Detroit, MI | October 6, 2020
About Michigan United
Michigan United organizes to build the power our communities need to win the justice they deserve. We’re working for an equitable and sustainable world that reflects our values of economic and racial justice. We are a coalition of labor, business, social service and faith-based members all across Michigan, fighting for the rights of Michigan’s diverse communities that have often been left behind.
In 2012, the Michigan Organizing Project (MOP) and the Alliance for Immigrant Rights (AIR) merged to form a statewide organization of churches, labor, and community groups to ensure that our economy works for the many, our civil rights are protected, and our democracy is strong. Together, along with our member institutions and individuals, we seek to affirm the fundamental dignity of working families, shape our political future, and achieve an economically and racially just society for our communities. In March of 2013, after a yearlong merger of the organizations, a transitional board was established, and a new name was picked to represent this new union. Together, we are Michigan United.
Michigan United’s work over the years exemplifies empowering grassroots organizing with the belief that we always have the power to unite with our neighbors and fight to make things better. Whether it’s ensuring that local officials make county government accessible to immigrants, or that everyone can find rental housing regardless of their criminal record, we can win. In the process, we build up our communities’ capacity to create the world we want. And we take our power back while building our democracy from the ground up. Michigan United, along with Michigan People’s Campaign, our affiliated 501(c)(4), is serious about building long-term, political power with the aim of transforming our political and economic system into one that puts people and the planet first.
As Michigan United:
- We believe each individual has the right to achieve their full human potential and to live in dignity.
- We believe our government and economy should provide for the common good and be accountable to all our communities, not just the powerful.
- We believe in our compassionate obligation toward our neighbors, and to support their struggles toward fulfillment and liberation.
- We believe people of conscience and people of faith have an obligation to step forward in leadership to ensure that our government and economy reflect our values of dignity, fairness, equity, and opportunity.
- We believe in the power of democracy and non-violence.
- We believe it is our mission to work together to build the power we need to win the justice our communities deserve.
For more information on Michigan United please visit www.miunited.org.
Michigan United is at an exciting moment in our history as the founding Executive Director transitions and the organization seeks their next Executive Director (ED). This vibrant and dynamic organization is looking for a creative and entrepreneurial leader who will provide the strategic vision, oversight, and leadership to drive the organization to the next level of impact.
The Executive Director will be a critical thinker and problem solver capable of moving Michigan United towards a long-term vision by creating innovative strategies and leading through a period of change. In addition, the ED will bring a highly focused racial and social justice lens and will be a champion of and exhibit an abiding passion and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion values. The ED will have a demonstrated track record in advancing these values both internally within the organization, as well as externally in the larger community. The ED will also support, sustain, and grow a collaborative work environment that attracts and retains a motivated, diverse, and mission-driven staff.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
Strategic Vision & Leadership
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the Michigan United Board
- Shape a unifying strategy to support all activities within Michigan United
- Demonstrated ability to be a strategic leader and articulate a vision for the organization
- Ability to set priorities decisively, delegate responsibilities, assure accountability and allocate resources to ensure results
- Ideally will bring community organizing and/or community-driven electoral experience
- Demonstrated success in team leadership, with a successful track record of recruiting, inspiring, and retaining a diverse, mission-driven team
- Apply a focus on thoughtful and intentional organizational development with a commitment to professional growth for team members at all levels
- Dedication to building a workplace centered in equity and fairness, with demonstrated appreciation for driving conversations around race, class, gender, and other aspects of identity
- Success managing a highly accomplished and successful staff with focus on collaborative leadership and strong racial justice, gender justice, and social equity lenses
Operations and Financial Acumen
- Bring strong experience with strategic financial oversight and a comprehensive record of overseeing various functions of an organization
- Steward and engage the Michigan United Board around the work of the organization
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Michigan United, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Overseeing all financial, operational, and administrative functions, including grant oversight, working in consultation and partnership with the Michigan United team
- Be a builder with the ability to set priorities decisively, delegate responsibilities, assure accountability and allocate resources to ensure results
Strong External Ambassador
- Will serve as an external ambassador with media, donors, partner organizations, and other important constituents and representing Michigan United’s values to the community
- Experience building and managing alliances and coalitions that deliver results
- Oversee fundraising and other revenue-generating strategies, including support from individual donors, foundations, governments, and corporations to consistently support current and new initiatives
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing revenue-generating and fundraising strategies in support of an organization’s mission
- Can bring an entrepreneurial approach to revenue generation and an understanding of nonprofit finance, grantmaking, and various revenue streams
Compensation & Benefits
While Michigan United is targeting a salary range of $85,000 – $100,000, commensurate on the candidate’s skills and experiences, we are open to feedback from the market and would welcome the ability to connect with potential candidates who may be outside of the compensation band. Michigan United is committed to equity in pay practices.
As a racial and economic justice organization, we actively encourage individuals who are underrepresented on the basis of race, ethnicity, income, and sexual orientation, as well as those who share the life experiences of the members we serve, to apply.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Alicia Salerno is leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link here. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.