Memphis Music Initiative (MMI) invests in youth, local communities and Memphis’ musical legacy by broadening and strengthening existing music engagement offerings in and out of schools and supporting youth-centered, community-based music education. Memphis Music Initiative’s approach is three-tiered; through various unique interventions, the organization seeks to:
- Sustain existing in-school music education and expand instruction through partnerships with local musicians
- Expand high-quality, out-of-school time school programs to reach more youth and remove barriers to youth engagement and participation; and
- Support organizations that are providing music engagement enhance their sustainability and scale high quality programming.
This is a full-time position located in Memphis, TN. For more information on Memphis Music Initiative, please visit www.memphisismusic.org.
MMI is seeking an experienced fundraiser and grant writer to coordinate its development efforts. As MMI is transitioning from a fully funded initiative to a long-term nonprofit organization, it intends to pursue local, regional, national, and international funding opportunities. Memphis Music Initiative seeks a professional with a strong background in facilitating large grant proposals, national level relationship building, and strategic sourcing of development opportunities.
MMI is both a grant maker and a direct provider of youth engagement programming – with such a unique model, the organization seeking a creative professional who can tell a compelling narrative about MMI’s unique contributions to the community. MMI is not seeking a fundraiser who specializes in building programs to be funded; rather, it is looking for someone who can find the right partners to invest in the current model and evolving programs, providing underserved black and Latino young people in Memphis with stronger opportunities in music and the arts.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will:
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of an integrated development strategy, in alignment with the overall goals and strategic direction of MMI, incorporating foundation grants, multi-year campaigns, major gifts, corporate partners, and government support;
- With MMI Executive Director, Chief Operating and Strategy Officer and senior management team, determine revenue goals and monitor revenues;
- Work collaboratively with MMI Executive Director to build relationships with prospective donors and funding organizations; Initiate and cultivate donor contacts and identify donor prospects; provide briefings, research and context for ED to advance key relationships and build the partnerships behind the proposals;
- Oversee the creation and editing of grant proposals and reports, solicitation letters, and individual donor proposals, coordinating with program staff on content;
- Proactively seek new funding sources and maintain relationships with relevant partners and allies, determining the appropriate roles for staff and Board members to play in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects;
- Identify potential key influencers to join MMI Board of Directors and/or Development Committee. Effectively collaborate with and leverage connections from the Board to establish a broad base of support from diverse revenue streams; and
- Present information and updates on development activities to the Development Committee, ED, Board of Directors, and other constituencies. Monitor progress toward fundraising goals for all campaigns; organize and share regular updates with key constituent leaders including senior staff.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Memphis Music Initiative
- An accomplished front-line fundraiser with a minimum of five to seven years of proven success in development
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and success in foundation grants, major gifts and building corporate sponsorships
- Deep knowledge of fundraising best practices with a record of growth and innovation
- Well-developed communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to strategize, define and meet fundraising goals
- Ability to leverage digital and social media technology to support development strategy and partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Passion for music and arts education, advocate for underserved youth
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Significant track record of building and leading successful fundraising programs for nonprofit arts, cultural or educational organizations
- Strong existing relationships with national level funders
- Advanced, senior level skills in creating core narratives and messaging that preserves the integrity of programming while highlighting the investment opportunity for funders
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Relocation assistance may be available for the right candidate.
Memphis Music Initiative has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
Memphis Music Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, educational institutions and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.