Newburyport, MA | March 10, 2021
Join the Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry, one of the top ten largest Chambers in Massachusetts, with over 800 successful members employing over 18,000 employees!
The Chamber President is a civic leader in the Greater Newburyport community and leads the economic engine of the City while remaining deeply involved with City business and with the businesses of all companies and organizations in the City of Newburyport and surrounding areas. The role requires strategic capacity, political savvy, finesse, exceptional communication skills, deep business knowledge, a growth mindset, leadership skills, a strong commitment to accessibility and fairness, and a vision for the economic future of the Region. The essence of the role is a deep personal commitment to the economic and civic betterment of the Newburyport area and surrounding areas. The Chamber President must be able to effectively and successfully interact with key local, state and federal contacts.
Highlights of Responsibilities include:
- Community Leadership and Advocacy-Serving as a strong voice and advocate for the business community members of the region and providing leadership during speaking, lobbying and advocacy opportunities
- Vision Setting and Program Development- Establishing a tone, perspective and vision for the Chamber of Commerce and effectively communicating that tone and vision while working to establish programs and themes to support the business community
- Fiscal Oversight– Establishing the budget and leading the staff of the Chamber in managing the budget and creating activities to raise funds and expand the reach of the Chamber
- Staff Leadership– Managing and leading the Chamber staff of both regular and temporary employees, including involvement in hiring, termination, performance management and performance review
- Board of Directors Service– Serving as a voting member of the Board of Directors and working closely with Chair of the Board regarding strategic planning and ongoing operations
The ideal candidate possesses superior communication and public speaking skills; expert-level ability to network and create relationships; fiscal and budgeting skills; a strong personal sense of organization and time management; and deep knowledge of the Greater Newburyport Area (local area residents preferred). Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience required, Certified Chamber Executive (CCE) or Certified Association Executive (CAE) preferred, minimum of 7-10 years in a related field with community involvement or economic development components.
The Chamber offers competitive pay and benefits, including health insurance, paid time off and 401(k).
Note: This role is not a traditional “desk job” but, rather, is an extremely active role and requires extensive travel within the local community and frequent attendance at City meetings, Membership events and other local-area events on behalf of the Chamber. This role requires extensive local travel. Access to reliable personal transportation is required.
The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.