Washington, DC | June 29, 2021
About the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream
On July 4th, 2023, the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream will open its doors in Washington D.C. to visitors from around the world. Our Visitor Center, based in beautiful and historic bank buildings on Pennsylvania Avenue across from the U.S. Treasury and the White House, will contain interactive exhibits and state-of-the-art technology focused on telling the dynamic story of the American Dream. But in 2021, long before its physical doors open, the Center has become home to an online community and gathering place, where we host virtual exhibits, educational programming, inspiring videos, podcasts, blogs, and global competitions and contests.
Unlike traditional museums, the Center will focus on shaping the aspirations, mindsets, and skill sets of those who visit and participate, both online and in-person. The ideal at the heart of the American Dream speaks to the aspirations of people everywhere: No matter who you are or where you come from, you should have the opportunity to build the life you want to live. Our purpose is to make the American Dream an attainable reality for people everywhere— across America and around the world.
That’s why we focus on expanding access to four pillars that support the American Dream, providing the tools that equip people to transform dreams into realities:
- education and the educator
- public health and medical research
- access to capital and economic freedom
- entrepreneurship and innovation
The Center’s success will be measured by the extent to which visitors are empowered and equipped with the skills, resources, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to build a fulfilling and secure life for themselves and their families.
For more information on the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream please visit www.mcaad.org.
As an integral member of MCAAD’s leadership team, the Head of Marketing and Communications will oversee all aspects of a comprehensive initiative for the Center that addresses its marketing needs at the institutional, outreach and corporate levels. The Head of Marketing and Communications will develop and execute a strategic marketing plan for the Center’s opening and for its continuing operations, including the Center’s conference, meetings, and events facilities. The Head of Marketing and Communications will oversee and executive MCAAD’s digital strategy, including thought-leadership and policy influence programs, broader engagement campaigns, social media, online community building, website management and website strategy development. The Head of Marketing and Communications will oversee MCAAD’s brand and design functions, including brand disciplines and the provision of design services for MCAAD teams. The Head of Marketing and Communications will report to MCAAD’s Strategy and Communications Advisor.
While it is understood that no one candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic, the following offers an aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile.
- Oversee the developing and execution of a strategic marketing plan for the Center’s opening, its continuing operations and for the accompanying conferences, events and other facilities
- Develop and execute high-impact, creative ideas designed to guide long-term positioning for the Center and messaging using paid and earned media
- Engage with key traditional and online communications media outlets in DC and nationally to promote the role and mission of MCAAD, the visitor Center and events.
- Direct advertising and paid media requirements
- Manage key vendor agency relationships for marketing and communication to support the delivery of this strategy
Campaigns and Outreach
- Oversee and executive MCAAD’s digital strategy, including thought-leadership and policy influence programs, broader engagement campaigns (e.g., competitions or prizes), social media, online community building, website management and website strategy development
- Work with the Thought Leadership Team to generate online and event influence campaigns and on specific themes consistent with MCAAD’s mission
- Work with members of the Program and Partnership teams to design marketing campaigns around other programs that might attract co-sponsorship
- Oversee MCAAD’s brand and design functions, including brand disciplines, and provision of design services for MCAAD teams
- Lead a talented and multi-faceted team of marketing professionals, digital experts, publication specialists and writers
- Coordinate with the Milken Institute and other Milken entities to fully exploit synergies
- Assist project teams with conducting measurement activities to evaluate the effectiveness of marketing efforts towards achieving intended outcomes
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- 10+ years of relevant experience at an NGO, cultural institution, higher education or think tank
- Must have advanced digital skills
- Proven experience managing an interactive digital presence across multiple platforms
- Experience with event marketing, including large fundraising events and conferences
- Some experience with Product launch is a plus
- An ethic of leadership, collaboration, and mentorship
- Positive personal attitude that includes being outgoing, entrepreneurial, action-oriented, flexible, with a willingness to adapt to changing situations and having a good sense of humor
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire
- Have necessary authorizations to work in the United States of AmericaCompensation & Benefits
Compensation & Benefits
The annual base compensation for this role will start at $150,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
MCAAD has engaged Koya Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Turner Delano here.
The Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Milken Institute, a, 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Santa Monica. The Center is headquartered in Washington, DC. Its mission is to make the American Dream an attainable reality for everyone. The mission of the parent, the Milken Institute, is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health. The Center offers an excellent benefit package including medical/dental, LTD, Life, Flex Spending Program, and a 403(b) tax-deferred retirement savings plan. E.O.E.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.