About Leadership For Educational Equity:
Leadership for Educational Equity (LEE) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan leadership development organization dedicated to developing its members’ potential to ensure every child has the opportunity to receive an outstanding education.
Our kids and communities need more leaders who believe that educational inequity is a solvable problem. We believe that when our members are organized and reach positions of leadership, they’ll serve as a transformative force for students, communities and the broader movement for educational equity.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in continuous improvement. If you would like to become part of our team and join the fight for educational equity, or if you would simply like to learn more about what we do, please visit https://educationalequity.org
The Development team plays a critical role in advancing the mission of LEE by building, maintaining, and engaging a network to provide the resources for LEE’s work. A successful Vice President, Development will lead this team to innovatively expand this supporter network to enable LEE’s growth and continued success.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Vice President of Development will lead execution of fundraising strategies and build partnerships to leverage existing stakeholders and resources while working toward the organization’s goal of expanding and diversifying its networks and donor base. The Vice President, Development will work with current and prospective major donors, develop strategies for mid-tier donors and partners, and potentially create new programs to building bases of small donors. A successful candidate will:
- Develop and propose strategies for engaging with promising individuals and philanthropic organizations who align with our values to establish relationships, secure commitments for LEE support, and find new prospects to continue expanding our network.
- Create and prepare high-quality materials to interest and affirm current and future supporters in strategic ways that lead to stronger relationships and/or increased support.
- Steward relationships with current and future supporters through ongoing and strategic follow-up, communication, and outreach as needed.
In addition to these primary areas of focus around fundraising for LEE, a successful candidate may also seek support for specific political and nonprofit individuals and organizations relating to our members and their work across the nation.
The ideal candidate will be a values-oriented executive who approaches their work through a diversity and inclusion lens and will collaborate across the organization for the success of their team and LEE. This candidate will demonstrate the following competencies in their day-to-day work:
- Defining Opportunities and Problems: Identify and prioritize opportunities to pursue and problems to solve in a results- and action-oriented manner
- Set Vision and Direction: Establish a clear vision aligned with LEE’s goals and develop team and tasks in service of this vision
- Synthesize, Integrate, and Develop Strategies: Innovate meaningful, actionable strategies or solutions for organizational and team needs
- Production of Critical Fundraising Materials: Lead creation of high-priority and high-quality fundraising materials, including crafting key narratives
- Manage Team Execution: Assign, track, and prioritize work to ensure excellent outputs
- Collaborate to Achieve Outcomes: Effectively engage with others to achieve desired outcomes
- Design and implement a comprehensive development program and appropriate marketing strategies aligned to LEE’s goals; Develop strategies for and coordinate fundraising activities aligned to LEE’s goals
- Collaborate with staff members to identify avenues of economic support for programs/projects and get their investment in development efforts
- Work across teams to foster collaboration and investment in develeopment efforts and their critical role in the success of LEE
- Seek new individual funding sources with diligence and maintain relationships with current and past donors
- Represent LEE in meeting with potential funding sources
- Maintain ongoing contact with LEE staff regarding programs and plans
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Development department, ensuring timely and accurate gift processing, acknowledgements, and a positive donor experience
- Work closely with the executive director to ensure maximum clarity and effectiveness
- Organize large and small events to raise money and cultivate supporters as needed
- Guide supporter relations staff on fundraising approaches and manages a portfolio of donors for high touch cultivation and solicitation
Team and Organizational Stewardship
- Lead team of professionals by assigning work, setting priorities, evaluating performance, departmental skills, and experience needs and recruiting and developing talent for present and future departmental needs
- Develop annual budget and strategic goals for communications team that are aligned with organizational goals
- Build an inclusive team culture that values diverse perspectives and inspires team members to produce high-quality outputs
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising and development with progressive responsibility (depth of experience can be a substitute for years of experience)
- Strong personal passion for the education sector and deep faith in the mission of LEE
- Proven ability to engage others in a compelling, persuasive manner and build relationships around shared interest and beliefs
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as interpersonal skills
- High level of diplomacy and tact, including an appreciation for confidentiality
- Proven ability to perform in a collaborative, team-oriented environment with a strong customer orientation (internal and external)
- A hands-on, “roll up the sleeves,” action-oriented approach and comfort working with a strong, multi-disciplinary supporter relations team
- Proven ability to create and execute strategies to increase support
- Extensive experience cultivating and managing relationships with high-level donors and volunteers, including effectively engaging them in the fundraising process.
- Prior work with foundations, including identifying foundation prospects, cultivating and stewarding foundation relationships, and overseeing the development of proposals; experience writing grants is also helpful
- Capacity and willingness to function independently in a start-up culture and balance strategic functions with day-to-day management of relevant tasks
- Focus on results, with an honest and ethical approach to achieving these with intelligence, passion, and energy
- Ability to motivate and positively engage staff and management in ways that build trust and enthusiasmcompensation & benefits
- Experience working for a 501(c)4 non-profit
- Experience with the electoral cycle and political action committees
- Record of securing 7-figure gifts through multiple donor channels, including high net-worth individuals and foundations
Leadership for Educational Equity has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
Leadership for Educational Equity is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.