An established donor in Boston seeks a Program Director to assist in the creation of a new foundation that will act as the vehicle through which continued but enhanced giving will occur. With a track record established in sustainable agriculture, education, and arts and culture, among other areas, the Founder is interested in a Program Director to provide strategic and operational oversight to all program areas and grant-making activities.
Working closely with the Founder, the Program Director will design, implement, and evaluate the program-specific strategies and tactical programs to carry out the goals of the Foundation. In addition to identifying and vetting prospective organizations and cultivating strong relationships, the Program Director will represent the donor externally when participating in public relations/philanthropic activities, and assist in advising the donor about the level, timing, and allocation of donations.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience managing teams to execute complex projects, whether in the world of business or nonprofits. S/he will be seeking an entrepreneurial environment and thrive in this start-up atmosphere.
Reporting to the Founder, the Program Director will inform and craft the strategic direction of the Foundation, helping to set the necessary goals, strategies, and rationales for philanthropic programs based on the donor’s vision. Moreover, they will regularly assess strategies and goals in light of changing external conditions and grant results, and ensure that the appropriate processes, systems, and approaches are in place.
Able to manage several projects simultaneously, the successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, strategic thinker with a proven track record managing philanthropic programs from strategy development to implementation and impact assessment. S/he will be a proactive, experienced relationship builder who thrives in a collegial team, is deeply passionate about effective grant-making, and can operate with the highest levels of discretion and professionalism. An unwavering commitment to results and the ability to communicate in a direct, engaging, and clear manner is critical.
In collaboration with the Founder, the Program Director will:
- Participate as a thought partner in program related decisions for the Foundation;
- Play a key role in strategic planning and the implementation of programs and grant-making activity;
- Attend Board meetings, lead key conversations and facilitate Board engagement; advise the Trustees on the risks and opportunities in their consideration of a grant or philanthropic partnership;
- Ensure and foster teamwork: Establish friendly and professional relationships both internally and externally. Act as a mentor and constant positive influence in the office;
- Serve as a gatekeeper to field calls, requests to meet with the trustees, and provide gracious “no’s” when necessary;
- Represent the trustees at meetings and events, interviews, and conferences;
- Cultivate strong relationships with community and civic leaders.
Program Leadership and Management
- Collaborate with the Founder to set annual and long-term program goals;
- Translate high-level strategic program plan into clear deliverables, activities, and priorities for the Foundation;
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with grantees. This will include reviewing relevant financial, management, and program data as appropriate to assess the overall financial health and stability of organizations;
- Manage a range of special initiatives which includes all aspects of project management, including developing and managing budgets, work plans, and communications to achieve project goals and objectives in collaboration with others in the office;
- Research and present options for special funding initiatives that reflect the Trustee’s interests.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Design and implement an evaluation process that captures learning and data for major program activities
- Distill and synthesize program data and learning to be shared with and understood by multiple audiences
- Review and periodically report on the progress of key grantees and initiatives. Conduct site visits and financial due diligence reviews where needed.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of the unique potential of family philanthropy and the distinct opportunities and challenges developing a philanthropic strategy presents to a family. S/he will support the Founder through the investment of additional knowledge, research, networks, or resources that shape both the strategy and choices for thoughtful giving.
The Program Director will be an innovative and mature professional with a proven track record of successful program & grant management. With a highly creative approach, s/he will possess broad knowledge of the most innovative funding strategies and will bring the entrepreneurial spirit required to establish a well-executed, highly efficient, scalable charitable program. S/he will shepherd the grant-making process from start to finish and understand how to work as a partner, with deferential guidance, to an engaged donor.
While no one person will embody all of the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Strong project management skills and five years experience managing major programs or initiatives. The ability to set priorities, support multiple projects, and see tasks through to completion is critical;
- A proven ability to prioritize, assess, and summarize the impact of philanthropic partnership opportunities.
- Possess the analytical and evaluative skills necessary to discern the benefits and challenges of potential philanthropic partners, paired with the required insight and acumen to make informed recommendations to the donor;
- Experience strengthening program performance through goal-setting and learning from evaluation;
- Ability to build relationships with the donor, family members, and current and potential grantees;
- Strong, independent work ethic;
- Experience working with high net worth individuals, illustrating the ability to work with complete discretion. Comfort working with highly confidential information;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a consultative and educationally-focused disposition;
- Collegial, team oriented working style. Willingness to share in both strategic thinking and administrative tasks. A problem solver who thinks proactively by anticipating needs and looking ahead at all times;
- Strong analytical lens; ability to identify themes and patterns, distill and clarify complexities from data and interviews. Comfortable making recommendations based on good judgment and available information;
- Mature and proactive attitude, with excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills;
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
*It is the expectation that the Program Director will be on-site, in office 5 days a week.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Koya Leadership Partners to been engaged to help in this hire. Nominations and applications will be held in the strictest confidence. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Please submit a compelling cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), salary history, and where you learned of the position to Trisha Sutrisno here.
The hiring organization is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.