Portland, OR or Washington, DC, or Remote | May 5, 2020
About Compassion & Choices
Compassion & Choices is the nation’s oldest, largest and most active nonprofit working to improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey. Since 1980, we have united over 450,000 supporters nationwide to become the preeminent leader of the end-of-life options movement.
Compassion & Choices is leading the way in transforming our “one-size-fits-all” healthcare system, which allows so much needless pain and suffering, into one that puts people in charge of their own end-of-life care. We envision a patient-driven system that honors an individual’s values, religious views and spiritual beliefs. We are working toward an America that respects everyone’s right to make their own end-of-life care decisions, in consultation with doctors and loved ones. We advocate for the full range of options to ensure everyone can die in peace and with dignity.
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, Compassion & Choices improves care, expands options and empowers everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
For more information on Compassion & Choices, please visit its website.
The National Director, Digital Strategies oversees the vision, strategy, development and ongoing evolution of website and digital channels, products and services to increase brand image and drive deeper donor insights, acquisition, retention and growth.
They will oversee operations in the rapidly changing digital sectors like mobile applications and digital fundraising, as well as web-based information management and marketing. They will lead a digital team and vendors dedicated to sharing best practices, testing and the latest technology; integrating and pivoting quickly to new digital processes, tools and approaches and increasing training to drive the adoption of existing tools and platforms.
The National Director, Digital Strategies will also be responsible for enhancing C&C’s digital infrastructure to support strategic objectives in support of engagement and mobilization, advocacy, fundraising and seamlessly integrating digital marketing into each platform across the organization.
The National Director, Digital Strategies directly supervises a team of seven experts in digital communications, web writing, design and development; email marketing for advocacy and fundraising; search engine optimization; and online advertising for both acquisition and advocacy. The National Director, Digital Strategies reports to the Chief Marketing Officer and works in close collaboration with the National Director of Marketing and Communications and other departments.
The core responsibilities of the National Director, Digital Strategies include, but are not limited to, the following:
Departmental and Team Leadership
- Provide leadership and management for the digital staff, including coaching, development, support, work prioritization, performance management, morale, retention and recruiting of top talent.
- Empower team members and guide career path through monitoring and evaluation of performance.
- Collaborate closely with the communications team to ensure consistency of content across print and online channels.
- Oversee the design and conduct of training sessions for internal and external users as needed.
- Develop and manage department budgets and metrics.
- Serve as a liaison to the management team that is responsible for planning, integrating and prioritizing work across the organization, sharing updates and representing digital communications strategies.
- Serve as an internal champion for digital strategies across the organization, articulating a vision and plan of action for digital work.
- Provide input into organizational policies.
- Lead new digital initiatives.
- Develop contracts and manage the day-to-day work of outside vendors and consultants, as needed.
- Demonstrate commitment to and active support of C&C’s Diversity & Inclusion program.
Strategic and Technical Expertise
- Serve as the top digital communications expert in the organization, providing leadership, vision and direction for web-based and digital activities that cross all C&C business lines:
- web design and development;
- campaign advocacy, marketing, advertising and online community building;
- digital fundraising (acquisition, email and advertising); and
- social media (Facebook, Twitter).
- Connect digital investments to organizational long-term objectives to achieve positive digital transformation.
- Oversee Compassionandchoices.org:
- Lead the requirements, functionality, design, code and modifications for the site, from layout to function and according to approved requirements.
- Oversee the day-to-day change management activities on CompassionAndChoices.org, internal databases and sites and all social media platforms.
- Ensure best practices in mobile first website design, including user experience, instructional design, content strategy and information architecture.
- Oversee quality control and quality assurance, Section 508 compliance, and other website code and design standards, including cross-browser compatibility.
- Analyze and report program performance; provide recommendations and results for improvement or existing and implementation of new digital marketing programs.
- Ensure effective plans and processes for posting new content in the appropriate channels (e.g. website, social media channels and intranet) and strategies for externally marketing content.
- Ensure communications products are always respectful, culturally competent and inclusive.
