Quincy, MA | April 8, 2021
About the Nellie Mae Education Foundation
The Nellie Mae Education Foundation (NMEF) champions efforts that prioritize community goals that challenge racial inequities and advance excellent, student-centered public education for all New England youth.
As the largest philanthropy in New England dedicated exclusively to education, we work to ensure that all youth have access to excellent and equitable public education that prepares them to succeed and thrive in community. Our new grantmaking strategy, announced in early 2020, centers on racial equity in public education and includes grant funds for:
- Supporting Organizations Led By People of Color;
- Advancing Community-School Partnerships;
- Amplifying Youth Voice and Leadership;
- Building Capacity and Grantee Learning;
- Strengthening Partnerships, Coalitions, and Movements; and
- Championing Student-Centered Learning
In addition to our grantmaking, we are committed to using our voice, privilege, and power to advance and advocate for racial equity in our education system and to identify, call out, and dismantle the systems and policies that have led to a disproportionate number of negative outcomes for people of color. In all of our work, we have committed to a race-equity-focused and community-centered approach. We commit to actively engaging with the communities we serve, and those most impacted, regarding solutions, investments, and resources for their community.
Headquartered in Quincy, MA, our team is comprised of mission-driven professionals who share a commitment to putting youth and communities at the forefront, operating with a racial equity lens, building collaborative relationships, supporting community-driven change, and continuing to learn, adapt, and improve.
For more information on NMEF, please visit www.nmefoundation.org.
The Staff Accountant Opportunity
Working closely alongside and reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Staff Accountant will lead on and contribute to a wide variety of accounting, finance, and human resources activities. As part of a small team, the Staff Accountant plays an essential role in delivering on the organization’s financial management and administrative needs and supports ongoing efforts to continually improve NMEF’s controls, processes, and systems. The Staff Accountant will be a critical partner to NMEF leadership, staff, and grantees, with responsibility for building trusting and collaborative relationships inside and outside the organization.
This role offers the opportunity for a well-rounded, detail-oriented, and collaborative finance and accounting professional to join a team that is committed to advancing racial equity within education.
Finance and Accounting
- Consult with the Vice President for Finance and Administration on design and development of NMEF’s accounting principles, practices, policies, and controls in compliance with GAAP and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Lead or support all aspects of NMEF’s accounting and financial management:
- Support the preparation and evaluation of budgets and other financial operating reports.
- Create and compile financial statements and reports within deadlines.
- Monitor and assist in preparation and recording of general ledger transactions.
- Manage and maintain accounts payable, cash management, banking and investment relationships, and payroll, including pension payments and filings.
- Provide technical support and leadership in the preparation of financial analyses.
- Participate in interim and year-end audits by compiling various schedules requested by the audit team.
- Support projects such as the implementation of new software programs for finance and administration.
Administration and Human Resources
- Effectively manage the administrative aspects of human resources.
- Ensure that the financial aspects of human resources management are processed seamlessly: manage the weekly payroll data; and facilitate tuition reimbursement requests.
As the incoming Staff Accountant, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You bring at least 3 years of experience in accounting and finance roles, with a solid background in financial analysis and the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and a broad exposure to working across all aspects of accounting and finance. A CPA or CMA is considered a plus.
- You have excellent analytical and reconciliation skills, the ability to prepare financial statements with a high level of accuracy, and the ability to model and calculate financial forecasts as required.
- You are well-versed in best practices in internal controls.
- You are motivated by NMEF’s mission to advance racial equity in public education and want to be part of a team that is committed to growth and learning related to racial equity.
- You demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a high level of customer service in providing effective, timely support for internal and external stakeholders.
- You possess strong organizational skills, with the ability to drive your work towards results and deadlines, taking initiative and working effectively with minimal direction.
- You are collaborative and demonstrate a willingness to contribute as a team member within a small organization.
- You have a working knowledge of MS Office and accounting software programs. Experience with accounting software implementation projects is considered a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $75,000 – $85,000, commensurate with experience, and NMEF provides a comprehensive benefits package.
Nellie Mae Education Foundation has engaged Koya Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Michael Carey, Vice President for Finance and Administration here.
Nellie Mae Education Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.