New York, NY | November 18, 2019
About Overdeck Family Foundation
The Overdeck Family Foundation believes that unlocking every child’s potential is the key to a better future – for all of us. Founded in 2011 by entrepreneurs John and Laura Overdeck, the Foundation focuses exclusively on education, supporting research and organizations that seek to open doors for every child in the U.S. by measurably enhancing education both inside and outside the classroom. Using a data-driven and evidence-based approach, the Foundation’s investments enhance each stage of learning, from birth to graduation, and are grounded in five focus areas: early childhood; educators; schools; out-of-school STEM opportunities; and the use of data to improve policy and practice. The Foundation’s grantmaking is guided by a ROI approach, with data /research investments supporting R+D and new insights and programmatic investments following a venture philanthropy model. This year, the Foundation will distribute $35M in funding, and with growth of its assets forecasted, annual distributions will increase over the next 5 years.
The Foundation’s grantees have included leading organizations such as Parent Corps, Centering Healthcare Institute, ILabs, Springboard Collaborative, EdReports, Public Impact, Highlander Institute, New Schools Venture Fund, Khan Academy, FIRST Robotics, and many others. Please visit https://overdeck.org/grantmaking/grantee-listing/ to see a full grantee list.
For more information about the Foundation’s work, impact, and values please visit www.overdeck.org.
The Overdeck Family Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About The Program Director Opportunity
Reporting to the Vice President, the Program Director will be a key leader at the Foundation, instrumental in guiding the program team to increase the Foundation’s return on investment and influence. This is a new leadership position designed for a talented, growth-oriented individual with a highly analytical, quantitative, and strategic mindset. The Program Director will bring strong critical thinking and team management skills to advance the Foundation’s work and foster the growth of the program team. Leading towards direct impact and influence to achieve the Foundation’s mission and vision, the Program Director will oversee the program staff and each of the Foundation’s portfolios, managing teams and individuals to success while helping to see connections and increase learning across the portfolios and organization. In addition to internal leadership, the Program Director will have the opportunity to lead in representing the Foundation externally, creating partnerships, and keeping abreast of research, trends, and the education landscape to ensure that the Foundation is a leader in its work. As the Foundation grows its grantmaking and its impact, the Program Director will be a significant leader guiding the strategy and team toward investments that improve education for all children.
Specifically, the Program Director will:
- Define and Drive Program Strategy
- Set foundation-wide program goals that are clear, simple and aligned to organizational mission and vision
- Identify and position the Foundation’s work within the context of the comprehensive education and philanthropic landscapes
- Advise program teams around potential points of connection with broader education strategy, and across portfolios
- Lead High-Quality Portfolio and Grants Management
- Serve as a strategic, analytical leader for portfolio teams, ensuring strong, high-quality portfolio strategies and board recommendations
- Manage all investment portfolios to maximize ROI through field innovation, scale, influence and learning and guide effective tracking of grant goals and impact
- Partner with the Strategic Impact and Learning team to strengthen portfolio strategy and ROI, research agendas, grant recommendations, evaluations, and learning
- Identify and Cultivate Internal and External Partnerships
- Effectively lead and manage cross-functional initiatives and projects across the program portfolios and with the leadership team
- Communicate the Foundation’s unique, differentiated position within the broader education and philanthropic landscapes
- Participate in and contribute to key knowledge development conversations in the broader education field (e.g., attend conferences and meetings)
- Serve as a thought leader in the field and increase influence for the Foundation across portfolios
- Organize and coordinate meetings for Foundations and key experts
- Lead a Growing Team and Ensure the Resources Needed for Success
- Serve as a role model on organizational core values of rigor, collaboration, and learning and improvement
- Manage the Program Officers and portfolio teams
- Guide internal teams through growth and change; build, manage and develop teams to retain and grow top talent
- Build the Foundation’s brand externally and attract top talent to the organization
- Advocate for and secure appropriately needed resources to most effectively achieve outcomes
- Develop and manage grantmaking budget toward required annual distribution
Candidate Profile and Qualifications
As the incoming Program Director, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Highly refined critical thinking, quantitative analysis, and strategy development skills, with the ability to identify and support evidence-based and data-driven solutions in the education space
- Ideally 15+ years of professional experience in the private and social sector; social impact, social entrepreneurship, or venture philanthropy experience preferred
- Deep commitment to the mission and approach of the Foundation; ability to align the organization’s program team and strategy with its mission, combined with a growth mindset and the ability to recognize when changes are needed
- Proven skill in leading and inspiring a team towards ambitious goals, with the demonstrated ability to drive high-performance, grow talent, and encourage collaboration
- Demonstrated success as a relationship-builder, able to form and steward partnerships with internal and external stakeholders who bring a variety of perspectives and priorities and engage them in shared work
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with the ability to inspire others and target message and approach to different audiences
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization that prioritizes continuous learning, innovation, and data-driven decision-making, and a bias towards action
- Disposition toward seeing options and opportunities within ambiguity and taking calculated risks in order to challenge the status quo and achieve ambitious results; comfort in guiding a team to do the same
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree in education, economics, policy, business, or related field preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The Overdeck Family Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Benefits include:
- Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Onsite gym with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
Learn more about working at the Foundation here.
The Overdeck Family Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Anu Malipatil, here. All inquiries should be directed to Koya Leadership Partners.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.