About the Organization:
The Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA) is the state’s leading voice for public health. As a statewide membership organization, we engage communities in advocacy to protect and improve the health of all the Commonwealth’s residents. MPHA develops local leaders, supports local policy change and engages a network of activists across the state to take action for healthy communities – the focus is on preventing disease and injury and promoting health equity. MPHA uses an effective combination of advocacy, public education, community organizing, policy development, and coalition leadership to protect and strengthen state and local public health infrastructure and address major public health challenges. MPHA, based in Boston, was founded in 1879 and is a leading affiliate of the American Public Health Association.
MPHA has led efforts such as the School Nutrition bill, helped found the Massachusetts Food Policy Alliance as well as pass the MA Food Policy Council bill, led the effort to create the first in the nation Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund that connects community health to clinical care. In addition, MPHA has led successful advocacy to create the Massachusetts Food Trust Program and to advocate for funding. MPHA also prioritizes preventing cuts to the Department of Public Health’s budget and is a leader in developing strategies to ensure the social determinants are at the core of health care transformation efforts.
For more information please go to www.mapublichealth.org.
MPHA is seeking an Executive Director to lead the strategic implementation of MPHA’s goals, resource development strategies, advocacy and communication efforts that will continue to increase our impact statewide, expand policy wins, and build our member-activist network of partners and friends to address important public health concerns affecting the health and wellbeing of Massachusetts families. MPHA is wrapping up a 4-year strategic plan and the new Executive Director will work with the Board of Directors on developing the next plan. We seek a leader who has a commitment to social justice and who understands the reality that health outcomes are determined by social circumstances and governmental policies and that these circumstances must be addressed in order to reduce preventable chronic disease that is particularly prevalent in low income and communities of color.
Specifically, s/he will have exposure to the following qualifications including but not limited to:
- Must share a passion for MPHA’s values and vision;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Experienced manager with proven fundraising skills (private and public), budget and financial management, staff supervision and team building;
- Eight (8) or more years of senior management experience in an advocacy or community based organization;
- Proven leadership in and knowledge of the Massachusetts public health system;
- Strong public speaker;
- Keen understanding of community organizing and advocacy;
- Demonstrated communication skills including social media, conference presentations and legislative testimony;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and partners;
- Must be experienced working in multicultural, inclusive settings;
- Experience in building and expanding organizational memberships as well as community partnerships;
- Advanced Professional Degree in relevant area is preferred but not needed; and
- Experience working across a range of health issues and public policies.
Massachusetts Public Health Association has engaged Liz Lombard and Turner Delano of Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
MPHA is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation/identification or any legally protected status
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.