Washington, DC | March 3, 2020
About Muslim Advocates
Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power, and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. Muslim Advocates seeks a creative, strategic, and experienced litigator to join their dynamic and growing team as Legal Director. The position will be based in their Washington, DC office.
Muslim Advocates utilizes legal advocacy, policy engagement and civic education to protect and defend the rights of American Muslims and other vulnerable populations. Their focus includes challenging discriminatory laws and policies, holding hate groups accountable, and ensuring that Americans can go about their everyday lives free from hate and discrimination. Muslim Advocates also continues to serve as a legal resource for educating American Muslims about the law and their rights and promoting their full and meaningful participation in American public life.
For more information on Muslim Advocates please visit its website.
The Legal Director will play a leadership role in developing legal advocacy strategies and supporting the legal team in pursuit of the mission and priorities of Muslim Advocates.
Role and Responsibilities
- Thought leader on legal and advocacy strategies to protect the rights of American Muslims and other vulnerable communities.
- Effectively builds and maintains a high-impact litigation docket that achieves the goals of Muslim Advocates.
- Supervises, trains, and supports the development of the legal team (attorneys, fellows, assistants, interns) through all phases of litigation, including community education and outreach, identifying clients, case development, drafting pleadings and briefs, engaging in all aspects of discovery, and oral arguments on pretrial and appellate matters.
- Build, manage, and maintain relationships with clients, affected communities, law firms, law schools/legal clinics, allied legal groups, and other key stakeholders to advance legal advocacy work.
- Speak and represent Muslim Advocates in the media and at public events and meetings with key stakeholders.
In short, Muslim Advocates is seeking candidates who are thoughtful and skilled litigators, detail-oriented, problem-solvers; candidates must also be aligned with the urgent mission of Muslim Advocates of fighting for freedom, justice, and equality for all.
To be successful in this position, the candidate will excel in the following areas:
- Solid track record of litigation experience, including developing cases, federal appellate and trial/pretrial experience, and zealous advocacy with meaningful results.
- Experience managing staff, including supporting development of attorneys and other legal professionals and promoting collaboration within and across teams, to meet impactful goals and objectives.
- Commitment to the Muslim Advocates mission and to civil rights challenges facing the diversity of American Muslim communities.
- Relationship-oriented (to build relationships with clients and key external stakeholders).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Can set a vision and goals and strategies to meet that vision.
- Brings energy, creativity, initiative, and entrepreneurial temperament to build a growing team and body of work.
In addition, candidates should have a J.D. from an accredited university and 8+ years of professional experience is preferred (though not required). Candidates should be admitted in good standing to the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia. Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English (other languages are a plus). Candidates should be willing and able to travel as the demands of the position would require.
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Muslim Advocates is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, individuals from diverse faith (or no faith) backgrounds, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Muslim Advocates is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.