About Institute for Healthcare Improvement:
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is a leading innovator in health and health care improvement worldwide. For more than 25 years, we have partnered with an ever-growing community of visionaries, leaders and front-line practitioners around the globe to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. Together, we build the will for change, seek out innovative new models of care and spread proven best practices. IHI is dedicated to advancing four critical Aims: optimize health care delivery systems, drive the Triple Aim for populations, realize person and family-centered care, and build improvement capability.
For more information about Institute for Healthcare Improvement, please visit www.ihi.org.
As an integral member of the IHI New Business Team, the Business Manager will work closely with the regional lead and regional staff to support the evolution of the regional strategy, meet business goals, develop new business, including management of large, complex proposals and new product idea development, keep a portfolio of projects running smoothly in the region, and contribute to financial sustainability across the organization. This role will work as part of a high performing team, reporting directly to the New Business Director and establish relationships with Marketing, Finance and Operations.
The Business Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Understand IHI’s current and potential customers’ needs in the key regions where we work – Africa, Middle East and Asia, Europe and North America;
- Gather, synthesize, and disseminate market intelligence to inform strategy, program design, and positioning of IHI and increase likelihood of winning new business;
- Guide definition of IHI’s unique value proposition by customer segment;
- Help shape and communicate the evolving strategy for the region, in collaboration with the regional lead;
- Triage customer requests and facilitate consultative conversations with customers to better understand their needs/desires;
- Drive the design process for new contract and grant opportunities, including identifying, coordinating, and leading design/development teams, which could include content experts, marketing, executive leadership, results and evaluation, and operations;
- Develop compelling concept papers and proposals that clearly articulate the value of IHI’s offerings and meets the needs of customers and funding organizations;
- Lead negotiations with and collaborate with proposed partners and sub-grantees to ensure that they provide their required information as needed to support the proposal and that their inputs are compliant and competitive;
- Develop business models and detailed project budgets and derive pricing for customized offerings;
- Drive complex contracting and negotiation processes;
- Effect a smooth handoff from project development teams to the project teams that will execute new programs or projects.
- Create a reliable review system for assessing new business leads, prioritizing opportunities, and developing relationships with new customers;
- Follow and help team to advance all standard work for processing new contracts including kickoff and closeout procedures, standard proposal and contract language, budget assumptions, and other useful standard work;
- Assist with evaluating progress towards regional goals using balanced scorecard on a quarterly basis;
- Work with various teams (finance, portfolios, new business, resourcing team, etc.) to continuously improve and drive for more efficient processes and coordinated efforts in regional and program implementation.
The ideal candidate will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
Position Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong project and relationship management skills, including being detail-focused and managing towards aggressive timelines;
- Ability to think at a system level: process level thinking, ability to optimize system and resources, think ahead to next steps, and transform concepts into action;
- Capacity for business strategy, including an ability to shape strategy with an understanding of organizational capabilities and market needs and to optimize business models;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage proposal processes and team relationships to ensure effective collaboration by various contributors to the process, including contributors from multiple offices/units and at all levels of the organization;
- Demonstrated ability to handle the high stress environment of business development with grace and a sense of humor;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with partner organizations strongly preferred;
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines, delegate appropriately;
- Effective decision-making skills;
- Superb writing and verbal communication skills;
- Presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently and manage self towards goals, while being a genuine “team player”;
- Experience in organizing and managing and disseminating large and complex sets of business information;
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and work proactively;
- Strong negotiation and conflict management skills;
- Willingness to undertake tasks at all levels when necessary;
- Knowledge of improvement methodology and implementation;
- Ability to act with an entrepreneurial spirit in a fast paced environment;
- Must have knowledge of marketing, financial analysis and budgeting.
- Minimum of seven years of experience with proposal writing and developing new business or programs required;
- Minimum of two years of experience in managing the development of large and complex proposals to U.S. government funding agencies. Experience with international government funders is a bonus;
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in communication, marketing or business strongly preferred;
- Healthcare experience preferred;
- Experience in the Middle East or Asia Pacific is preferred;
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, political belief or activity, or status as a veteran.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.