The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. The children and grandchildren of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. We believe the best ideas can come from anywhere, so we stay open to new thinking from all over. And we partner with those who are closest to the problem because they’re usually closest to the solution.
We work in three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta.
Headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, with offices in Washington, D.C., Jersey City, New Jersey and Denver, Colorado, approximately 110 staff conducts the day-to-day operations of the foundation.
For more information on The Walton Family Foundation please visit www.waltonfamilyfoundation.org.
The Walton Family Foundation seeks a program officer of entrepreneurial development to join the Home Region Program team. This is a full-time position located in be located in the foundation’s Bentonville, Arkansas location. The program officer will be a critical member of a small, entrepreneurial team under the supervision of the Walton Family Foundation’s Home Region Program Director, Karen Minkel. Key responsibilities:
Relationship-building and Grantmaking
- Identify potential new partners, to include the engagement of other funding partners in the Northwest Arkansas region
- Transparently manage relationships with current and potential grantees
- Seek and perform due diligence on proposals aligned with the Home Region Program’s strategies, particularly in the areas of economic development and entrepreneurship
- Shepherd proposals through the foundation’s approval process
- Track grantee progress toward objectives
- Assist grantees in developing and implementing monitoring, maintenance and funding strategies that lead to the achievement of strategic goals
Program Strategy and Implementation
- Participate in the shaping of an economic development strategy that supports an entrepreneurial ecosystem in Northwest Arkansas; engage in the articulation and advancement of the Home Region Program’s strategic plan
- Collaborate with the foundation’s Strategy, Learning and Evaluation Department to implement a coordinated monitoring program
- Partner with the foundation’s communications team in the ongoing development and execution of a targeted strategic communications plan to support the Home Region Program work
The Program Officer must possess the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A Bachelor’s degree; relevant master’s degree or higher preferred
- At least 7 years professional work experience, with experience partnering with both internal and external customers in one of the following fields: entrepreneurship; high impact social programming; public-private partnerships; regional economic development initiatives, etc.; experience in a nonprofit organization preferred
- An ambassador with the ability to give and receive feedback graciously
- An effective relationship-builder who leverages networks to achieve results
- Self-directed and a decisive problem solver who can also be flexible
- A superior communicator who treats everyone with respect
- Analytical and discerning, with intellectual agility and the ability to understand emerging issues that are directly relevant to programmatic funding areas
- Unquestionably ethical and discreet, with respect for all
- An effective team member who is also able to act independently
- Willing to make a passionate commitment to the goals of the Walton Family Foundation
- Experience in grant development and management and a deep knowledge of start-up communities highly desired
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Walton Family Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.