- Develop, manage and direct Search Engine Optimization for the organization’s web properties to achieve top rankings for key search terms.
- Effectively use Google Analytics and other monitoring applications to provide performance metrics about web usage and management reporting.
- Lead the integration of digital platforms, web and social media channels, and coordinate the building of new platforms as needed.
- Coordinate and monitor marketing funnel activities that involve domain management, design, digital marketing programs such as paid search, organic optimization (SEO), content/blog implementation and reference links.
Digital Fundraising & Engagement
- Lead online fundraising, in collaboration with the development department, including the growth, cultivation and retention of C&C’s online supporter base.
- Develop, implement, manage and analyze new and alternative social media strategies and use creative, cutting-edge practices to increase visibility and traffic.
- Use analytics to inform decision-making regarding messaging, topics and content to drive fundraising as well as the balance between fundraising and advocacy asks in emails and social media.
- Raise the visibility of C&C online through marketing efforts that position the organization as the go-to end-of-life choices advocacy organization.
- Oversee the development of digital advocacy campaigns that drive our supporters to take action to influence elected officials, health systems, volunteerism and personal advocacy that results in social change.
- Assess and propose new website, platform and digital marketing strategies, including costs and timelines in an agile environment.
- Lead the development of campaign content and digital marketing strategies, driving deeper donor insights, acquisition, retention and exponential growth.
- Lead the development of clear performance targets across all campaigns and establish clear value reporting for C&C stakeholders, including providing leadership on data analysis and business intelligence strategy designed to demonstrate tangible value in terms of donor growth and retention.
- Conduct competitive research/analysis to determine new areas of expansion.
- Monitor other advocacy organizations and competitors and continually recommend and implement improvements to ensure best-of-breed programs and services.
Must be energized by the idea of working at an organization with the following values:
- Compassionate in Compassion & Choice’s conviction that dying patients should be free of unwanted treatment, suffering or outside interference.
- Respectful of the autonomy of individuals to decide what end-of-life options are best for them and their family.
- Courageous in Compassion & Choice’s willingness to confront the toughest end-of-life health challenges, disrupt the broken status quo and protect an individual’s right to self-determination.
- Credible in all of Compassion & Choice’s education, advocacy and partnerships – C&C’s efforts are grounded in objective research and demonstrable factors.
- Resilient in Compassion & Choice’s capacity to respond to opportunities and threats in the movement so that C&C can achieve their vision as quickly as possible.
The ideal candidate will also have the following qualifications, skills and characteristics:
- 10+ years of experience or equivalent combination of experience and education in leading teams around web design and development, digital strategy, engagement and managing change management processes.
- 5+ years of management experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Proven track record implementing best practices and proven processes around the design, development and maintenance of websites and social media channels
- Track record of innovation and creativity with launching new digital marketing initiatives, substantially improving strategy, (SEO, SEM, content and website analytics) and a commensurate measurable increase in new acquisition.
- Deep understanding of the digital environment and industry trends and best practices, including website best practices and evolving tools and platforms used to improve online presence.
- Regular exposure to business stakeholders and executive leadership, as well as the authority and scope to apply expertise to digital challenges.
- A history of driving digital strategies that engage audiences, increase acquisition, and drive donations including proven experience growing a program and raising at least a half a million dollars online.
- Strong ability to create, oversee and implement processes for managing changes to the website from across a diverse portfolio of programs and organizational leaders.
- Sound project management principles that include establishing goals and performance measurements, developing budget and plans, securing buy-in, successfully integrating initiatives across an organization, and meeting timelines.
- Effective decision-making skills and processes, including the ability to authentically seek input from others and be decisive.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, especially around change management processes and building understanding, excitement and buy-in for digital strategies with staff and volunteers.
- Resilient and flexible, with the ability to continually experiment, learn and revise strategies.
- Emotionally intelligent, with the ability to motivate teams, ask for and receive feedback and foster a positive team culture.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in related program (e.g.: Technology, Marketing, Communications, Political Science, Journalism) or equivalent work experience or combination of formal and informal education.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Shelby Woods are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link here or email email@example.com. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Compassion & Choices is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.