The Washington State Charter Schools Association (WA Charters) is a nonprofit organization established in 2013 to help advocate for, develop, and support the charter school movement across Washington State, with a focus on serving students and communities who have been historically underserved. The organization does this in a number of ways including advocacy, membership services, and programming delivered through their Leadership Center.
The WA Charters Leadership Center’s charge is to maximize the system-wide impact of the five-year school authorization window by actively incubating high-quality charter schools through the recruitment and development of school leaders, Board members, and community partners in order to prepare Washington’s at-risk students for college success. The Leadership Center works to ensure that Washington’s new charter schools open with the training and tools they need to successfully serve their communities.
WA Charters is seeking a strategic and experienced education leader to serve as the Managing Director of the Leadership Center. The Managing Director will be responsible for developing and expanding key partnerships in the education space and overseeing Leadership Center programming.
Programming at this time includes:
School Leader Incubation Program – A selective cohort program that provides customized support over a two-year period including weekly full-day seminars, residencies at high-performing charter schools, personalized coaching, application review and feedback, and coursework aligned to charter best practices conducted in partnership with local and national experts. In year two, this program expands to support all authorized school leaders.
Sector Leaders Program – A selective leadership program designed to cultivate future school board members, leaders, and employees, which includes an open workshop series on charter best practices open to education, advocacy, and community business leaders from all backgrounds.
CMO Incubation – Through the 2015 authorization cycle, we have assisted in recruiting and supporting the launch of two regional models in Washington: Summit Public Schools and Green Dot Public Schools. We endeavor to recruit additional CMOs to Washington to complement our local incubation strategy. Additional recruitment will continue to be in conjunction with support from funders, particularly The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Leadership Center Programming and Management
- Design and run school leader cohort programs that recruit, select, and develop school leaders to submit high-quality charter applications; launch high-quality charter schools prioritizing historically underserved student populations
- Research and develop leadership curriculum that can be transferable to districts, universities, and neighboring states
- Envisage, plan, and execute on new pipelines of work as needed and appropriate, i.e. teacher talent, community leader, and Board member pipelines
- Steward relationships with high-performing charter management organizations (CMOs) through coordinating shared services with current CMOs (Green Dot, Summit) and identifying and recruiting additional CMOs to Washington
- In partnership with the WA Charters CEO and CFO/COO, plan and oversee Leadership Center budget, with specific focus on priority-setting and identifying new funding resources to fulfill programming strategies
- Draft and manage completion of grant proposal deliverables, as needed
- Manage Leadership Center staff
- Track Leadership Center performance data
- Build strategic partnerships with area school district Human Resources departments, universities, community leaders, CMOs, and other stakeholders in order to have broad impact on the Washington and national education sector and enable joint leadership programming and teacher certification
- Develop partnerships with high-quality charter operators and service providers to develop a strong charter ecosystem in Washington State
- Coordinate with the WA Charters CEO and advocacy team and network with district leadership to foster, support, and advance charter-district collaboration through charter-district compacts and applications to become district authorizers
- Develop strategic relationships with complementary charter organizations and other organizations in the education reform space that could result in expansion or increased involvement of those organizations in Washington
- Design and host trips for strategic partners to observe high-quality charter schools
- Collaborate regularly with WA Charters CEO and CFO/COO on organizational strategy, mission/vision, expansion strategies, business modeling, etc.
- Engage with WA Charters Board and Washington State charter authorizers
- Pursue Leadership Center endeavors within the framework of the overall organization (communications, policy/advocacy, community partnerships, membership services, etc.)
- Coordinate the transition of leadership supports to membership services as schools progress through the authorization and incubation process
- Partner across the team to assist in WA Charters fundraising efforts, which may include drafting concept papers and delivering presentations and pitches
- Work with Communications and External Relations Manager to develop and manage external communications (such as website and collateral)
Ideal candidates will be excited to work in the dynamic and quickly moving landscape of Washington charter schools, to build collaborations throughout the Washington-based community of charter school organizations and partners, and to contribute to a high-performing and energetic team.
In addition, candidates should possess:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for WA Charters Leadership Center mission and theory of change
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- Administrative experience required; school leadership or CMO/central office instructional leadership preferred, with specific emphasis on professional development/adult learning and program design
- Extensive knowledge of education policy and reform, education entrepreneurship, and charter schools
- Track record of leadership and measurable accomplishments
- Entrepreneurial mindset, comfortable with ambiguity and able to work independently and in teams
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to work on several simultaneous tasks and projects
- Spirit of flexibility, openness to feedback, and commitment to continuous learning
- Good judgment and critical thinking while prioritizing problems to resolve and opportunities to pursue
- Ability to communicate effectively with and build consensus among people of varied backgrounds and experiences; strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to create, adjust, and implement strategic work plans
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Washington State Charter Schools Association has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/909.
Washington State Charter Schools Association is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Washington State Charter Schools Association:
WA Charters envisions high-quality public schools for all children in Washington and seeks to promote this vision by empowering students, families, and communities. WA Charters works to support charter schools at every stage of their development and believes that the innovation charter schools bring to Washington State can be a lever to improve educational outcomes across charter and traditional schools. Additional information can be found at www.wacharters.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.