Washington, DC | September 15, 2020
About Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream
In three years, the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream (CAAD) will open its doors to millions of visitors from around the world. Steps from the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue, facing the historic U.S. Treasury Building, the Center will be housed in historic bank buildings on the National Historic Register and will attract a broad cross-section of visitors to our nation’s capital. School children, museumgoers and history buffs, young and old, will be introduced via the Center to the most innovative leaders in education, science, government and business from around the world. Millions more visitors will also be able to enter the Center’s “virtual doors” when it launches an online collection of American dream films, podcasts, educational curricula, and other resources.
The Center’s mission is twofold: to tell the dynamic story of the American Dream, replete with its historical challenges and personal triumphs; and to secure the Dream for future generations by convening and galvanizing thought leaders, government officials, philanthropists and others dedicated to making the Dream an attainable reality for all, not only in America, but throughout the world. The Center for Advancing the American Dream will combine active learning experiences, exhibitions, online programming, competitions, performances, speakers and colloquia, all designed to inspire informed, constructive, nonpartisan dialogue focused on four pillars supporting the American Dream: education and the educator, public health and medical research, entrepreneurs and innovation, and economic freedom and access to capital.
For more information on the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream, please visit the website.
The Opportunity and Responsibilities
Because of the visibility and scope of the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream (MCAAD), as well as its affiliation with many high-profile individuals and organizations, the head of communications and marketing is a crucial position that requires a senior and highly experienced executive with proven skills in external communications, corporate branding, media engagement, crisis management, social media and website management, operational know-how and strategic thinking. The Chief Communications and Marketing Officer (CCMO) will need to develop a comprehensive strategy for MCAAD as well as build out a team of communication and marketing specialists. This position will report to MCAAD’s Chief Operating Officer and will work closely with the President of MCAAD and the Chairman of the Milken Institute.
In addition to being a strategic thought partner to the COO and President, the ideal candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversee development of strategic communications engagement strategies and implement strategic marketing tactics in support of campaigns, programs and events.
- Manage all MCAAD communications and marketing activities, including issues management, brand development, media relations, advertising, collateral development, web communications and social media campaigns, crisis and litigation communications and internal communications.
- Develop plans to reach the media, general public and target audiences through traditional media outlets, social media, press releases and other relevant materials and sources.
- Develop and execute high-impact, creative ideas designed to guide long-term positioning and messaging.
- Lead a talented and multi-faceted team of communications and marketing professionals, digital experts, publication specialists and writers.
- Collaborate with the senior management to create and drive a plan for public and media engagement of the President, and direct speechwriting for President and other senior staff.
- Supervise all of MCAAD’s social media, online community building, website management and website strategy development.
- Cultivate media sources both internal and external; providing spokesperson training to volunteer leadership and staff.
- Manage crisis communications and response, and coordinate as needed with the Milken Institute.
- Work with media and other third-party vendors to provide traditional and non-traditional media sponsorship opportunities.
- Coordinate all promotional activities with media sponsors, advisory board members and the Milken Institute.
- Manage and direct a portfolio of projects, working closely with program managers to ensure successful delivery of programs.
- Assist project teams with conducting measurement activities to evaluate the effectiveness of communications efforts towards achieving intended outcomes.
- Create and implement forward-thinking, organization-wide communications and messaging to promote MCAAD’s mission and work, and monitor the use of MCAAD’s name and logo by internal teams and media sponsors.
- Create innovative messaging to diverse audiences, including the general public as well as the media, policy makers and supporters.
- Generate strong, positive press coverage and oversee the quality and consistency of message in all organizational materials.
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- At least 20 years’ professional experience as a senior executive within a large firm, including planning, developing, executing and assessing comprehensive strategic communications and marketing campaigns;
- Experience leading large extended teams of communications and media professionals;
- Demonstrated ability to serve as the key spokesperson and media contact for a large-scale organization;
- Experience negotiating and managing large contracts with outside service firms;
- Extensive experience in crisis communication and response;
- Demonstrated excellence in staff and organization management, including implementation of corporate communication and marketing standards;
- Experience working with Board members, corporate sponsors, and high-profile individuals including development and roll out of corporate branding;
- New media marketing experience that includes digital, social media and online outreach;
- Proven success in strategic communications and understanding of the philanthropic world;
- Experience with museums, public spaces and think-tanks is a plus;
- Ability to mentor and lead a team of highly capable professionals and aid in their career development;
- Masters’ or professional degree preferred;
- Exceptional oral and written communication abilities;
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details and high standards of excellence;
- Experience working in multicultural environments;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, HTML, content management systems and desktop publishing software; and
- Have the necessary authorizations to work in the United States of America.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Katie Bouton and Turner Delano are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
To formally express interest, a candidate should submit a cover letter, resume and short writing sample. All application materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected. Applicants will be assessed on a rolling basis.
About the Milken Center for Advancing for the American Dream
The Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream was founded by philanthropist Michael Milken and is supported by people who believe anyone with a dream and the drive to achieve it should have the opportunity to make it come true – through good health, good education, and an economic system that works for all.
Our mission: To make the American Dream an attainable reality for millions of people around the world, by expanding access to education, health, and economic freedom, and by empowering an entrepreneurial mindset that takes full advantage of opportunity.
About the Milken Institute
The Center is a division of the Milken Institute, a globally engaged, publicly supported, non-partisan, nonprofit think tank with offices in Santa Monica, California, Washington, D.C., London, and Singapore. Its mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health. The Milken Institute offers an excellent benefit package including medical/dental, LTD, Life, Flex Spending Program, and a 403(b) tax-deferred retirement savings plan. E.O.E.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com