About The Maine Community Foundation
Founded in 1983, the Maine Community Foundation’s mission is to improve the quality of life for all Maine people. In a state that covers more than 35,000 square miles and has a population of more than 1.3 million people, the foundation currently manages nearly $700 million in assets, making it one of the top 50 community foundations by size in the country. With dedicated endowments for each of the 16 counties, and local advisors who award grants based on local needs, MaineCF also serves as a national model for maximizing the model of rural philanthropy.
In 2016, following a programmatic refresh, MaineCF identified five priority goals for the foundation: a healthy and strong start for all children, access to education, racial equity, thriving older people and entrepreneurs and innovators. Our Community Building Grant Program supports a broad range of projects and organizations across the state, from arts to youth development. Our commitment to education is bolstered by the generosity of individuals, community organizations and businesses that allow us to award more than $2 million in scholarships every year. We have supported efforts to increase equity including establishing a Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) Fund, and we are exploring ways to address the rapidly changing climate, through our existing programs and the development of new strategies as opportunities arise. In 2020 alone, MaineCF awarded more than $52 million in grants and scholarships across the state.
At this critical time in the foundation’s history, the Board of Directors has embarked on a rigorous organization-wide, strategic planning effort designed to chart a new path forward. For the past 38 years, Maine Community Foundation has stayed true to its roots – working with donors and other partners to improve the quality of life for all Maine people. That enduring mission continues to inspire us to innovate to respond to changing needs as we look to an exciting and impact-focused future for the foundation.
- Integrity: We earn trust by being honest and open in everything that we do.
- Respect: We treat everyone with dignity and civility.
- Stewardship: We manage the resources entrusted to us responsibly.
- Equity: We promote just and fair access to opportunities for all people.
- Collaboration: We work with others to achieve common goals.
For more information on Maine Community Foundation, please visit www.mainecf.org
The Maine Community Foundation is seeking a dynamic, intellectually curious and experienced leader to serve as its President & CEO and to guide the organization’s next chapter of work and impact. This is an unparalleled opportunity to serve as a key statewide leader and to significantly increase the Foundation’s impact in the years to come. The Board of Directors will look to its next President & CEO to think creatively and strategically about the current opportunities and challenges facing Maine and propose ways the Foundation can continue to serve as an engine for change.
The President & CEO leads and directs the advancement and fulfillment of the mission of the Foundation. The President & CEO is responsible for the achievement of all operational and strategic goals, including fund and donor development, fiscal management, grants and programming, board relations, staff oversight, community relations and administrative matters.
Key responsibilities of the next President & CEO include:
- Work with the Foundation Board and staff to advance the goals and objectives of the Foundation and bring fresh ideas and innovation to drive the next chapter of impact for the organization;
- Cultivate relationships with the Foundation Board, facilitating its work as a governing body and its continuation as a cohesive and engaged group;
- Lead, partner with, inspire and support a talented and highly engaged staff;
- Play a leadership role statewide, identifying, communicating and seeking ways of addressing community challenges. Promote the Foundation as a thought leader, convener and community leader;
- Ensure that the Foundation is an effective voice with Maine’s many and diverse audiences, highlighting racial equity as an important factor for the Foundation’s philanthropic agenda;
- Lead efforts to grow the assets of the Foundation; work directly to ensure continued commitment of current contributors and the engagement and stewardship of new and prospective donors;
- Oversee program and grantmaking work, including leading continuous learning and improvement and consideration of ways to increase impact;
- Ensure that internal systems and technologies are best in class and allow for exceptional customer service;
- Take initiative in encouraging communication and developing cooperative efforts with other civic and not-for-profit leaders across the state;
- Be a visible representative of the Foundation at events and in ways that enhance its image and increase awareness of its activities. Spend significant time traveling throughout the state to build networks that advance the Foundation’s mission;
- Promote MaineCF’s culture of integrity, respect, stewardship, equity and collaboration internally and externally, encouraging challenging, but critical, conversation as needed;
- Seek out new and innovative approaches to community impact and ways to generate increased philanthropic resources for key initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
A Strategic and Visionary Leader
The President & CEO will be an influential and inspirational leader who, in partnership with the Board and staff, sets and clearly articulates a vision for the Foundation and how it can effectively deploy its human and financial assets to positively impact the Maine community. The President & CEO will bring experience leading organizations through times of growth and transition. With a keen understanding of the potential of a community foundation to use its leadership status and grantmaking in combination, the President & CEO will harness that influence for community improvement. The President & CEO will be skilled at building partnerships with leaders in the state and using the Foundation’s influence to advance its mission and strategic priorities. The President & CEO will be forward-thinking and driven to uncover new approaches and ideas for the Foundation to consider.
External Ambassador and Fundraiser
The President & CEO will be an “Ambassador” for the Foundation, always looking for ways to promote the organization’s work and impact. A warm, engaging communicator who brings a passion for articulating the values of the Foundation to the community, the President & CEO will have a genuine interest in ensuring best-in-class donor services and connecting with all supporters of the Foundation. The President & CEO will have exceptional listening and interpersonal skills with the ability to build and sustain strong support across a wide range of statewide stakeholders, including donors, grantees, Board members, staff, investment professionals, elected officials and the larger community. The President & CEO will be comfortable asking for support and will be able to develop a powerful sense of shared purpose in others and motivate them to engage in the future of the Foundation. The President will enjoy sharing the value of working with the Foundation to achieve philanthropic goals with existing and potential donors, inspiring confidence and generating buy-in and support.
Governance and Management Acumen
The ideal candidate will be experienced at building and working with an engaged Board of Directors. They will guide the Board in meeting its governance responsibilities in a productive, efficient and collaborative manner. The President & CEO will be a proven leader with extensive staff, operational and financial management experience. The President & CEO will possess the ability to clearly articulate the Foundation’s strategy and inspire and empower an exceptional staff to execute on that vision. The President will foster and encourage a culture of growth through a relationships-first mentality, leading through deep listening, empathy and respect. With clear priorities and strong communication, the President will encourage collaboration across functional areas and help all staff to understand their role in achieving the Foundation’s strategic goals, leading to strong team cohesion and respect. The President will be a facilitator of staff and Board teamwork, with the ability to provide clear expectations and accountability measures for staff deliverables while encouraging innovation and initiative.
Passion for the Mission
The President will bring a true passion for the work of community foundations, an understanding of the broad geographic diversity in the state and a deep desire to connect with all residents of Maine. Working in close collaboration with the staff and Board, the President will be motivated to achieve the greatest possible impact through the use of the Foundation’s resources and through on-the-ground outreach throughout the state. The President will exhibit a capacity to listen, a willingness to advocate and motivate, and a dedication to the improvement of the state. It will be imperative that the President & CEO demonstrates empathy, treats others with respect and always stays true to the values of the Foundation. The ideal candidate will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values, someone who can be trusted without reservation.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Maine Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.