MLT is the premier career development institution that equips high potential African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans with the key ingredients—skills, coaching and door-opening relationships—that unlock their potential. By cracking the code on career potential, MLT is developing the next generation of minority leaders for the corporate, entrepreneurial, and non-profit sectors, who will in turn have transformational impact on our communities. MLT delivers programming that puts minorities on the fast track to success at every stage of their careers: from College through MBA and the Executive levels.
MLT is in a period of significant organizational growth. Working in partnership with 60 blue chip corporations and foundations including Google, Goldman Sachs and Proctor & Gamble, along with 30+ top business schools, the organization has achieved breakthrough results; and is building the infrastructure to triple the programs over the next three to five years.
MLT is seeking a highly experienced Managing Director of Development to build and lead the organization’s philanthropic fundraising efforts. The Managing Director of Development will be a key thought leader at MLT and work closely with the Founder/CEO, Vice President Partnerships, Board of Directors and key stakeholders to develop and execute successful strategies to expand MLT’s base of individual and foundation funding.
While MLT will continue to expand its existing funding streams, MLT will also scale their philanthropy and foundation donor fundraising efforts. The Managing Director will have primary responsibility for accelerating MLT’s fundraising efforts with high-net worth individuals, foundations and alumni. Reporting to the CEO, John Rice, and working closely with the Vice President, Partnerships, this position is full-time and located at MLT’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
The ideal candidate for the Managing Director position will have significant experience and proven success with individual fundraising, as well as designing and implementing innovative development strategies and systems to drive increased philanthropic giving. S/he should be adept at cultivating individual donors, engaging with senior leaders as well as building an emerging fundraising department and team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create, lead, and implement MLT’s donor engagement strategy with high net worth individuals and foundations that reinforces the value of the MLT network for stakeholders
- Develop annual fundraising plans and oversee execution to ensure MLT meets quarterly and annual philanthropic fundraising goals
- Direct all fundraising activities, including identifying opportunities and prospecting, implementing targeted strategies for each opportunity, and soliciting and stewarding donors
- Manage the planning and execution of MLT’s annual giving campaign
- Develop and manage the execution of MLT’s Alumni fundraising efforts in conjunction with MLT’s Alumni Engagement team
- Develop communications collateral for fundraising initiatives in partnership with MLT’s marketing team
- Oversee MLT’s foundation solicitation and reporting
Donor Engagement and Stewardship
- Collaborate closely with CEO and Board of Directors to cultivate and engage a pipeline of potential donors already in MLT’s network by creating opportunities to strengthen relationships and deepen connections
- Develop and execute periodic fundraising and donor cultivation events while engaging and stewarding relationships with prospective funders.
Strong candidates will bring deep solicitation and relationship management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, exceptional judgment, and the ability to thrive in a rapidly scaling, entrepreneurial environment.
Candidates should also possess:
- Proven track record of success as a key fundraiser for an organization: cultivated, solicited and closed major gifts, built and executed donor cultivation campaigns, and advised a Board of Directors and executive leadership on fundraising initiatives and strategies
- Successful track record of at last 10 years of progressive experience within individual-focused fundraising within non-profits and/or educational institutions, with a minimum of 15 years’ overall professional experience
- Experience planning and implementing fundraising programs and projects to strategically engage MLT alumni
- Successful experience raising funds from high net worth individuals who support educational, career orientated leadership, or other related causes.
- Strong ability to deliver compelling formal and informal communications about the MLT mission and goals. A mature, compelling storyteller whose message will resonate with diverse audiences
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Experience developing a strategic vision for development and the ability to translate that vision into a comprehensive, actionable fundraising plan with measurable outcomes
- The ability to bring leverage to a dynamic, engaged CEO and Board of Directors to develop and execute strategic fundraising initiatives
- Passion for fundraising, as well as for MLT’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in Business Administration, Education, or related fields preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. MLT offers a comprehensive and generous benefits package.
MLT has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/814
MLT is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
MLT is the premier career development institution that equips high potential African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans with the key ingredients—skills, coaching and door-opening relationships—that unlock their potential. By cracking the code on career potential, MLT is developing the next generation of minority leaders, for the corporate, non-profit and entrepreneurial sectors, who will in turn have transformational impact on our communities.
MLT delivers programming that puts minorities on the fast-track to success at every stage of their careers: from College through MBA and the Executive levels. MLT is a leading source of minority talent for top graduate business schools and for many of the nation’s premier corporations including Google, Goldman Sachs, and Proctor and Gamble. MLT’s innovative solution has also resulted in strategic partnerships with leading philanthropies such as New Profit, Inc. and the Annie Casey Foundation. MLT has been featured on the cover of Fortune, CNN and other major outlets. For more information visit www.ml4t.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.