Location Flexible, USA | October 29, 2020
MLT equips and emboldens high-achieving individuals from underrepresented communities – African American, Latinx, and Native American – to realize their full potential, to make a mark, and to make a difference. Our programs prepare individuals to secure career path post-college jobs that deliver economic mobility for their families, and then provides the social capital they need to become high-impact senior leaders who can transform our institutions and vulnerable communities. Spanning college through mid-career, our programs have driven breakthrough results for our community of more than 8,000 Rising Leaders and our 130+ partner organizations, including leading corporations, social-sector organizations, and universities.
Since our founding in 2002, we have benefitted from the support of our corporate partners, loyal alumni, a dedicated board, and an impressive network of individual and institutional donors. We are now at a pivotal point in our growth trajectory. Today, there is clarity in the philanthropic community that K-16 education is not reliably delivering economic mobility for people of color and that historic investments in attacking systemic inequities have fallen short. Third-party validation has shown that MLT’s interventions are addressing these issues, and the demand for our programs continues to grow. We are positioned to scale our impact dramatically over the next decade, so that we can ensure that talented young people are able to go as far as their abilities and hard work can take them.
To learn more about MLT, please visit www.mlt.org.
Over the last few years, philanthropic support for our work has grown tremendously, and we will build on this momentum to support our plans to scale. The Director of Donor Engagement & Strategy role is a new position and a key team member within our development team. We are seeking a talented individual who can help us build our philanthropic engine, with specific responsibility for implementing the strategy, infrastructure, and relationship management practices involved in cultivating and growing a robust individual donor base. The Director will be responsible for creating and operationalizing programs for individual donors at all levels, from 6- and 7-figure investments from high net worth individuals, to mid-range and lower-dollar donors, including current supporters and high-potential prospects. The position reports to the Vice President, Finance & Development, and will work in close collaboration with leadership across the organization to build effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans. The Director will also manage an assigned donor portfolio.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Develop and implement the strategy for a comprehensive individual donor giving and engagement program, including examining the opportunities within MLT’s current and prospective donor bases and:
- Creating robust engagement programs for specific audiences, including our alumni and grateful parents, as well as prospective and current donors without these affiliations
- Implementing effective research, network mapping, and moves management practices to expand MLT’s donor programs and increase giving
- Providing support and strategic advice to MLT leadership and board in their engagement with donors
- Ensuring a multifaceted stewardship program, including events and customized communication, that will deepen ties with donors
- Working with the Vice President, Finance & Development to establish appropriate goals for growth in our donor base and revenue from individuals
- Directly manage a portfolio of select donor relationships
- Collaborate with marketing and communications colleagues to maximize fundraising opportunities through messaging and collateral materials
- Partner with the Alumni Engagement team, ensuring opportunities for alumni to become donors and MLT ambassadors
The ideal candidate will demonstrate many, if not all, of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- You have a passion for MLT’s mission, ideally bringing experience with and insight into the communities we serve and the problems we are addressing.
- You bring substantial experience in nonprofit fundraising, including prior success in growing philanthropic revenue in a multi-million-dollar organization. You have a track record of success in securing five-figure gifts and experience developing strategies for cultivating and closing six-figure gifts.
- You are comfortable working on a relatively small, nimble, and growing team and are able to toggle between strategic thinking and detail-oriented implementation.
- You are experienced in building the strategy, tools, and processes that support successful donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, as evidenced by revenue and donor base growth.
- You have demonstrated success in expanding donor bases, including engaging non-traditional donors, through effective research and prioritization of high-potential prospects.
- You are a persuasive communicator, confident in crafting audience-centered presentations and materials, and possess excellent written and verbal skills.
- You demonstrate leadership in your day-to-day work, whether supporting senior executives and board members in their roles in donor relationship management or partnering with colleagues across the organization.
- You are intrinsically motivated, highly accountable, and committed to excellence. You are motivated and energized by a culture of high expectations and data-driven decision-making.
Compensation & Benefits
MLT offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience and skill fit, and a comprehensive range of employee benefits and perks, including:
- Health and dental insurance
- Workplace and work hour flexibility
- Paid holidays
- Transit benefits
Community (notably in non-pandemic times)
- Attendance at MLT alumni events
- Weekly social gathering
- Great location for DC-based staff with Metro access, featuring restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques
- Complimentary or subsidized access to nation-wide professional development offerings (at events or via online platforms)
- Skill-development seminars hosted by our industry-leading partners
- Team lunch-and-learns
- Transform lives and contribute to a larger social cause of economic mobility for Black, Latinx, and Native American professionals while championing diversity, equity, and inclusion in top institutions across the country
- Make your mark during a critical growth phase for MLT
MLT is open to candidates for this role who are interested in working from any location within the U.S.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Cassie Scarano and Kirstin Griffiths are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit https://talent-profile.koyapartners.com/search/4188. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
MLT is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.