Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, Advancement Project exists to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. Advancement Project uses innovative tools and strategies to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change.
Founded by a team of veteran civil rights lawyers in 1999, Advancement Project works on the ground to help organized communities of color dismantle and reform the unjust and inequitable policies that undermine the promise of democracy. The organization is involved in some of the most high profile movements in the country, including the fights to protect voting rights and end police brutality. Advancement Project is known as a high impact organization among foundations.
Advancement Project seeks an experienced, motivated, and talented individual to join the leadership team as the organization’s Managing Director of Development. This position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Co-Director. The Managing Director of Development will be responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive development strategy to raise organizational budget of $7M through diverse funding streams.
To learn more about Advancement Project, please visit: http://www.advancementproject.org/.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- In partnership with the Co-Directors, Board, and relevant committees, direct all of the fundraising activities of the national office, including identifying funding opportunities from foundations and corporations, prospecting individual and major donors, and implementing targeted strategies for each opportunity
- Strengthen existing relationships with funders, ensuring they are appropriately engaged and invested in the Advancement Project mission
- Create, lead, and implement Advancement Project‘s donor engagement strategy with high net worth individuals and foundations
- Oversee Advancement Project’s foundation solicitation and reporting
- In partnership with the Managing Director of Communications, execute strategies to increase the visibility of the organization, including design and development of all marketing materials
Leadership & Management
- Serve as a key member of Advancement Project’s senior leadership team, providing strategic insight into organization-wide goal setting and prioritization
- Collaborate with internal staff to drive cross-functional initiatives and projects
- Manage a development team to achieve department goals
Strong candidates will bring deep solicitation and relationship management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, exceptional judgment, and have an unwavering commitment to the mission of Advancement Project.
Candidates should also possess:
- A broad background of fundraising experience (e.g., foundations, individual giving, major gifts, corporate gifts, and foundation relations), with particular strength raising funds from foundations and individuals, along with a thorough knowledge of fundraising principles
- A track record of having raised significant funds for nonprofit organizations
- Experience developing a strategic vision for development that supports the strategic direction of the organization; the ability to translate that vision into a comprehensive, actionable fundraising plan
- Proven expertise establishing and growing development functions that expand fundraising capabilities and outcomes
- Outstanding organizational and follow-through skills, including the ability to set, maintain, and meet deadlines
- Extensive experience interacting and working with high-level contacts, including board members, donors, and foundation officials
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write and speak clearly and effectively, as well as have superior presentation skills
- Demonstrated success as a leader, supervising, leading, and influencing a team of professionals
- Knowledge and understanding of structural racism and racial justice issues
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Advancement Project has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno at: https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/978.
Advancement Project is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Advancement Project:
Advancement Project is a next generation civil rights organization. We tackle inequity using innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, D.C. and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit: www.koyapartners.com.