About Pennsylvania Voice
Pennsylvania Voice is a statewide network of more than 30 organizations committed to creating a fair and just Pennsylvania by making democracy more accessible, inclusive, and representative.
Pennsylvania Voice works with its partners to employ the principles of collective impact, unifying change agents from different sectors around common goals to strengthen democracy, build the capacity of partners with shared resources, and amplify the voices of communities of color.
A small team of experienced organizers/strategists drives Pennsylvania Voice. The team supports, facilitates, and builds relationships between state leaders representing more than 30 distinct organizations around four specific program areas:
- Civic engagement: Creating year-round integrated voter engagement campaigns to increase voting, voter registration, and participation in civic life among all Pennsylvanians, specifically with communities of color.
- Access to the ballot: Modernizing elections to make voting more convenient and fully accessible to all.
- Reflective Democracy: Restoring true representation to Pennsylvania’s democracy by ensuring a fair and accurate 2020 Census and subsequent redistricting process that is grounded in fair, equitable and community driven maps.
- Racial equity: Creating more opportunities to support the leadership development of people of color.
The work of Pennsylvania Voice is grounded in a shared commitment to racial and gender equity, and requires the ability to work collaboratively, in true partnership, to build meaningful consensus amongst partners.
For more information on Pennsylvania Voice please visit its website.
The Executive Director will advance the work of Pennsylvania Voice through the following responsibilities:
Organizational Development and Management
- Oversee all long-range organizational planning, project and program development, new campaign development, and strategic planning.
- Manage Pennsylvania Voice’s financial operations including developing annual budgets and monitoring expenditures and income during the year.
- Work to ensure a healthy, collaborative workplace and organizational culture that includes opportunities for staff’s professional development.
- Serve as the key liaison with the Board of Directors, managing and maintaining open communications and assisting in the support and continued development of the Board.
- Develop and lead the implementation of PA Voice’s annual fundraising strategy, ensuring a diversified funding base including foundations, individuals, and special events.
- Establish and maintain relationships with all current and potential donors through a diligent process that includes cultivation, solicitation, and acknowledgment.
- Ensure that resources are adequate to meet the annual budget.
Organizing, Advocacy, and Program Leadership and Convening
- Commitment to breaking down barriers to civic participation, restoring confidence in government, and bringing people of color – and their issues – to the center of public discourse.
- Ensure the successful operation of existing advocacy programs and the development of program expansion.
- Facilitate and support the implementation of strategic plans in collaboration with partners.
- Convene diverse communities and populations to build advocacy skills and leadership for the achievement of mutually defined goals.
Communications and Community Relations
- Develop and maintain strong, positive relationships with program partners and allies, including participation in statewide networks and the national State Voices network.
- Establish and maintain understanding of the political landscape to enable PA Voice and its partners to chart cohesive political strategies.
- Represent and promote PA Voice and its partners to key public officials, community members, press, and the public in order to ensure an accurate and positive public presence for Pennsylvania Voice, its partners and their missions.
The Executive Director will be a passionate leader with practical and substantive experience in community-based, grassroots movements and will have knowledge and expertise regarding the movements for economic, racial and social justice in Pennsylvania and beyond.
Ideal candidates will be familiar with Pennsylvania politics and policy-making, have knowledge of organizing and PA Voice’s partner organizations, and have meaningful relationships with local and regional leaders, or have the ability to develop that knowledge and those relationships within the first year in the position.
PA Voice strongly encourages people with lived experiences in the communities served by PA Voice to apply.
Specifically, you will bring the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics to the position of Executive Director:
Passion for the Mission: The Executive Director will have a true passion for supporting community-based groups and a personal and professional commitment to racial, social and economic justice. The Executive Director will have experience building consensus and working collaboratively with various partners, funders, government and elected officials, and community members to create systemic change.
Strategic Leadership and Organizational Management: A proven leader with an entrepreneurial spirit, the Executive Director will have experience in strategic planning, organizational development, budget, fiscal and team management, and the ability to build a Board of Directors and lead a self-governed and passionate staff. This leader will possess the management acumen, supervisory experience and financial skills needed to direct the operations of PA Voice, and to drive innovation and leverage new opportunities.
Relationship-Building and Fundraising: A natural and deliberate consensus-builder, the Executive Director will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships across staff, the Board of Directors, community partners, funders, donors, and government officials and agencies. Politically astute and with the integrity and persistence to drive process forward through collaboration and dedication, the Executive Director will be a colleague and resource to all partners and supporters.
Communications: The Executive Director will communicate effectively and with integrity to a broad group of stakeholders, including the community, staff, partner agencies, and funders. The Executive Director will be a leader known for honesty, strong diplomacy, and for being an engaged and active listener. This individual will build and enhance the work of PA Voice through strong partnerships.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link or email [email protected] or [email protected]. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Pennsylvania Voice values a diverse workforce and has an inclusive culture. Pennsylvania Voice encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. The Pennsylvania Voice hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.