iMentor is a nationally recognized, fast-scaling nonprofit organization that partners with high schools in low-income communities and matches every student in the school with a college-educated mentor. iMentor aims to increase college entrance and completion rates for first generation college students. Founded in 1999, iMentor has served 15,000 students in its first 15 years and aims to match 20,000 new students with mentors over the next five years.
iMentor seeks a highly skilled leader as Managing Director of Development (MDD) to steer the fundraising efforts of the organization at this important moment in its history. iMentor’s ability to achieve ambitious growth goals, while maintaining impact and solidifying itself as a leader in the college success space, will depend on its ability to build a best-in-class development function.
The MDD will oversee and lead all aspects of fundraising at iMentor, which will enable the organization to scale and serve more students in more cities around the country. The MDD will create iMentor’s first-ever national fundraising strategy as the organization expands from New York City to Chicago and the Bay Area. In the next three years, these efforts, when executed successfully, will result in doubling the organization’s revenue from $9.8M to $18M. S/he will manage and continue to build a high-performing development team of eight professionals with four direct reports.
This is a full-time position based in New York City.
Reporting to the Chief External Officer and a critical member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Managing Director of Development will oversee all aspects of fundraising for the organization, including spearheading a robust national fundraising strategy, leading a highly effective development team, working closely with the Chief External Officer and Chief Executive Officer to ensure that development efforts are in alignment with iMentor’s broader strategic vision and stewarding staff, the Board of Directors and other stakeholders to meet fundraising targets.
Specific responsibilities include:
Strategic Leadership & Management
- Lead the design and implementation of a fundraising strategy that meets or exceeds annual targets; apply best practices from the field; determine the most effective and efficient strategy to reach fundraising goals with resources available
- Effectively manage and inspire a team of eight experienced fundraising professionals, with four direct reports
- Serve as a member of iMentor’s Senior Leadership Team and play a critical role in organization-wide strategy and decisions
- Serve as an external ambassador for iMentor, powerfully articulating iMentor’s impact and situating iMentor’s work within the national context of education reform and college success initiatives that increases our breadth and depth of supporters
- Lead the development team in collaborative efforts to grow existing revenue streams both in New York City and nationally
- Develop and execute our national vs. local fundraising model, which will include defining expectations for the role of those entities, and creating the systems and tools that set up both national and local teams to be effective
Fundraising Management & Donor Cultivation
- Develop and manage a robust donor pipeline across all funding channels (corporate, foundation, individual and mentor giving) to meet annual fundraising goals and to position the organization to double its revenue ($9.8M to $18.9M) by 2018
- Partner closely with the Chief External Officer and Chief Executive Officer to deepen existing funder relationships, cultivate new supporters and thoughtfully leverage Board members and key supporters in fundraising efforts
- Create and execute a plan for donor stewardship that is thoughtful, nuanced, and ensures meaningful engagement for supporters, with specific focus on major donors, Board of Directors and Strategic Plan donors
- Identify new revenue sources and strengthen existing relationships, with a focus on increasing individual and mentor giving
- Work with development team members to pilot new funding strategies and initiatives, consistently refining efforts for maximum effectiveness
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep and sincere passion for iMentor’s mission, with a strong track record of managing a large, high performing team, successfully securing major gifts and/or grants, designing and executing strategy and, creating and stewarding relationships with thoughtfulness, consistency and precision.
Other desired qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Unwavering belief that every child deserves a college education
- 10 years of professional experience in development or partnership development, with a minimum of five years of senior development management experience in a high-growth, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated success and tenure in cultivating and soliciting six-to-seven figure gifts from high net worth donors, foundations, corporations and/or government funders
- Strong team leadership and management skills, with proven ability to coach, manage and build formidable development teams
- Excellent communicator at a variety of levels; exceptional presentation skills and the ability to educate and inspire a wide range of audiences
- Adept at building systems and processes to facilitate growth and effectiveness
- Bachelor’s degree required
Additional desired characteristics:
- Deep commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Strategic and innovative leader who can execute on shifting priorities simultaneously
- Self starter with a high level of flexibility, who thrives in a fast-paced environment and successfully manages shifting prioritiesThe ability to serve as a strategic thought partner and engage in creative, entrepreneurial thinking as well as the execution skills required to operationalize strategies and new initiatives
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with benefits that include:
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays + most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- A 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
iMentor has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Sam Simmons at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/938.
iMentor provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, iMentor complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory fingerprinting and criminal background check, conducted by the Division of Human Resources at the New York City Department of Education.
iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students from low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions.
Since 1999, iMentor has connected 13,000 students with mentors. This year, iMentor is serving 3,200 mentor-mentee pairs in New York City and 2,150 more nationwide. Over the next five years, iMentor will reach 20,000 new students across the country, doubling the organization’s annual enrollment in New York City and replicating to three new cities. In 2015, Chicago will be iMentor’s first new region.
iMentor has been recognized through funding by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Lumina Foundation, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, and the Robin Hood Foundation, and is a subgrantee of the federal Social Innovation Fund. As a team, iMentor is collaborative, staff bring passion and joy to this important work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by Opportunity Knocks and The Nonprofit Times.
Learn more about iMentor at www.imentor.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.