding opportunities. You understand the power that small, daily, consistent actions have to create trust and build lasting relationships.
You have deep knowledge of both the art and science of fundraising and have demonstrated an ability to execute on a plan that include corporate, major and individual gifts. You have a strong facility with fundraising software and a broad understanding of donor acquisition and digital giving.
Results- and Data-Driven
You are driven by results and informed by data. You use data to make decisions and translate strategy into action.
You are a systems thinker who can manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately to produce high-quality results quickly and on time. You create clear and logical systems and processes to support your work and that of your team.
You love having the opportunity to work across diverse constituents, representing a wide range of donors and members of the community who support veterans and leadership development efforts broadly.
You care about making a difference in the world and want to support veterans and their families working at an impactful level across sectors including health, law, business, policy, academia, government, and defense. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee development activities for $5 million, non-grantmaking foundation to meet or exceed revenue targets across corporate, major, and individual giving.
- Manage a portfolio of individual and corporate donors and lead all stages of engagement including: identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Deliver, own, and improve upon a high-quality donor experience.
- Prepare financial progress reports and budgets for the CEO and Director of Operations.
- Cultivate new relationships and manage existing relationships around key PTF events, some of which you’ll be responsible for driving: Tillman Honors, Pat Tillman Leadership Summit, Pat’s Run, Pints for Pat, Regional Summits, and Team Tillman.
- Leverage data in PTF infrastructure and across teams to drive impact.
- Create a development strategy that supports PTF’s three year strategy, unifying efforts across major gifts, online giving, and partnerships with the goal of doubling current revenue.
- Create and support a community of stakeholders who are more than financially invested.
- Develop our digital giving strategy, working with our marketing team to create sophisticated digital strategies and campaigns.
- Develop and execute a funding model that relies more heavily on earned income.
- Externally represent a nonprofit deeply rooted in values, committed to impact, and inspired by the selfless service of Pat Tillman, service members, veterans, and spouses.
- Lead a development team based in Chicago and elsewhere.
- Engage and leverage Board of Directors and Tillman Scholar community in fundraising.
- Lead and support the Board of Directors’ fundraising committee.
- Partner with Executive Team of CEO, and Directors of Program, Brand & Communication, Development, and Operations to guide long term strategy.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Erin Reedy and Alicia Salerno are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Pat Tillman Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.