Preference: Washington, DC, NYC, NY, Toronto, ON, San Francisco, CA | May 7, 2020
About Mozilla Foundation
“The internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible”
THE MOZILLA MANIFESTO
Established in 2003, and guided by the Mozilla Manifesto, the Mozilla Foundation believes the Internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible to all. Mozilla’s mission is ambitious: making the health of the internet a mainstream issue. It is also vital: as centralization, surveillance, exclusion and other online threats proliferate, we need a movement to keep the web a global public resource. Mozilla’s programs operate at different scales and locations around the world, fueling the movement for a healthy Internet.
In 2020, the Mozilla Foundation has launched a multi-year investment strategy focused on advancing ‘Trustworthy artificial intelligence’ globally. As AI is dramatically changing our online lives, we seek to ensure that AI improves human experience through designing AI systems that allow for user agency and hold companies accountable for its results. Our approach to Trustworthy AI and an outline of our Theory of Change is described in greater detail here.
The Foundation is also the sole shareholder in the Mozilla Corporation, the maker of Firefox and other open source tools. Mozilla Corporation functions as a self-sustaining social enterprise – money earned through its products is reinvested into the organization.
For more information about Mozilla Foundation, visit https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/.
Mozilla Foundation is seeking a Director of Advocacy to help design and implement programs that shape and move public opinion to advance internet health. In particular, Mozilla’s advocacy program focuses on holding companies accountable for making meaningful changes within consumer technology products. To do this, our team powerfully shapes the agenda for action, designs public campaigns calling on specific product changes, generates earned media of our work to key audiences leading change in this space. The Director, along with the Director of Digital Engagement, reports to the Vice President, Advocacy and Engagement.
The Director provides the strategic leadership required to design and launch strategic communications, marketing and advocacy campaigns that advance Mozilla’s goals and impact.
Day-to-day, the Director will oversee the global campaign and marketing/communications teams with a combined staff of 10 FTEs and $2M budget. In addition to leading these teams, the Director will be an external representative for Mozilla Foundation through speaking engagements and partnerships with aligned organizations.
As a result of his/her/their work, Mozilla will:
- Lead advocacy campaigns that tangibly improve corporate practices and policies with regards to privacy, security, and use of AI in consumer products;
- Shape and be a leading, authoritative voice on topics related to platform accountability, trustworthy AI and internet health;
- Educate and engage an increased number of global consumers and key stakeholders on topics related to trustworthy AI, privacy & security and platform accountability;
- Collaborate with a larger number and more diverse set of global civil society organizations collaborating on our corporate accountability campaigns;
The Director must be a strategic and creative thinker who is passionate about driving action and impact. The ideal candidate will have an extensive background in developing and launching complex and impact-focused advocacy efforts, that include public campaigns, earned media and marketing efforts. We are looking for a flexible and dynamic change agent who is excited about the extensive opportunities (and understands the potential challenges) that come with leading advocacy efforts within a unique environment like Mozilla.
Core responsibilities include:
- Develop smart, creative advocacy campaigns that move the conversation about corporate accountability + consumer products forward
- A strategic communicator; someone who can use the fast news cycle to our advantage
- Bring movements and organizations that are – and those that aren’t but should be – talking about the influence on tech on their work in smart and effective ways
- Design & lead internal collaborations that leverage the skills and resources within Mozilla to good effect
- Lead and manage a globally dispersed team of ten individuals responsible for global campaigns and strategic communications and marketing
- Alongside the Vice President, Advocacy & Engagement and leaders from Mozilla’s community, serve as a spokesperson and bridge builder for Mozilla’s advocacy work
The Director of Advocacy should have experience at a world-class advocacy organization or social-good company leading teams and digital experiences that inspire change in the world. Ideal candidates will bring experience guiding campaigns, advocating for the changing digital landscape and crafting strategic marketing and communications.
Strong candidates will also offer:
- A passion and commitment to the Mozilla Manifesto and the Mozilla Foundation mission to protect and ensure an open and accessible Web for all
- A clear track record with both strategy development and execution
- Experience working on large scale advocacy campaigns and initiatives
- Experience managing a strong communications and marketing team
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to cultivating and leveraging networks or large external constituent groups
- A natural affinity for partnership and coalition building
- Experience developing and operationalizing strategies with clear and measurable benchmarks; ability to utilize data-driven decision-making to iterate during strategy implementation
- Excellent people management skills with ability to coach and develop high-performing teams; experience managing remote teams a plus
- Strong marketing and communications experience, particularly to meet a specific advocacy objective
- High level of cultural competence and experience working across cultures is essential
- Capable spokesperson and communicator with ability to translate the mission to a wide array of audiences
- At least seven years of senior management experience within a globally-focused advocacy organization
Additional skills and characteristics that indicate a strong fit with this opportunity include:
- Genuine excitement about the opportunity to work with a world class team that is focused on creating measurable social change
- Desire to collaborate with and serve as a thought partner to leading experts on issues of the Internet, privacy and access
- Experience working in line with the speed of today’s news cycles and policy changes
- Exceptional real time problem-solver: ability to roll with the punches and solve problems quickly as they arise
- Comfortable advising senior management and guiding and collaborating across all levels of an institution
- At ease navigating between all sectors – nonprofit, government and corporate – in the United States and globally
- Demonstrated ability to build positive culture and bring diverse groups together toward the achievement of common goals
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan, Founding Partners and Turner Delano, Vice President, are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Mozilla Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, veterans and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.